Future of Non-Codex compliant chapters

Kasper_Hawser

We got a terrible codex. There is simply no other way to saying it. We were forced to wait that long for a bad codex. Our army is overpriced and lacks basic components that multiple armies have. When you combine those factors against other players it makes SW very weak. There's been multiple podcasts and tourney players listing all the current armies from best to worst. Space Wolves consistently come in tied for worst with Grey Knights as the worst army in the entire game.

Depressing. I know in my own meta that it is hard to win games with SW. I won't soup because I hate it. Even against mono codex lists the SW struggle so much. I'd like to see the Big FAQ coming help us out somewhat but I strongly doubt it.

I think however bad we think Space Wolves are, the Grey Knights are worse. Besides, we shouldn't listen to internet opinion but rely on our own experience as they can get really toxic to the point of overexageration. 

Sadly our own experience seem to match the internet opinion though.

Anyway guys, point you back to the video Fearpetey posted awhile back to continue to stand firm in light of the codex creep. Most of my negativity I now realise and admit is a knee jerk reaction to the new CSM codex and Vigilus Ablaze. It maybe true, but until I face them in it's full and (supposedly) broken glory, I will reign in my negativity.

Need to watch Fearpetey's shared video again. Here's the link for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/354305-to-my-brothers/

My last game was against my regular Black Legion opponent with the new CSM Shadowspear units mixed in with his usual list. I had to concede in turn 3 after his new Oblits killed my Relic Leviathan in one round of shooting. One round. He didn't even have to endless cacophony where you can shoot twice.

Index creep is real. I have played this game since Rogue Trader and I see it in every edition. Usually when you are one of the last codexes to come out you get a really strong one. Orks and Genestealer Cults came right after ours and they very strong. Our codex is terrible. The fact Chapter Approved 18 didn't lower any of our specific unit costs was the nail in the coffin at least for current meta.

I will always play and love Space Wolves but we are tied with Grey Knights as the worst codex in all of 8th edition. This is not hysteria or paranoia. I've played longer than some of the posters here have been alive. I know a bad army when I see one. Until GW decides to address our army to specifically try and fix the issues we will remain at the bottom of the barrel.

I don’t think of myself as a masochist, and I’m not saying that I don’t want to win a game now and then, but I like being the underdog. When I beat someone with space wolves (unless they’re playing grey knights), they know that I outplayed them and I can see it in their eyes. I learn more from every defeat, and I feel more pride in every victory.

Having said all that I don’t expect to win any tournaments, which is kind of a downer, but pulling out a “by-the-hair-of-my-teeth” victory at my FLGS and knowing I earned it is a great feeling.

Winning on easy mode can be nice too, but not like winning with a weaker codex.

to be honest iv not lost a game yet in 8th i play against the nids eldar(soup) black legeion ,death guard,1k sons,emps children

regular crons and tau once in a while a couple are close matches but I agree with night howler on this under dog bit.

my lists are a mono dex, simple cheap units played hard ,are we a bad codex well the points a bit off. the strategy's are ok the spells and relics a bit dull compared to some but we are the wolves.

keep on trucking brothers-until next winter

to be honest iv not lost a game yet in 8th i play against the nids eldar(soup) black legeion ,death guard,1k sons,emps children

regular crons and tau once in a while a couple are close matches but I agree with night howler on this under dog bit.

my lists are a mono dex, simple cheap units played hard ,are we a bad codex well the points a bit off. the strategy's are ok the spells and relics a bit dull compared to some but we are the wolves.

Glad you have good record. Will keep trucking.

One idea I've been toying with is to keep my Grey Hunters barebones. No more tooling them up with plasma or wolf guard sergeants. With Grey Hunters barebones, try to get a Brigade, then fill the rest with the toys. Long Fangs, Wulfen, Stormfang etc. Haven't tried yet, but we defintiely need the CP.

Glad you have good record. Will keep trucking.

One idea I've been toying with is to keep my Grey Hunters barebones. No more tooling them up with plasma or wolf guard sergeants. With Grey Hunters barebones, try to get a Brigade, then fill the rest with the toys. Long Fangs, Wulfen, Stormfang etc. Haven't tried yet, but we defintiely need the CP.

I've done the same thing but with two brigades 2x intercessors and 1x infiltrator. Very bare minimum, except a power sword on the sergeant.

i run two packs of blood claws 1 x 9 1 x 10 in rhinos and a wolf priest-wolfkin saga and wulfen stone as a face kicker works very well

silly attacks and the crozus works because enermy heros usualy have invi saves

i got my ass handed to me by grey knights and loyal 32

Grey Knights are really good vs. elite armies, they just struggle with the hordes/LOW meta which is not ok in this edition.

On the codex front, what bothers me is that I feel that we had to wait on it because of tooth and claw/genestealer cult. I think they wrote it at the same time as the other marine books, and then just threw it in the corner untouched until they had a good release window for the other stuff. When the release got close they realized it was in rough shape and just threw some warlord traits out like a band aid. That to me is the frustrating part, if the codex would have came out at the same time as the other two with battle leader and upgrade kit I think I would view it a lot more favorably. 

i got my ass handed to me by grey knights and loyal 32

Grey Knights are really good vs. elite armies, they just struggle with the hordes/LOW meta which is not ok in this edition.

On the codex front, what bothers me is that I feel that we had to wait on it because of tooth and claw/genestealer cult. I think they wrote it at the same time as the other marine books, and then just threw it in the corner untouched until they had a good release window for the other stuff. When the release got close they realized it was in rough shape and just threw some warlord traits out like a band aid. That to me is the frustrating part, if the codex would have came out at the same time as the other two with battle leader and upgrade kit I think I would view it a lot more favorably. 

Why would you? The codex is bad no matter when it came out. We are missing several vital tools other armies have. Our units are overpiced. Our stratagems and pysker spells are mediocre to bad. While I agree with you that it is obvious it was written a long time before it was actually released the codex itself is terrible on its merit.

I really expect the space wolves FAQ release will come out before any of the others, will be everything we ever dreamed of getting, and will come out promptly on April 1st.

Yea, and monkeys will fly out of my butt!

I really expect the space wolves FAQ release will come out before any of the others, will be everything we ever dreamed of getting, and will come out promptly on April 1st.

I say hold fast brothers. Right now SM are being remade as Primaris. GW will focus on the standard SM because they are the overwhelming majority and easiest to design. They will then move on to either SW or BA or DA as they are SM with aesthetics, then moving to GK because they are truly unique in every manner.

With more campaigns one of the non-codex chapter must be the focal and when that happens we may see our first non-codex marine.

Now if I am to be honest, it will not be SW. I am putting my money on BA and Sanguinor.

Can't believe I am seeing this panic from the Sons of Russ. You guys have an amazing following, literally everywhere. Let me tell you I can't seem to not bump into another marine player who either has a SW army or a handful of SW models (modeling, kill team etc) here in OZ anyway. 

Can't believe I am seeing this panic from the Sons of Russ. You guys have an amazing following, literally everywhere. Let me tell you I can't seem to not bump into another marine player who either has a SW army or a handful of SW models (modeling, kill team etc) here in OZ anyway.

BT also had an amazing following maybe eclipsing GK and DA ( the smallest of the big 4 iirc), however they were rolled up in codex book. Then there is Primaris that are very codex oriented. These 2 things are what are causing fear and this panic. If BT can get rolled up, than anyone can.

BT also had an amazing following maybe eclipsing GK and DA ( the smallest of the big 4 iirc), however they were rolled up in codex book. Then there is Primaris that are very codex oriented. These 2 things are what are causing fear and this panic. If BT can get rolled up, than anyone can.

I think what hurt Black Templars was a lack of specific kits, because I think GW judged how popular armies are based on kits sold but alot of people used decals and/or made their own emperors champion. The crusader was also shared kit, I don't see wolves going any where because we're popular and have unique kits that sell.

In 10 minutes I can make a fluffy BT codex with a strong variety of kits.

GW decided to cut support for some reason.

And still, I dare say, we are quite popular even if we are basically in life support.

Imagine if GW gave us proper kits.

I fear that Primaris will all have the same squad composition and in the future chapter specific units will be released like HH.

In 10 minutes I can make a fluffy BT codex with a strong variety of kits.

GW decided to cut support for some reason.

And still, I dare say, we are quite popular even if we are basically in life support.

Imagine if GW gave us proper kits.

I fear that Primaris will all have the same squad composition and in the future chapter specific units will be released like HH.

The one good thing is that it seems possible for BT to use the SW codex for most things. However the issue of denying psykers may cause issue, I know it is with my psykerless army. Things like Wulfen are easily changed with a honor guard, maybe use maces and morningstars (very knightly) instead of hammers. Mounted cavalry for TWC, I think AOS chaos warriors have horses the right scale. The rest is pretty much 1:1 after that.

You BT'ers are always welcome refuge over here until the storm passes or consumes us all.

I will end this by saying, we have nothing to fear. We are in the growing pains of the Primaris right now, let GW continue their path but let's keep a eye on things. Now that I am invested in Primaris sometimes I fear that they will release Primaris GH's and I will have to figure what to do then.

Keep calm, and ease your minds wolves, play for fun, experiment with these new Primaris, but keep you eyes open and your ears listening toward GW.

Archived