Where the Angel in Dark Angels comes from

Indefragable

Hi all,

I'm more a frequent flyer to the Rock than a resident, but they are one of the Chapters I have liked since waaaaaay back. I played a 80/20 Greenwing/Deathwing Lion's Blade back in 7th for some time as well before I had to consolidate my time/effort/hobby.

As such, I've kept up with the lore as best I can, including the full DA arc in the Black Library HH series (I think), but I have not found an explanation for the following:

Why are the Dark Angels called Dark Angels?

I know there's not a straightforward answer, like most things in 40k. Especially since it probably started as a cool sounding name back in the late '80s and the rest developed from there. That being said, a couple points to flesh out my question:

-Space Marines/Adeptus Astartes are frequently referred to as Angels of Death or Angels of _____ both in and out of universe, so the I Legion are just the "Dark ones", I suppose?  Would fit their reclusive, autonomous, secretive, and....well....dark nature.

-The "other" angels: Blood Angels, in contrast, kind of "own" the whole "angel" thing given their Primarch being a rather literal angel with the enshrined cognomen of "The Angel," their predilection for winged/aerial combat, and the meta factor of the whole angels/demons duality thing. This is not to say DA should not be angels as well, but the BA seem to take the motif far more to heart/internalize it more

-Other chapters: outside of successors and successors-of-successors and such, are there any other chapters that have an angel motif?

-Space Wolves: AFAIK, this is the only other (Founding) Chapter where part of the Chapter name really informs things. You have people in setting referring to "____ Wolf" or such just like with "____ Angel" for DA/BA. We don't really have instances (AFAIK) of "____ Children," or "____ Eaters," or "_____ Bearers," or "Raven ____" etc... There are colloquial references to "scars" or "ultras" or "alphas", but I don't know if that really is the case in-setting

-Luna Wolves: the pre-Sons of Horus/Black Legion has different Wolf motifs at times in the Black Library series, but they are fairly isolated and more to make a single point then a theme

Is there something I am missing?

To me, it would seem to make more sense if the "Dark Angels" were actually called "Dark Knights" or "Dark Monks" (silly, I know) or something based on the motifs frequently found throughout their lore. "Dark Arrows" to emphasize the psuedo-Native American themes of yesteryear? "Dark Wing" is a bit too cartoony and further blurs things with the XIX Legion. Or even "Dark Lions" due to their Primarch, but that one sounds a bit weird and could lead to "Space Wolf" syndrome where every boltshell is carved into a lion's head or some such overkill. On that note, it's actually somewhat refreshing that there is such variety to the different themes within the DA when compared to their Legion's name.

Not a complaint or gripe by any means, just something I am genuinely curious about.

They were the first Legion. For a while, whenever someone refered to Angels of Death, they were specifically talking about the Ist / Dark Angels.

I guess the name Dark Angels could have been inherited there.

I think this is it, or at least a good chunk of the in-universe reason. They were the only legion around and coloured the early perception of astartes, who became known as the Angels of Death. Other legions showed up and also picked up the term as a loose descriptor but it hung around the 1st legion with more force. There's then a separate Calibanite tradition where Luther described them as "great and terrible dark angels", drawing on Calibanite myth, which held angels to be eerie and shadowy figures, which I think used to be the source of the name.

Out of universe I strongly suspect the name came first simply as something cool and then the poem by Lionel Johnson supplied the primarch's name as a reference or easter egg.

In terms of theme, I think angels are broad enough to work for both the DA and the BA, particularly as a set of images that apply fairly well to all space marines. The DA seem to fit the colder, more esoteric and less human image of angels, as almost alien creatures that blindly serve a higher power. Shades of mysteries, occultism, unconventional religion; robes, swords, veiled meanings, the tarot.

BA then match the more obviously pure and conventionally angelic image; the curls and beauty of a renaissance sculpture, Michael the angel as a spiritual warrior, Catholic ideas of the sacred blood and an aestheticised self-sacrifice.

They were the first Legion. For a while, whenever someone refered to Angels of Death, they were specifically talking about the Ist / Dark Angels.

Probably the neatest explanation. Little boring, but often the "truth" is more boring than our imaginations :)

I think this is it, or at least a good chunk of the in-universe reason. They were the only legion around and coloured the early perception of astartes, who became known as the Angels of Death. Other legions showed up and also picked up the term as a loose descriptor but it hung around the 1st legion with more force. There's then a separate Calibanite tradition where Luther described them as "great and terrible dark angels", drawing on Calibanite myth, which held angels to be eerie and shadowy figures, which I think used to be the source of the name.

Out of universe I strongly suspect the name came first simply as something cool and then the poem by Lionel Johnson supplied the primarch's name as a reference or easter egg.

In terms of theme, I think angels are broad enough to work for both the DA and the BA, particularly as a set of images that apply fairly well to all space marines. The DA seem to fit the colder, more esoteric and less human image of angels, as almost alien creatures that blindly serve a higher power. Shades of mysteries, occultism, unconventional religion; robes, swords, veiled meanings, the tarot.

BA then match the more obviously pure and conventionally angelic image; the curls and beauty of a renaissance sculpture, Michael the angel as a spiritual warrior, Catholic ideas of the sacred blood and an aestheticised self-sacrifice.

Ah ha now we're cooking. I forgot about that Calibanite myth...any places it's specifically mentioned off the top of your head?

As for the more esoteric take on "angel"--without being someone well versed in such matters--it would seem that angel in this case could be replaced with "spirit" or such...more a mysterious force beyond human understanding....much like the Watchers in the Dark. I know many cultures have different concepts/forms of this, from the Muslim "jinn," to the Jewish "golem" and such. That makes sense. Especially since the more I think about it, the harder it is to come up with a simple term other than "angel" that captures all of that.

I’d have to find the actual line, but there was once something that said about “They came down on pinions of flame, the great and terrible angels of darkness” something like that from when the 1st Legion actually showed up on Caliban.

(Found it):

The 1st Legion was thereafter termed the Dark Angels, in reference to a Caliban legend that told of great, righteous heroes who held back monsters. Announced by the Primarch, the connotation was in fact first drawn by Luther, who quoted a section from the legend upon first seeing Astartes descending using jump packs: "And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Descent of Angels, Mitchel Scanlon.

Pretty sure I saw that in an old Codex first, but I don’t have them with me and would have to reference later.

As far as other Chapters with an “angel” motif: not sure on the motif part, but naming-wise, you have the following official GW Chapters with “Angel “ names:

Angel Guard

Angels Eradicant

Angels of Damnation

Angels of Fire

Angels of Fury

Angels of Iron

Angels of Penance

Angels of Repentance

Angels of Retribution

Angels of Vigilance (although rumors this one might be a DA Successor)

Angels Penitent

Angels Porphyr

Angels Redeemed

Angels Resplendent

Fire Angels

A lot of the Dark Angels' background seems to be derived from talmudic lore/kabbalah. I mean, most of the main characters names are from talmudic archangels -- Azrael, Sammael, Belial, etc. While not specifically evil all of them are frequently portrayed in a negative light, with Azrael being the Steward of the souls of the dead, Sammael being the accuser and temptor, things like that. So...angels of darkness.

Yeah. I guess that one point probably had something to do with it too. I'm guessing that it started with that and later GW decided to go off on a wildly different tangent.

(Found it):

The 1st Legion was thereafter termed the Dark Angels, in reference to a Caliban legend that told of great, righteous heroes who held back monsters. Announced by the Primarch, the connotation was in fact first drawn by Luther, who quoted a section from the legend upon first seeing Astartes descending using jump packs: "And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Descent of Angels, Mitchel Scanlon.

Pretty sure I saw that in an old Codex first, but I don’t have them with me and would have to reference later.

As far as the lore is concerned this is the given reason.

I first got into 40k around the release of 2nd ed so I never owned Rogue Trader I’d be interested to know if there are any references to the Dark Angels in there.

My theory is that there were origionally 4 angel legions and 4 Angel primarchs.

Sanguinus the golden angel

Angron the red angel

Lion el Johnson the black angel

An then one of the list is the 4th.

They were meant to be a force that would work as one. Angron was the hammer, sanguinus was the reserve, lion was special teams and maybe the 4th was a defensive Legion. And the idea was that as long as the 4 worked in harmony none could stand before them. Much like how gullieman had the dauntless few (and suprise suprise two angels are amongst them).

Then after the fall of one of the Angels lion el Johnson stopped calling himself the black angel. And ordered his children to do the same. Sanguinus and angron kept their titles as they valued such trinkets and accolades more and felt it was pointless trying to hold togeather a system with missing pieces that could never be brought back togeather.

This makes some level of sense. It also explains why sanguinus knows about the absent primarchs he likely knows quite a bit about the 4 Angels much to the chagrin of the dark Angels legion as a whole.

In fact if I'm allowed to steal this thread a little this would then have mirrors in the story of God (emperor) and his 4 arch Angels in the bible. Angron the red angel while lucifer is a more befitting title to Horus angron sided with evil, he gave himself over to a God of war, fire, and blood and his realm is functionally biblical hell as depicted in many ancient reliefes frescos and the like. And as depicted in the short story prince of blood angron is actually pretty sad on the inside, he wants his daddy, he laments and cries that he's cast out of the imperium. In addition as a demon prince angron if he could find the will could take any form he chose but chooses to appear to us as a bloodthirster monster. Demon princes can after all decieve everyone with whatever form they choose. And in some way the art of slaughtering everything in sight is still art

Sanguinus is a one to one of Micheal. A great leader, a white winged golden angel. He is even depicted fighting a giant serpent at the back of the 8th edition hardcore core rules wielding a flaming sword wrapped in a robe much like how he is depicted kicking Adam and Eve out of the garden.

While Raphael and lion el Johnson may not share true links Raphael was a planner and an architect and this is something they do share. Lion el johnsons homeworld of caliban after he tames it became an architectural wonder with fortress cities and bronze gate and massive stadiums with 10000 banner that could seat hundreds of cheering brothers. Lion could build and he was a skilled learner. A trait he shares with his sons; to quote azreal in the audio drama trials of azreal "every day I study to prepare myself for the battles to come". Lion was a master strategist and this was one of the reasons that Horus respected him so much. He skills as a tactician were unparalleled.

This then leaves us with the final angel who would represent Gabriel. While we know zero about him I would like to a point to a passage in which njal stormcaller has a vision of the returning primarchs. He points to 4 characters, lion, khan, rowboat girlyman and a "darkened messenger". For a while people assumed this was cypher or Corvus corax dark armored fast moving people who worked in secret. But darkened implied he wasn't always dark. I propose this is the Gabriel figure and our fourth angel, one of the lost l

RTBRB 1987:

P.133 "The Legiones Astartes is always known as the Space Marine..."Amongst men and aliens alike they are popularly called Angels of Death."

P.153 Comments about all Space Marines that "Their reputation for savage ferocity and complete lack of mercy has earned them the nickname Angels of Death."

P168 Shows the Dark Angels as a named Chapter of the Space Marines but not a lot more.

Back then the story was simple and they were named with the rule of cool and a variety to cover various historical themes was the limit of the lore.

Codex:Angels of Death 1996 just continues to use their names, so no real clarity there either.

As Brian mentions the HH novels specifically Decent of Angels fleshes it out a bit. I love that DoA reinforces the RTBRB comment, regular planet bound folks would freak at warriors descending from the sky too.

Because the poem by Lionel Johnson was called "The Dark Angel".

gallery_58096_11725_22779.jpg

Doh! Of course.

I think the name probably came first and later when they wanted to flesh out the legions they were all sat around in the pub and someone said ‘hey what about calling him lion el Johnson..You know after Lionel Johnson who wrote the famous poem The Dark Angel’. Then they all congratulated him for being such a whit and probably drank some more beer.

I imagine a similar scene when they named the guy who split the legion Luther.

I think the name probably came first and later when they wanted to flesh out the legions they were all sat around in the pub and someone said ‘hey what about calling him lion el Johnson..You know after Lionel Johnson who wrote the famous poem The Dark Angel’. Then they all congratulated him for being such a whit and probably drank some more beer.

Right. I mean, I know we're not exactly analyzing Shakespeare here, but I do like delving into the themes that have been associated with different things, even retro-actively.

Because the poem by Lionel Johnson was called "The Dark Angel".

gallery_58096_11725_22779.jpg

Doh! Of course.

The name is actually "Lionel" in an old White Dwarf I have from the RT days... The change to Lion El came later when they revised a lot of their copyright infringing stories... Sometime around 2nd edition when they decided the background needed some continuity and they couldn't just rip off any story and incorporate it...

Why are the Dark Angels called Dark Angels?

That being said, a couple points to flesh out my question:

-Space Marines/Adeptus Astartes are frequently referred to as Angels of Death or Angels of _____ both in and out of universe, so the I Legion are just the "Dark ones", I suppose? Would fit their reclusive, autonomous, secretive, and....well....dark nature.

It goes without saying that there are a lot of factors that go into why certain factions have the names they have. Some of them are influences from the real world; some of them are part of the in-universe mythology. As you might expect, a lot of both (but mostly the latter) has changed over the years as the setting and its background material have been refined.

As others mentioned, the principal reason for the names of both the Dark Angels Chapter (and, as the mythos expanded, its founding Legion) and the Primarch Lion El’Jonson is the real-life poet Lionel Johnson (15 March 1867 – 4 October 1902) and the work he’s best known for: “Dark Angel” (published in 1893), a poem about one’s struggle with internal darkness. Johnson’s name was briefly reworked to what seemed to be a Welsh transliteration before being changed to the current iteration. An utterly contrived attempt to explain the name is presented in Descent of Angels:

“In light of the details of his discovery, the wild man came to be called Lion El’Jonson, meaning ‘The Lion, the Son of the Forest’ in the old tongue of Caliban.”

Excerpt From

Descent of Angels Enhanced Edition

Mitchel Scanlon

This material may be protected by copyright.

That same novel also gives us insight regarding the origin of the title “Dark Angels”:

Then amid the noise and confusion, he saw shapes resolving from the howling winds and noise.

Dark shapes, armoured and descending on wings of fire.

Beside him, Luther shielded his eyes and said, ‘And the Angels of Darkness descended on pinions of fire and light… the great and terrible dark angels.

Zahariel recognised the words, having heard the fables of ancient times when the heroic dark angels, mysterious avengers of righteousness had first fought the beasts of Caliban in the earliest ages of the world.

’We are the First Legion,’ said the Lion, ‘the honoured, the Sons of the Lion, and we will not be marching to war without a name that strikes terror into the hearts of our enemies. As our legends spoke of the great heroes who held back the monsters of our distant past, so too shall we hold back the enemies of the Imperium as we set off into the great void to fight in the name of the Emperor.

‘We shall be the Dark Angels!’

Not a lot of information is given as to who those original Dark Angels were, but it’s fair to surmise they were powerful warriors, if ultimately mortal, and possibly in possession of technology that was mythologized over the millennia that followed.

Fast-forward about thirty-two entries, to Angels of Caliban, and you get some insight as to what the First Legion was called prior to their arrival on Caliban:

‘The First existed before the alliance with Mars,’ said Astelan. ‘Before even you were born, when they were not even the First, but simply the Six Hosts.’

‘We have always been mutable, my friend. The Dark Angels, the First, the Six Hosts of the Angels of Death. Different names for the same thing. ... Forget the primarchs. We did not know they existed. Perhaps the Emperor thought them lost forever. We were not even the First Legion yet.’

‘That, I don’t understand,’ confessed the Chapter Master. ‘Surely you were always the First?’

‘Why would we be the First unless to distinguish us from the Second? We were not even a Legion at the outset. Six Hosts, ... He did not even call us Space Marines, not at first. When He addressed us, when He spoke of us to His last few enemies, He simply called us His Angels of Death.’

Excerpt From

Angels of Caliban

Gav Thorpe

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/angels-of-caliban/id1122414375?mt=11

This material may be protected by copyright.

I hope that clarifies the naming conventions of the Lion and the Dark Angels!

To me, it would seem to make more sense if the "Dark Angels" were actually called "Dark Knights" or "Dark Monks" (silly, I know) or something based on the motifs frequently found throughout their lore. "Dark Arrows" to emphasize the psuedo-Native American themes of yesteryear? "Dark Wing" is a bit too cartoony and further blurs things with the XIX Legion. Or even "Dark Lions" due to their Primarch, but that one sounds a bit weird and could lead to "Space Wolf" syndrome where every boltshell is carved into a lion's head or some such overkill. On that note, it's actually somewhat refreshing that there is such variety to the different themes within the DA when compared to their Legion's name.

Yeah, it’s fair to say the Blood Angels have a far more overt link to mainstream angelic motiffs. The Dark Angels’ ties, by contrast... are more complicated — a stretch, even. Thematically, they are akin to what the Knights Templar were accused of being. Their most prominent tie to angelic themes is their naming convention, which often (but not always) draws on Judeo-Christian angelic mythos (Asmodai, Azrael, Belial, Gabriel, and so on).

That last bit, I think, could be explored more in the future by authors and developers. It’s easy to imagine that the Calibanite legends of the “dark angels” were shaped at least to some extent by religious mythos (possibly the “Catheric” religion referenced by Dan Abnett in his short story “Blood Games”) imported to that world by the original settlers. Faced by an inimical, supernatural evil, the heroes who set out to face the Great Beasts took on the names of angels of war, wrath, and revenge. Those traditions endured and informed Calibanite culture until the arrival of the First Legion.

Archived