Fighty primaris?

Phiasco

Hi everyone. I’m returning to the game after being out for a while. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but is there any sign or rumors of primaris marines that aren’t all primarily (hah) shooty? As in, close combat focused units? I’d feel a lot more inclined to plunge back in if there were. We are Blood Angels, after all.

Although the Vanguard Lieutenant looks to be having a first CC-dedicated rule in a Primaris model range. Still we need to wait for official confirmation to be sure.

Edit; forgot about Inceptors' mortal wounds during charge rule. So that would be the second rule then...

Although the Vanguard Lieutenant looks to be having a first CC-dedicated rule in a Primaris model range. Still we need to wait for official confirmation to be sure.

Edit; forgot about Inceptors' mortal wounds during charge rule. So that would be the second rule then...

And yet he kind of sucks as a CC-unit. Sure, he's got 4 attacks and the "unmodified 6s count as 2 hits" ability, but they're still Strength 4 AP 0 attacks.

So basically, he's a Reiver Sergeant with the Emperor's Spears Chapter Tactic as an inbuilt ability and a special gun. :down:

It's almost like GW is making sure to de-emphesize close combat aspects of Space Marines until they can make that a Primaris Space Marine faction of its own (a-la Vanguard) as a new release, with its own rules and models..

(Mark my words)

Reivers are meh if they have to fight anything that's not Gaunts or similar (aka T4 and no saves).

Intercessor Sergeants with Power swords are kinda decent but it's only the Sergeant so you shouldn't push the unit into melee all the time.

The Gravis Captain is great though. Just last saturday I HIed a Flyrant and beat the ever living crap out of it with his fist after it failed to take him out first (my opponent did a multi-charge so he could attack the captain as well). :D

Lieutenants are meh unfortunately. They cost too many points for what they do. They are barely better than Intercessor Sergeants.

Primaris Chaplains are decent in melee. Pretty much on a Captain level (since Primaris Captains don't have access to Thunderhammers and Storm shields).

I too am waiting for a proper melee release for Primaris like the rest here. I'll try out the new Infiltrator units once we get the full rules just to see if I like deploying my not-Intercessors this closely and charge them into the opponent but I'm kinda sure that I won't be buying into them as they don't really fit my armys theme. I hope that we eventually get a melee Troop choice as well but I won't hold my breath.

And yet he kind of sucks as a CC-unit. Sure, he's got 4 attacks and the "unmodified 6s count as 2 hits" ability, but they're still Strength 4 AP 0 attacks.

So basically, he's a Reiver Sergeant with the Emperor's Spears Chapter Tactic as an inbuilt ability and a special gun. :down:

Yeah if he'd have a Combat Blade instead, which doesn't cost any points anyway, he'd be better even.

Math wise, BA rievers do alright against PA though anyway, every hit helps.

5 guys have 16 attacks, 11 hits, 7 or 8 wounds, 2 or 3 dead marines.

Which isn't bad for a relatively cheap unit that's deemed a non threat. They aren't pointed as an elite CC unit afterall. Their leadership rebuff potentially means chaos marines even lose a further marine.

They aren't amazing but they are not total garbage. They just need to avoid close combat enemies themselves.

Even though they don't have the primaris keyword or are actually primaris in the fluff. Sanguinary guard pretty much have the primaris statline upgrade over normal marines. +1 attack, +1 wound. They even get a 2+ armour save.

Don't hold your breath for getting a primaris unit that can fight better than sang guard for the points.

It's almost like GW is making sure to de-emphesize close combat aspects of Space Marines until they can make that a Primaris Space Marine faction of its own (a-la Vanguard) as a new release, with its own rules and models..

(Mark my words)

If true, that wave of releases are going to explode in popularity that'd make shadowspear look like a drop in the bucket.

Even though they don't have the primaris keyword or are actually primaris in the fluff. Sanguinary guard pretty much have the primaris statline upgrade over normal marines. +1 attack, +1 wound. They even get a 2+ armour save.

Don't hold your breath for getting a primaris unit that can fight better than sang guard for the points.

I doubt GW rules team are being that considerate when designing primaris units.

.perhaps the BA turn up to save the Ultra marines lol.

Entirely off topic, but Im low-key hoping for the same thing.  Will make for an exceptional story. 

Sadly I think it's just going to end in a status-quo changing stalemate. AFAIK they confirmed Vigilus is only two books, and this one is all Chaos...

(Mark my words)

It's basically this.

After the Chapterhouse fiasco, GW will never make rules without models again.

We'll get CC primaris when the models are ready, and that is the limiting factor - the workload of the design team, as well as the production facilities. 

Releasing models in waves also allows for consolidated rules compilations, and a single codex update per year, rather than say, releasing an assault squad in Jan, veteran assault in March - the rules would be spread out over multiple books and boxes. 

Archived