Melee Manipulus of Doom

brother_b

Hello all,

I've been considering converting one of my spare TPD figures to be a more close combat orineted build, you know, just for fun. I've always considered adding the pseudogenitor relic giving the D6 str 4 ap -1 damage 1 attacks.

Now with the release of the manipulus I think I've found my true candidate. I'll probably still convert the TPD to be my manipulus, but that's probably a ways out.

Anyways, think about it:

outfit with the "flamer weapon" option.

He comes with D6 mechadendrite attacks, plus his regular attacks with his staff. Now add the pseudogenitor relic, givng him another d6 attacks.

That's 2d6 attacks, plus regular attacks.

Consider warlord traits he could choose: hermeticon, Stygies VIII for the +1 to wound, Ryza for the +1 damage, etc. Wow. 

Then he's got the buff to advance/charge and you've got a fairly strong unit to accompany your priests/infiltrators/bots/ruststalkers/breachers.

I'm going to try it for sure!

It does sound fun, and a melee loadout sounds useful anyway if that guy is used to buff assaulters. Though I'd probably just give him a relic, not WL trait, as the latter can be used to buff a lot more units in some cases (Mars the most obvious).

But the ryza WL trait sounds fun, when combined with the transonic flamer - d6 auto hits with S5 -1 D3 will discourage elite/characters from charging, as long as they charge from less than 8".

For one glorious moment , I had it " manipulus 2d6 attacks and warlord trait for roll all misses in fight phase  drops in with my hoplites auto deploying from the terrax ... extending range of either charges or shooting as appropriate .. for the unit .... 

Until

1. Hoplites don't benefit from the buff aura as they aren't  < Forge World> , lame, well I could use infiltrators maybe even rustalkers 
2. Manipulus must activate their effect / aura at the start of the movement phase , deepstrikes done come in until the end

Well that sinks that idea ...   hoplites would be a pefrect target for this unit , that or footsloggin electro priests ...  Denied " AGAIN"

For one glorious moment , I had it " manipulus 2d6 attacks and warlord trait for roll all misses in fight phase  drops in with my hoplites auto deploying from the terrax ... extending range of either charges or shooting as appropriate .. for the unit .... 

Until

1. Hoplites don't benefit from the buff aura as they aren't  < Forge World> , lame, well I could use infiltrators maybe even rustalkers 

2. Manipulus must activate their effect / aura at the start of the movement phase , deepstrikes done come in until the end

Well that sinks that idea ...   hoplites would be a pefrect target for this unit , that or footsloggin electro priests ...  Denied " AGAIN"

How about 10 ElectroPriests in a Terrax drill with the Manipulus?

Good input. I usually play Stygies, I was drawn to the lore more than the rules, although the -1 shooting has been helpful. Doesn't help if I'm trying to get close though! I've thought of doing Lucius during my next game to try out the army.

We'll see.

For one glorious moment , I had it " manipulus 2d6 attacks and warlord trait for roll all misses in fight phase drops in with my hoplites auto deploying from the terrax ... extending range of either charges or shooting as appropriate .. for the unit ....

Until

1. Hoplites don't benefit from the buff aura as they aren't < Forge World> , lame, well I could use infiltrators maybe even rustalkers

Well that sinks that idea ... hoplites would be a pefrect target for this unit , that or footsloggin electro priests ... Denied " AGAIN"

How about 10 ElectroPriests in a Terrax drill with the Manipulus?

Im planning on trying this with the Manipulus running alongside 2 drills. That way both priests and drills get plus to move and charges

Im planning on trying this with the Manipulus running alongside 2 drills. That way both priests and drills get plus to move and charges

Does sound good as then drills get the move buff and he can fix when needed (ive been putting my enginseers inside drills so they can jump out and fix too).

However im not sure just using a dominus in the same role wouldn't be better. He'd be giving the terrax (and potentially anything inside them that disembarks) reroll 1s on their shooting, and has an extra wound (and possibly and extra power axe attack?). The D6 S4 attacks the maniplus gets from its native mecadendrites aren't that great...the dominus can still take the relic mechadendrites....and the dominus is arguably better kitted out for close range shooting (and is BS2 with reroll 1s for that shooting).

Pretty moot argument until we see the final points cost for the manipulus though I guess.

Note - If a unit was in the drill and disembarks....does that count as being within the manipulus bubble 'at the start of the movement phase'. Im guessing not, but its confusing as after doing the 3" disembark, the unit can then move again normally...but disembark rules dont say 'at the start of the phase', they say 'before the vehicle moves'

Note - If a unit was in the drill and disembarks....does that count as being within the manipulus bubble 'at the start of the movement phase'. Im guessing not, but its confusing as after doing the 3" disembark, the unit can then move again normally...but disembark rules dont say 'at the start of the phase', they say 'before the vehicle moves'

I believe so as the Manipulus rules say that units gain the benefit when they move and the disembark rules say that afyer disembarking a unit can move shoot assault as normal. So as long as at the time of moving their within the 6" bubble your sweet. This means that flr a stygies unit coming out of a terrax they can go 20" + 2d6 on turn 1. The terrax itself will go 19" + 2d6

As for the point on the dominus it depends whats inside the terrax. If you have jazzhands or something where the additional movement dkesnt matter then yes. If its fulgurites though youd want the Manipulus to make CC charges easier

Archived