Beta Bolter rule vs Guard

Wassa

Today I played against Iron Warriors with 10 chosen, 5 Combirequiem and a HB. This squad, in cover, chewed 40 guardsmen before being killed to its last man. Practically it helds a flank from itself against my infantry. Two ten men squad which hold their ground killed a lot of guardsmen thanks to this new rules. So all in all not a match winning rules but a good buf for Power Armor...

I think that the new bolter rule is really more situational. Terminators are not going to be used to take advantage of the bolter rule. They move too slow and have a target painted on them. Standing still is typically not an option for normal space marines. They need to be moving on objectives. FRFSRF can level the playing field against that. At 24" the guard can expect to kill 2 marines and the Marines can expect to kill 4 Guardsmen. A guardsman with no upgrades costs 4 points a marine costs 13 points without upgrades. In this exchange, guard take 26 points off the table and marines take 16 points off the table.

Bikes and vehicles are a different story. Rapid fire bolters on a bike make it a real threat due to mobility and shot output. Vehicles with storm bolters can push Guard back.

Utilizing bolter discipline will help the vehicles make a breach, so it's awesome. Tactical Marines, however, shouldn't worry too much about using it unless they're trying to hold an objective.

It'll be fun when all the Marine players realise Guardsman are really quite easy to kill after all...

"Wait a minute, anti-infantry weapons are good against Infantry? I must tell the internet!"

Good change, hope it stays #MakeBoltersGreatAgain

Just spat my tea out, thanks!

It'll be fun when all the Marine players realise Guardsman are really quite easy to kill after all...

"Wait a minute, anti-infantry weapons are good against Infantry? I must tell the internet!"

I hope it stays for marines but it's a problem with deathwatch. They can pretty much kill their points in guard every turn at 24" while having a 3+/3++.

Just spat my tea out, thanks!

Report to the commissariat for wasting the Emperor's tea supplies, soldier!

Having had some experience of the beta rule I'm not concerned for my Guard particularly. Some armies can do more, but the CA changes were more of an impact.

Archived