Super-Heavy Regimental classification

1126PLL

Hey guys, quick fluff question:

Are superheavy tanks an armoured regiment, or are they their own regimental classification? Or some other thing (e.g. "Super-Heavy Regiment is a subtype of Armored Regiment" or something).

Right now, my regiment is called the 2nd Concordian Independent Super Heavy Tank Armored Regiment (ISHTAR). That's clumsy but forms a neat acronym... anyways, they're independent because they prefer to fight together in ≥ company strength, like the Paragonians in the Baneblade novel series, rather than allowing their tanks  to be distributed out in onesies.

In official Departmento Munitorum documentation (say, if I was drawing my army list up to look like an official TO&E), would it be referred to as an "Armored Regiment", a "Super Heavy Tank Regiment", both, or what?

Also, just for info, it's divided into seven companies of three tanks, a support company (trojans, adeptus mechanicus support elements and their bodyguards), and a Regimental Command "company" (really just a coterie of bodyguards, adepts, hangers-on, etc. who hang out around the regimental commander). Katerina Malinenko is the regimental commander, but she rarely sees combat (mostly because it doesn't make sense to me that a regimental commander would be physically present on most battlefields at the 2000 points level).

When they were to domain of FW & not GW they USED to be Super Heavy Armoured Regiments, made up of several squadron ( 3-5) each of 3 -5 Troops.. each troop being an individual tank

Interesting, so they use the term Squadron where GW and Black Library used the term "Company", and a troop is a single tank. I can preserve that organization, of course, just with a few name swaps. Any idea on GW's opinion on the matter? There was some stuff in apoc a while back.

Super-Heavy Armored Regiment as a separate regimental category makes some sense, but I'm not sure if the difference in combat power between them and a regular Armored Regiment would warrant a separate classification...

Bear in mind i'm going off memory here as my 3rd Ed FW books are in my garage (some where!) and real world service could be colouring my terminology (British tanks are always squadrons).

As to the reason for being a different catergory (again going off memory here) then its not just combat power, its how they are used and supported.  plus each tank is a relic in its own right where as leman russ battle tanks are still being made.

At the time there were only half of the super heavy variants were actually made, the other variants where field shop repairs... eg shadowswords plasma destroyer couldnt be made anymore so when one was damaged they would replace the weapon and it became a different vairant.

Bear in mind i'm going off memory here as my 3rd Ed FW books are in my garage (some where!) and real world service could be colouring my terminology (British tanks are always squadrons).

As to the reason for being a different catergory (again going off memory here) then its not just combat power, its how they are used and supported.  plus each tank is a relic in its own right where as leman russ battle tanks are still being made.

At the time there were only half of the super heavy variants were actually made, the other variants where field shop repairs... eg shadowswords plasma destroyer couldnt be made anymore so when one was damaged they would replace the weapon and it became a different vairant.

Hm, alright, good points. I will try to draw up a hypothetical "in-universe" document and blat a link here for perusal. I think it'd be a fun and fluffy project.

Archived