Transporting Basilisks

H311fi5h

I currently don't own any, but I'm planning to add a number of artillery pieces to my collection at some point.

What is the best way to transport a bunch of Basilisks? Can they be magnetized in a space saving way? Would it make sense to assemble them with the gun horizontal and/or without the gun shield? Any ideas much appreciated. I already feel like a pack mule going to tournaments. 

The gun elevates as you please once assembled, so nothing to worry about there :) The shield does make them an unfortunate size and shape for transport however as they're too big for standard trays. I get around this by putting them in a box with good bubble wrap, I usually need a few other bits that can go in the box too and have a few different size ones (from the Baneblade transport, to smaller boxes that fit in my bag).

I think it should be possible to magnetise the shields without too much effort, that would go a long way. Sadly the main problem is the railings at the rear, just as with Wyverns/Hydras they're a recipe for breakage :(

I currently don't own any, but I'm planning to add a number of artillery pieces to my collection at some point.

What is the best way to transport a bunch of Basilisks? Can they be magnetized in a space saving way? Would it make sense to assemble them with the gun horizontal and/or without the gun shield? Any ideas much appreciated. I already feel like a pack mule going to tournaments. 

I use a Battlefoam case.  They sell trays that are made for the Basilisk.  If you didn't want to spend the obscene amount of money to get a whole setup, you could just buy the tray.  I'm sure you could figure out how to use it with something else.

I'm using 345 x 275 mm foam trays from a German company called "Feldherr" in combination with a hard plastic case from amazon. (I think the case is meant for camera equipment and stuff like that.) A 60 mm tall pluck foam tray holds 6 Leman Russ or Chimera hulls:

AnnhryM.jpg

EUdxFVg.jpg

The Basilisk hull is probably a bit longer with the rear platform sticking out I assume? And of course there is the barrel. So 6 in one tray is probably impossible. Maybe I could fit 4 turned 90°, using the space in the middle for the magnetized gun shields. How tall is a Basilisk with and without the shield? Preferably in cm :biggrin.:

Or I fit 3 in the same orientation as above and try to find something that fits on the opposite side of the tray. 

When you construct them, do not glue the gun deck into the chimera hull, it can slide in and out along the "rails" in the  hull. This allows you to take the gun out for more options regarding transporting. You can also then field them as a field emplacement as well, although a little janky looking. 

What makes the basilisk so unwieldy are the platform in the back and the gun shield - leaving both parts off, making them removable or modelling them differently makes the basilisk much easier to handle.

My basilisk is converted from a wyvern/hydra kit - taking off the gun turret, it's just a chimera chassis.

I'm beginning to consider scratchbuilding Vanaheim pattern gun shields from plasticard like this guy.

I really like this look much better. Shouldn't be too hard to make and helps with transportation.

This is what the original looks like (unfortunately no longer available from Forgeworld):

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/4/43/Vbasilisk1st.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived