Advice on Sanguinary Guard

BaldrickRSA

Hello all,

So I normally always run a squad of jump pack DC in any BA list I play. I love DC. I have decided to take the plunge and remove the DC option, and include an eight man squad of sanguinary guard. Three power fists, five encarmine blades and eight plasma pistol (287 points).

Just wondering if the eight plasma pistols is not too much of an overkill, and that I should rather use the points elsewhere.

Your thoughts....

Thanks

With the CA2018 points, I'm in the camp that powerfists is the way to go. Cheaper and better than swords/axe against the targets you want to smash sang guard into. 

Supporting cast is a libby dread with unleash rage and standard of sacrifice on a sang ancient.

Plasma pistols are very nice after CA2018, for just 2 points more than the garbage angelus boltguns they further push their usefulness against elite enemy units. You also get safe overcharging with heirs of azkalleon. 

Plasma/fists are pretty much the way to go, also I don't have enough fists/ plasma models to make it work... so yeah.

Just curious, are Sanguinary Guard WS2+ or WS3+? If they are WS3+, you might want to stick with your Escarmine weapons since they are all effectively Force Weapons, otherwise you are hitting on 4s. And with your Red Thirst chapter tactic, not having S8 isn't so bad, with S5, you are wounding everything minimum at 4+, even Knights.

If you are WS2+, then yeah, powerfists may be best as you have a better chance hitting and then wounding everything on 3+ or 2+, at least for first round.

Plasma/fists are pretty much the way to go, also I don't have enough fists/ plasma models to make it work... so yeah.

Just curious, are Sanguinary Guard WS2+ or WS3+? If they are WS3+, you might want to stick with your Escarmine weapons since they are all effectively Force Weapons, otherwise you are hitting on 4s. And with your Red Thirst chapter tactic, not having S8 isn't so bad, with S5, you are wounding everything minimum at 4+, even Knights.

If you are WS2+, then yeah, powerfists may be best as you have a better chance hitting and then wounding everything on 3+ or 2+, at least for first round.

Even at WS3+ the powerfists are better. That's just how overcosted the encarmine weapons are.

On a related note:

Where can I get powerfists for my SG, since there is just a single one in each box and I want to build a 10 man unit.

Some bitz stores sell them at reasonable prices, as does eBay. You can also use the Death Company power fist. It is not quite as ornate but still suitable Blood Angelish.

power-fist-blood-angel-bitz.jpg

I have 10, My end game is to eventually, have thirty in different styles to have some different options and maybe be able to run a golden host list.

I'm going to have

a 5-man of Plasma/Powerfists

a 5 man of Swords / Inferno Pistols

a 5 man of axes and Bolters

and 15 of swords and Bolters

I might change it If I get extra parts. But this is looking like a very long term option...

SG are WS3+ but even so, power fists are the best option. You may be at -1 to Hit but you will get at least +1 to wound against nearly all targets compared to the Glaive (+2 for T8+). Add to that you can easily give SG full rerolls to hit thanks to HoA but there is no way to get full rerolls to Wound.

The Encarmine axe is so badly overpriced it is not even funny. It costs as much as a Thunderhammer but is worse in every possible way. You can get almost 2 power fists for the price of an Encarmine axe.

Fists are the best option and Glaives are an acceptable compromise if you don't have enough bits or are worried about opponents who can stack negative to-Hit modifiers such as Eldar or Nurgle. Axes just don't have a role at their price.

Encarmine swords are strength user, which is only 4 for sanguard, not s5. You would need to bring along a sanguinary priest in order to bump them up to s5

On a related note:

Where can I get powerfists for my SG, since there is just a single one in each box and I want to build a 10 man unit.

Some bitz stores sell them at reasonable prices, as does eBay. You can also use the Death Company power fist. It is not quite as ornate but still suitable Blood Angelish.

power-fist-blood-angel-bitz.jpg

Just be careful with the Death Company Power Fist as it can block the ornate wings on the Jump Pack even with a plain shoulder pad.

Encarmine swords are strength user, which is only 4 for sanguard, not s5. You would need to bring along a sanguinary priest in order to bump them up to s5

Red Thirst gives you +1 to wound, which amounts to the same (at least when you charge, or are charged)

But by all means, bring a Priest.

Red Thirst gives you +1 to wound, which amounts to the same (at least when you charge, or are charged)

But by all means, bring a Priest.

Not quite the same. It would be like S6 against T3 and T6, like S7 against T7 and finally like always one S lower than the targets T against T8+ since you'll never wound on 6s.

Ultimately, getting +1 to wound ends up being the equivalent of +1-3 strength depending on what the strengh vs toughness actually is for our purposes. Could theoretically be higher, but there’s nothing with a strength lower than 4 in our codex. Notable exceptions being trying to attack titans. (Warlord titans have T16 making the humble chainsword roll to wound like a lascannon!

Archived