Best Uses for Creed?

Wassa

How do you guys play with Creed in your  battles?

I guess the easy way is to have him upfront with your troops dishing out 4/5 orders with Kell next to him.

Personally I tend to have him at the back, giving Take Aim orders to 3 deep strike prevention squads with a Las/Autocannon and Plasma if it's in range, and using the additional orders from Superior Tactical Training to put on the mortar Heavy Weapon Squads behind him. This keeps him out of harms way from being killed for the Slay the Warlord victory point, while still making him productive.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bum that you can't take the Laurels of Command relic on him though.

My favourite trick at 500pts is combining LoC with STT and having crazily buffed infantry.

LoC is nice but Hammer of Sunderence is just next level when combined with overlapping fields of fire and old grudges. You can put some pretty tasty damage on nearly anything (had a few 'what the [frak]?' responses from people with knights). I think it's going to be even better when my Guard becomes Brood brothers and can happily 'Agents of Vect' their 'Rotate Ion Shields'.

Within a Cadian list Creed lets us keep most of the benefits of LoC while saving valuable command points that can be used to use Overlapping Fields of Fire every turn (not taking the Hammer is a silly idea!).

LoC is nice but Hammer of Sunderence is just next level when combined with overlapping fields of fire and old grudges. You can put some pretty tasty damage on nearly anything (had a few 'what the [frak]?' responses from people with knights). I think it's going to be even better when my Guard becomes Brood brothers and can happily 'Agents of Vect' their 'Rotate Ion Shields'.

Within a Cadian list Creed lets us keep most of the benefits of LoC while saving valuable command points (not taking the Hammer is a silly idea!).

I take the Hammer of Sunderance as well in a Supreme Command Detachment with 3 Catachan Tank Commanders. I pay the -1cp for access to the Commander's Armory for LoC. Not like I'm stretched for command points and if taking Creed the bonus +2cp he brings pays for both.

To be clear I think the best use for Creed if you want to make the most of your Guard is to leave him on the shelf as Old Grudges is so good against superheavy units (something Guard somewhat suffer against) that it's hard to justify not bringing an Old Grudges commander/Primaris Psyker to sit with your arty/tank block - Superior Tactical Training is the weakest bit of the Creed package and nothing else he does comes close to increasing the damage my battlecannons do to a Castellan by 50% (Old Grudges is love, old grudges is life). Your killers in the Guard are your vehicles so 6 orders should normally be enough.

Only time I think he's actually the best choice is if you've got 3 mortar squads that you want to have 'Take Aim' each turn which is a job he does better than anything else while still leaving you 2/3 commanders to move up with your screen.

Mordian Glory does a great video on using Creed in case you haven't seen it, in which case I highly recommend his channel its amazing for us guard players!

Just got round to watching it, turns out I was doing his strategy all along :)

I like to play Creed like the fluff depicts him. I bubble wrap him, but he fights at the front. I take him and a lord commissar with the main body of troops. I try to maximize his orders. He can give his orders to the more forward squads I keep on the wings of my advance.

In this formation creed can order the squads most forward and use STT to give his bubble wrap mirroring orders. It's essentially a trap I like to play. If someone is trying to kill Creed, they must put their units in line of sight of my entire army. If the get into melee with Creeds forward bubble wrap, the lord commissar can heroically intervene. The vets will use this distraction to get a good position with their plasma and company commander in tow. The tanks are killing the heavy hitters the entire time and the tank by Creed is going to be a punisher. He can thin the numbers of any attack force that goes for Creed.

To be clear I think the best use for Creed if you want to make the most of your Guard is to leave him on the shelf as Old Grudges is so good against superheavy units (something Guard somewhat suffer against) that it's hard to justify not bringing an Old Grudges commander/Primaris Psyker to sit with your arty/tank block - Superior Tactical Training is the weakest bit of the Creed package and nothing else he does comes close to increasing the damage my battlecannons do to a Castellan by 50% (Old Grudges is love, old grudges is life). Your killers in the Guard are your vehicles so 6 orders should normally be enough.

Only time I think he's actually the best choice is if you've got 3 mortar squads that you want to have 'Take Aim' each turn which is a job he does better than anything else while still leaving you 2/3 commanders to move up with your screen.

Creed does not have to be Warlord. But you do lose the CP if not. I think the balance between take/not take is very much framed around balance of list. If infantry based I'd lean towards taking him. 

Old grudges is ok, but needs all your shooters close to the warlord and within 6” or whatever the limitation is.

Also against Chaos the Relic of Lost Cadia should be more than enough to smoke something.

Old grudges is ok, but needs all your shooters close to the warlord and within 6” or whatever the limitation is.

Also against Chaos the Relic of Lost Cadia should be more than enough to smoke something.

I normally try for a fairly central position with 1+ Russ and a Basilisk+Manticore outside of LoS - I've found old grudges can fairly reliably wipe out a key target turn 1 and that's worked out for me so far. Trading s warlord trait to at least partially declaw the enemy turn 1 for some extra (unreliable) orders seems a poor deal to me but then I play fairly tank heavy and keep facing Knights.

Archived