Leviathan Dread Stratagies

Morticon

Hi guys. 

The FW leviathan, pricey as it is, is (imho) one of the most awesome models and units available to us.  Looks like a real work horse.  T8, 2+,4++ is just amazing.   

Sadly, doesnt use any of the BA abilities unless you're going fighty (which i think is a waste), but the shooty is incredible  

The Grav Flux cannon in Ork meta is legit.  The only real drawback is the range. 

How would you use him? (And would you consider two in a list?) 

It may be too shooty for BA liking, but at 2k to support the Leviathan, I would look to something like:

BA BATT: 

Smash Cap

Libby Dread

3x 5 Scouts  - (forward pressure/claiming).

8x VanVets - 5Shields, 4 PW

Quad Bolter Rapier

Quad Bolter Rapier

Leviathan (Grav/Storm)

SM BATT

Captain 

Techmarine

1x 5 Intercessors - (midfield claiming

1x 5 Tactical - ML  (backfield claiming)

1x 5 Sniper Scouts  (backfield claiming)

2x5 Devs - 2ML, 1HB, Cherub  (backfield support and Mortal Wound Shenanigans)

Leviathan (Grav/Storm)

Strategy ->  

Thinking is that the jumpers, wings dreads and scouts provide annoying front harassment, while the dreads march up laying waste to everything in there path - super simple. 

I was thinking more sniper scouts initially, but I think the forward moving scouts work better to keep the heat off the Levs. 

There's some decent backfield support in the Devs and the Quads too, which make for tough threat assessment. 

You could also drop a Dev or a Quad for a Lucius Pod - meaning he gets to come down nice and close, negating the range issue.  

At 1750, id rework is a little to have a BATT + Heavy Detach . 

But what about you guys? How do you use him? How would you use him? What you looking to? 

When I eventually get one, provided I don't end up using him with my DA, Im gonna drop him in a via a Lucius pod with either a claw and melta lance or claw and grav bombard. I've gotta check which of the two tanged weapons work best from a math hammer perspective, crunch wise grav bombard seems better at versatility, being semi decent at horde clearing and AT, where as the lance is serious AT potential. From a coolness/aesthetically pleasing perspective, melta lance wins hands down. I'll probably magnetize both variants, as well as double claws for :cuss s and giggles.

I think that dual SCA is probably the best bet. Consistent number of shots, decent strength, flat 2 damage and slightly better range. GFB looks cool on paper but only wins out over the SCA against the toughest targets or largest hordes.

If you are including it as part of a firebase, a cheap buff Lt is handy to boost wounding. In any situation, "Wisdom of the Ancients" is a great option for 1CP to reroll your 1s and even better if other neraby units can also benefit from it.

With all those points tied up in one model with a 2+/4++ save, a Techmarine to keep him in the action a little longer is a tempting option.

But for me the real question about the Leviathan is "What else could I get for the points?". In a similar firepower role, you could get a pair of Armiger Helverins for the points. They are faster and have far longer range as well as 3 Damage on their guns. They are not quite as durable individually but 2 of them have a lot more wounds, even if they are only protected by a 3+/5++ save. With the price drop in CA, the dakka Repulsor also provides similar firepower whilst having the advantage of FLY and a transport capacity (if you have any Primaris infantry to take advantage of it).

The Leviathan is close to being an awesome unit but its range and movement are significant hindrances. The important thing to remember is to run other armoured targets. Even with T8 and a 2+/4++ save, the Leviathan will not last long if it is the target of every anti-tank gun in your opponent's army.

The Leviathan is close to being an awesome unit but its range and movement are significant hindrances. The important thing to remember is to run other armoured targets. Even with T8 and a 2+/4++ save, the Leviathan will not last long if it is the target of every anti-tank gun in your opponent's army.

Really have to underline this point! The Levis problem is that we live in a Knight meta and if your opponent can kill a Knight he will also be able to drop your Dread.

As for tactics: I would also recommend the double SCA. It´s biggest problem is S7, so you could maybe take a Lamenters detachment and pair it with Malakim Phoros, so you get those sweet rerolls to wound?

It may be too shooty for BA liking, but at 2k to support the Leviathan, I would look to something like:

BA BATT: 

Smash Cap

Libby Dread

3x 5 Scouts  - (forward pressure/claiming).

8x VanVets - 5Shields, 4 PW

Quad Bolter Rapier

Quad Bolter Rapier

Leviathan (Grav/Storm)

SM BATT

Captain 

Techmarine

1x 5 Intercessors - (midfield claiming

1x 5 Tactical - ML  (backfield claiming)

1x 5 Sniper Scouts  (backfield claiming)

2x5 Devs - 2ML, 1HB, Cherub  (backfield support and Mortal Wound Shenanigans)

Leviathan (Grav/Storm)

Strategy ->  

Thinking is that the jumpers, wings dreads and scouts provide annoying front harassment, while the dreads march up laying waste to everything in there path - super simple. 

I was thinking more sniper scouts initially, but I think the forward moving scouts work better to keep the heat off the Levs. 

There's some decent backfield support in the Devs and the Quads too, which make for tough threat assessment. 

You could also drop a Dev or a Quad for a Lucius Pod - meaning he gets to come down nice and close, negating the range issue.  

At 1750, id rework is a little to have a BATT + Heavy Detach . 

But what about you guys? How do you use him? How would you use him? What you looking to? 

Why the SM Detachment?

With anything, the power of 2 is probably the better strategy.

Personally I plan on having a dakka levi and a siege drill levi (suitably magnetized, of course). They can run near each other and the dakka version could provide the supporting fire to allow me to advance the melee one. Lots of points but then so are most things that are super nice.

I have fought Leviathans many many many many many many many many times, for better and worse.

Stormcannon is unreal. It is an incredibly efficient weapon. "Free" underslung melta + heavy nipple flamers are icing on the cake.

As others have said, it's basically a Knight-lite. But it can get Red Thirst and our strategems, which can add a bit more usefulness.

Two uses for it: hold the line and shoot OR go all-in on Distraction Carnifex and charge it into the enemy.

The question is whether you want other units to draw fire from the Levi or if you want the Levi to draw fire from other units.

Ork heavy meta: dual gravs are amazing.

In my experience theyre great as distracrion carnifex, but i've had success with them just strolling forward with my trusty jump packers in the fray.

I've also used em in a dread only list, in which they just perform so well. They draw the fire away from your other dreads so they can do theor thing.

All in all, i enjoy em in pairs, as expensive as they are haha.

Just some feedback,

Levvy dreads work great against Russ-heavy IG.  The fact that theyre not only hitting on 4's, but wounding on 4s and then you're saving on 4s means you reduce the amount of incoming firepower monstrously.  These guys are pure gold.  Range is, however, ALWAYS going to be an issue.  Playing "hammer and anvil" short board edges is a nightmare for sloggy dreads. 

(Then again, if we've allied them in as Ravenguard.....its even better!!) 

Archived