Which hammer to use post CA?

lash144

Hey folks,

so I'm looking for the best hammer unit I can add to my BA tourney list and I'm really torn between 10 SG with fists and bolters or 10 Vanguard Vets (5 hammer shield, 5 Chainsword shield)

The rest of my army is a big blob of Intercessors and Aggressors moving up the board and killing all the chaff supported by an SG Ancient with the Relic banner and a Captain or maybe even dante himself, both buffers then could fly away to support the hammer unit turn 2 or 3.

So yeah, which unit is better in your opinion in a tournament setting?

Pros SG:

- 2W

- 2+SV

- Shooting

Pro Vanguard Vets:

- 3++!

- Thunder Hammers (flat 3 dmg vs D3)

- 5 sacrificial dudes

- 50 pts cheaper

I tend to go vanguard because I can usually fit in more bodies than with sang guard, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Even so I prefer the guaranteed damage on the hammers, and you can use the spare points to put some axes and swords on the shields to add even more killing power. Or if you can find 35 points elsewhere you'll have the points for an assassin for 1CP.

Hey

I am kinda in the same situation as you. I always run a DC unit and then I want a hard hitting unit. Cant get both VV and SG in the same list then unless i want to get rid of something else.

I tend to use the VV more. But it kinda depends on the task. I use my VV to charge and kill one target and then expect them to get blasted the next turn. The SG unit i tend to use a bit more cautiously. I think its because i value them more for some reason.  

My most common load out is as follows:

8 SG, 3 x PF, 3 x Axe, 2 x Swords, bolters on everyone. (Hard to find cool Power Fists in other boxes)

9 VV, 5 x TH/SS, 1 x Relic Blade/SS, 3 x Power Axe/SS.

Due to unwieldy i always run a JP Chaplain with the VV and preferably get him to support the SG as well.

I am also always trying to have a buff Libby supporting with the unleash rage. If i had to choose i would prefer the Chaplain for the re-rolls.

I hope it helps you out!

Regards

Yeah thats really the main argument for them. (and being able to take TH´s ofc :p)

My fear is their durability against small arms fire (even with the fnp banner combined) and against smite spam, since those SG have 2x number of wounds.

The thing is, both units are susceptible to different threats. So which one to take might depend on the opposition you expect to face.

Also, add HoA rule as a SG pro if they are close to the warlord.

It's definitely a pro, but I don't like that it only affects models within 6", so there will be some problems with deepstriking.

That's why I'm considering Dante actually.

Archived