SW for Mechanized Infantry Squads: Plasma vs GL?

Rommel44

Pretty simple question for you guys. Currently debating on which Special Weapon to run with my standard Infantry Squads, who will all be Mounted in Chimera Transports. Debating between the Plasma Gun and the Grenade Launcher atm, and while I am leaning towards the Plasma, the GL it seems has been a popular choice as well. Considering the fact that they will be Mounted in Chimeras, do you think the Plasma or the Grenade Launcher would be the more effective choice

While plasma isn't a bad choice, grenade launchers tend to have more useful situations. The grenade launcher is an assault weapon with a 24" range and 2 different weapon profiles. Frag D6 shots S3 AP0 1 damage, Krak 1 shot S6 AP-1 D3 damage. This allows for good anti-troop and decent anti-light vehicle options.

Plasma is great for taking down vehicles. That's why I tend to put plasma on my veterans. My veterans have 2 plasma guns and 1 meltagun. Their 3+ BS makes them a natural choice for your high point cost weapons.

I suggest that you bring grenade launchers for your infantry squads and plasma for your vets.

How many are you planning to build? I would say plasma personally. Only 15 points difference between them. What would fit with the rest of your army? Maybe try playtesting both?

How'd you get 15 points? Grenade launchers are 3 points and BS 4+ plasma is 7 points. That's a difference of 4 points.

I like grenade launchers, and they've even been made cheaper - nice versatility and the krak grenade often makes a difference. Plasma needs no introduction of course, so it depends on what you need to work with your list. As you're spending points on Chimeras to ferry them about they're likely to be close to the enemy, so perhaps the cheaper and less imposing grenade launcher would be best?

How many are you planning to build? I would say plasma personally. Only 15 points difference between them. What would fit with the rest of your army? Maybe try playtesting both?

How'd you get 15 points? Grenade launchers are 3 points and BS 4+ plasma is 7 points. That's a difference of 4 points.
I was going by a SWS with 3 weapons. I thought GL were 2 points so got it wrong. It would be 12 points difference for the squad based on 3 of each bought. Though just realised I misread the question.. oops! He is after for base infantry squads.

To answer the correct question: I would go with grenade launchers. They are cheap and useful

I dunno... seems like itd depend on a few factors. Which regiment youre running for instance. SL would favour plasma (18" rf), for instance. Plus, what does the rest of the army look like?

Tallarn to make use of the Doctrine for my Chimeras Hvy. Weapons atm. And the Army already has a ton of S5 shooting with me running 4-6 Infantry Squads in Chimeras w/Dual Hvy. Bolter and a Hvy. Stubber.

I almost always err on the side of plasma unless I for some reason can't, in which case I go either launcher or flamer depending on how close I expect the squad to guess. Usually the plasma gun draws more small fire to the unit, which can be good or bad depending on what their role is.

Archived