Red Decals for Sword Bretheren

Callan

Been a busy several months, but I finally found time to work on my Crusade. Almost done with my Marshall, a Castellan, and the Intercessor squad they came from. One problem - I decided to put the squad leader in Sword Bretheren colors, but the Armorcast red decals I have don't show up against black well at all.

Where can I find good red Maltese crosses, brothers? I posted the question on a Facebook group, and one of our brothers showed off an excellent decal that was bright red against the black and was large, filling the pauldron properly... but hasn't responded yet on where I could get some.

Can't wait to share the Nachmund Crusade here, but I want at least these models FINISHED first.

You might look in the Alternative Templar Bits topic, or you might look at the decals available in the Downloads section (there are probably others - this is just the first set of Black Templars decals that I found).

Another technique that hobbyists use is to paint over decals, either to give them different colors or to enhance their colors. This takes a steady hand, though.

The Alternate Templar Bits topic only has Armorcast decals in the links up top, though admittedly I didn't browse to see if anyone had posted more since.

Making my own decals via Downloads is not an option. I don't have a printer, let alone a suitable one, and I don't know of any quality printing locations near me.

I tried painting over the decals. It did not go well.

MNUlwJpl.jpg

I've also been using the cross decals from Ginfritter's Gnomish Workshop (the "Armorcast decals") and had the same problem with the red crosses.  Instead, I use the white crosses and carefully paint over them with Evil Sunz Scarlet.  With the white decal underneath, a thin coat of red shows up very vividly while any overpainting practically disappears into the underlying black.

Edited by CommodusXIII

MNUlwJpl.jpg

I've also been using the cross decals from Ginfritter's Gnomish Workshop (the "Armorcast decals") and had the same problem with the red crosses.  Instead, I use the white crosses and carefully paint over them with Evil Sunz Scarlet.  With the white decal underneath, a thin coat of red shows up very vividly while any overpainting practically disappears into the underlying black.

Hmm, clever. I like it. I feel like there should be a better solution, but this may be the route I go.

• 1 year later...

MNUlwJpl.jpg

Hmm, clever. I like it. I feel like there should be a better solution, but this may be the route I go.

Hello Brethern!

I have new equipment for making decals and I can print brilliant reds that have a white base under the red ink. The picture below shows the new decal on the lone Pad. I also started to make Primaris scaled Iron Crosses as well.

95359419_1962649873872345_56482023043110

I started my Black Templar army in 1999 before there were any rules or decals for Templar's. That is basically how I got into making decals, sculpting and casting minis and how I acquired Armorcast.

http://www.armorcast.com

http://www.ginfritter.com

• 4 months later...

I'm gonna bump this thread because there's been an important update regarding TheMightyBrush's Maltese cross decals. 

They recently updated the design (you now order sheets entirely of one color, etc) but there was a change that wasn't mentioned. Upon comparing photos, it appeared that the shade of red was slightly darker. I contacted them and they confirmed that their red crosses are now a darker shade.

This is excellent, because as myself and others have noticed, their previous red decals were more orange-red. Now that the red is darker, I think that they will match with, say, Mephiston red much better. I don't think that opaqueness will be lessened, because from what I've seen their transfers are quite professionally made. I suspect they have access to high-quality printing equipment as they sell metallic transfers, which as I understand it are very difficult for a layman to create. I've already ordered a couple sheets, although it will take around three weeks (or more) for them to get to the US. I'll let you guys know how they are upon receiving them.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

That is good news. Red transfers have always been iffy, even VVV's are too orangey red for my preference.

Also. let us know if the new sheets apply better. I have one of the first pattern sets, (Which may be two patterns ago now.) and they curl for a past time. Which is why I have purchased VVV crosses throughout, they just apply so much easier, and work effortlessly on curved surfaces like pads.

• 3 weeks later...