Assassin Changes - March White Dwarf leak

GuardDaddy

I was hoping for some sort of Special Rule that allows them to by pass the Battlebrothers Rule.

How do you mean? You can reserve 85pts and pay 1CP to take an assassin in your list pre game

Way I read it is that you don't even need an assassin detachment

Edit.

Apparently last line says only once per game but that's still 1 assassin without needing a detachment

I was hoping for some sort of Special Rule that allows them to by pass the Battlebrothers Rule.

How do you mean? You can reserve 85pts and pay 1CP to take an assassin in your list pre game

Edit.

Apparently last line says only once per game but that's still 1 assassin without needing a detachment

What's the difference though? It's still 1 cp you're losing, if its via the stratagem or including one as the -1 cp detachment. Or am I totally missing something? lol Does the stratagem let you summon the assassin?

Edit.

Yes i Know. And for Guard it isn't that big of a problem to spend 1 CP to do it, but for my Dark Angels it is. Every CP is worth to many for a Space Marine List to "waste" it on this Stratagem just to bypass bad Rule writing from GW.

And as you said you can only include 1 Assassin this way. So the Main Problem remains, either you spend a CP to include just one or Play 3 of them and waste a Complete Detachment for it.

I Guess Assassins will remain on the shelfs alongside the Inquisitors. At least thats what mine are doing.

The benefit of the 1cp strategem is that you don't have to choose which assassin it is you're taking until the game starts. So instead of paying 85pts for a specific assassin, you keep 85pts in reserve and then spend the 1cp at start of game to use the one you want for that match. It seems like it may be useful, especially for guard with a million CP anyway.

My current build is Brigade + Battalion + Aux for the assassin. Without Assassin I can do brigade + battalion + battalion.

I had a really cheesy style where culexus walked around with the psyker and the -2 really helped against so many lists.

So I can now do the 2x battalion version and if I get the other 3 assassins choose which to use. But to be honest for me none of the others help me as much.

So probably going to drop the Assassin and look at what to do with 85 pts

I'm very happy with these changes. I bit the bullet and started getting an execution force about a month ago with the plan of using them for an upcoming local tournament. Finished the first 3 yesterday, just waiting on the Calidus to arrive. Why that one is webstore exclusive is beyond me.

That they will actually be useful and more than just a fun choice is great. :)

The changes are very much welcome, I enjoyed using three of them with my guard before these changes even with the lukewarm rules.

The evesor was a great value before now even better (every kill gets an extra attack then rinse and repeat for 2CP, nice). The Calidius hasn't changed much but the phase sword going damage 2 helps. Biggest change for me is the Vindi, granted he still might not 1 shot a character, but at least he has the chance now to put more hurt out than D3. Don't use the Cullexus so cant comment on that one.

I found them fun before, my meta where petrified by them for some reason! Cant wait for the rules to drop to give them a run out should be a laugh.

Edit:spelling

The benefit of the 1cp strategem is that you don't have to choose which assassin it is you're taking until the game starts. So instead of paying 85pts for a specific assassin, you keep 85pts in reserve and then spend the 1cp at start of game to use the one you want for that match. It seems like it may be useful, especially for guard with a million CP anyway.

Not only that you dont need to dedicate a detachment (auxiliary or otherwise) to recruit one. So you effectively end up with an Aux detachment for free.

The Eversor is going to be a blender!

I want to paint mine up now! :teehee:

What are the best uses of each assassin for us?

I'm thinking:

- Vindicare is for taking out enemy characters that have too high saves/invulns for normal sniper rifles. Can deep strike too so can start behind the enemy if they are hidden.

- Callidus is good for increasing the enemy strategems costs, and a melee version of vindicare, can be a pain as she can fall back, shoot, and charge again.

- Eversor is good for clearing enemy chaff, S5/AP-1 is good against hordes, or S4/AP-3 is ok against marines. Pretty brutal against guardsmen gunlines as it can consolidate 6".

- Culexus is good for anti psykers or marines in combat (no armour saves).

I'm thinking:

- Vindicare is for taking out enemy characters that have too high saves/invulns for normal sniper rifles. Can deep strike too so can start behind the enemy if they are hidden.

- Callidus is good for increasing the enemy strategems costs, and a melee version of vindicare, can be a pain as she can fall back, shoot, and charge again.

- Eversor is good for clearing enemy chaff, S5/AP-1 is good against hordes, or S4/AP-3 is ok against marines. Pretty brutal against guardsmen gunlines as it can consolidate 6".

Vindi probably best to start on the board for extra shooting. With 72" range and -2 to hit (in cover) a decent vantage point  is all he needs.

I've tended to run my Callidus as you suggested as a melee version of the Vindi. The only caveat is actually being able to get her into combat, depending on how well your opponent bubble wraps their characters. 

Snip

The Eversor is going to be a blender!

I want to paint mine up now! :teehee:

Way ahead of you

gallery_72518_9307_235250.jpg

I'm thinking:

I don't think the Culexus shines all that much in combat. Yes, he can only be hit on 6s and yes, the opponent only gets invun saves, but he has what...4-5 S4 attacks? That won't be killing much and dedicated cc-units will just drown him in attacks until he fails enough saves.

I see him more as a shooty disruption unit that wants to be in that 18" range of enemy psykers and look scary.

And the Vindicare definitely wants to find some nice high up spot to perch on from the start. Losing a round of shooting plus his standing still bonus is probably rarely worth keeping him off the board. As a character with -2 to hit, he won't die quickly unless you deploy him badly.

The Callidus acrobat strategy is pretty rubbish, but the 2CP one to extend reign of confusion can be pretty good when combined with the amount of CP we start with.

I’m in love with the idea of making those Raven Knights blow 4 CP for their strat. Or making vect cost 5CP. Mmmm I can almost taste the tears!

I have to admit the Culexus seems to have missed out compared to the other three. He's not much different to what he is now, which is a support character who has a 36" bubble of -2 to Psychic/Deny the Witch tests. He can target Psyker characters easily and his grenade might do a Mortal Wound but as for pure killing power he's underwhelming. I miss his older rules really, he was good then in his little niche of creating chaos with psychic heavy opponents.

Now the other three have done quite well, the Vindicare in particular. I expect we'll see him in many lists when this drops - being able to shoot a second time for just 1CP is pretty amazing. The Rolling Wounds thing also will be fantastic, I've seen mechanism a couple of times and it always impresses with how much damage it can do.

I would imagine that's because he was one of the most used one before this update. I'm still bit puzzled about the changed wording to his Life Drain. It doesn't seem to make any practical difference. It shouldn't work against FnP style abilities, because those aren't saving throws but rather damage negation after the wound has already been done.

Agreed Culexus is still lacklustre as an anti psyker...

Maybe null zone was a bit too much but -2 to rolls doesn't help that much tbh... 

Also the wording has changed to affect all psykers, rather than just enemy psykers. our own ones will get -2 within 18"

Archived