Blood angel contemptor/relic contemptor

happyslugger

Hi folks, just after some advice if possible.

I really like the new FW dreads and want to order the relic contemptor but I am struggling with load out.

In my death guard army I rock butcher cannons on everything, but I was wondering if dual close combat weapons were better on the BA dread so I can launch it up field?

Thoughts/advice welcome.

Cheers.

We are not short of good CC units. If you want a melee dread, I would be tempted to look at something like the Libby Dread. Although it lacks the Invulnerable save, it is much harder to target with shooting thanks to its Character status.

Personally I would be tempted to look at options that fill gaps in our range. I am tempted by the Relic Contemptor Mortis with quad autocannons. It provides good volume of fire for dealing with medium toughness units and those with an Invulnerable save. Dark Eldar vehicles, Necron Wraiths, Daemon Engines etc. Against units like these, the higher RoF, and flat damage of the Autocannons makes them more reliable damage-dealers than traditional anti-tank weapons like the Lascannon.

If you look at Knights, the Helverin is very popular for a reason. The Autocannons on a Mortis don't quite match up to the Helverin's, it has better stats with 2+WS/BS it doesn't require a LoW detachment, it can be buffed by BA characters and it can support a gunline nicely with "Wisdom of the Ancients" in case your Captain is busy elsewhere (hitting people with a Thunder Hammer usually :wink: ).

Archived