Punisher or Demolisher?

major higgins

Hi comrades,

I know that have complete different roles, but I see both as Intantry Tank, tanks who have to support advancing infantry such as the old KV1, or Churchill ecc. One is an infantry killer, the other one could help in removing dangerous units such as Contemptors, Hellbrutes or Terminators.

But all in all I can't cope which is better for my hundred Valhallan. I've just got a Punisher, but can't take decision if double it, or go for a Demolisher which is now exactly the same points with 3 HBs.

What do you think?

With the magic of magnets you can have both of course (and easily), but on the table top I think it's a case of what you need to handle. They are distinct in how hard they hit, so this will dictate which is best. The Demolisher is not so much of an all rounder without templates but compared to the battlecannon you're trading range for potential. Since you've already got a Punisher two would be great for horde control, but that's not something Guard really struggle with so I'd try out the Demolisher :tu:

The punisher is good against troops, and has enough shots that you'll likely take wounds off of super-heavy units. This makes the punisher solid for most situations. The demolisher is good for elite infantry and vehicles. S10 weapons means that it will wound everything on 3s. It's downside is it's range (24") and number of shots. Against a unit of 5 or more it gets D6 shots, but if the unit is small like typical custodies units or individual vehicles you get D3 shots. The two tanks complement each other quite well. It's not an invalid idea to move them up together so the punisher can kill the screen and the demolisher can kill something valuable. I would take one of each and take an executioner and/or battle cannon around to hit targets from distance.

I prefer the Demolisher (though I prefer the Plasma turret or classic battlecannon to both) as our army is already bubbling over with things that can kill the optimal punisher targets while it can be somewhat lacking against hard targets.

The Punisher is great but has too much overlap with my infantry squads. 

Thank you, both will be with my advancing infantry, I've got two standard LRBT and two command LRBT that back up them from the rear...

Today a tested one and one... Demolisher annihilated a maulerfied turn 1, than did nothing till its destruction in turn 4.
Punisher strip 7 wounds from a Vindicator thanks to "For Cadia" stratagem...

Probably I'll try to have bot weapon ready and chose the best at the moment...

Archived