Rubric tactic/conversion question

Furnace Lord

Since I've restarted Black Legion I've kept an eye on threads about cult troops, since one of the fun things about BL is taking anything and having it be fluffy. I've seen a great deal about Noise Marines and Berzerkers, but not Rubrics. Just curious if people like them or feel they are better in pure Thousand Sons armies? They seem pretty scary with the Bolter Discipline rule, but I know this edition is also horde heavy (although their flamers also seem scary.)

Also, do you think a unit using the new Chaos Marine kit is appropriate, or parts of it mixed in with the normal kit? I don't know if all Rubrics wear the headdress, now. When I last played they no longer had models and you kind of had to paint regular chaos marines in TS colors to run them.

Just curious, I'm currently in the 'absorb all info like a sponge' phase while I focus on setting up the basics for my army.

I’m in a similar situation to you as I’m just starting a warband based around Iskandar Khayon from the Black Legion book and I’m obviously starting with a few boxes of Rubrics.

I think it depends on how heavy you are planning to go on the Thousand Sons side of Rubrics. My plan is to have a big 20 man squad-not because I expect a great deal from them but because they’ll distract somewhat from other units-along with two smaller five man units.

As that’s three units, I feel they’d do well in a TS battalion, instead of taking up Elite slots and being unable to cap objectives.

As for models, I think it’s best to stick to the headdresses, as that’s such an iconic part of the unit.

Id use standard sons models painted in black legion colors. They look good, & wont confuse people.

They are better in 1ksons armies, but my understanding us that "competitive" sons armues skip them for their birdmen much as "competitive" generic CSM armies have generally skipped CSMs for cultists.

That said, they aren't bad, especially if the bolter drill rule becomes official. Iirc, the familiar strat even lets you swap their champion's weak smite for a full strength hereticus power, which significantly improves him. If you like them, do that, and they should do some work for you between the arcane bolters and the champ's psychic power.

@ Furnace Lord - i don't know how well they'll do but i'm planning on running a detachment with my BL army too...

i'm starting with 3 x full 10 man squads with a flamer and a cannon..play around in some test games with mates and add or subtract from there :sweat:

my initial thought is objective campers but after i build all my BL army we'll see what happens then

i really love the dust bunnies so i'm going to try and find a niche for them in my army (rule of cool first and foremost in my armies :laugh.: )

also i'm keeping my guys cobalt just in case i want to continue on with them and have a stand alone army!, i think im going to get sick of painting black and gold very shortly so some alternate colour may be helpful in driving to finish the army.. 

good luck with whatever you choose...

Cheers, Mithril

Archived