Matte vs Gloss Wash

T-Grizz

I'm sure this topic has probably been covered, but I couldn't find it so I'll ask.

Recently I decided that while my homebrew was all well and good, I wanted to get back to my Templar roots. I've got most of a Dark Imperium Primaris force (minus some that my dog thought required alteration) and recently I picked up a Imperial Fist Primaris Army Box minus all the fisty bits. 

The question I've got for everyone is which wash do you normally use? I've always used normal nuln oil for my black armor, and I tried this method on my Captain in Gravis Armor and thought the result was pretty good. But I recently picked up the nuln oil gloss, and thought that maybe it would be better. I've got a test model with that drying right now. I was just curious what method you all prefer.

I've also considered doing both. A matte coat to dull down the extremes of the edge highlights with a gloss coat afterwards to shine it back up. What do yall think?

For models you intend to use for gaming I recommend you to varnish as a last step in your paintjob on the models.

I you don't have an airbrush and don't intend to use one, then use a matt varnish spray(can) like Testors dullcote (What most spraycan-users that tried different varnish spraycans recommend).

If you do use airbrush then you will have more control over the varnish job and can adjust it better to the type of paintjob, so therefore in that case I suggest the following:

• If you paint the model with a metallic paint scheme, then I suggest you to varnish using a 1:3 mix of matt varnish and gloss varnish. This will be like a satin varnish but a wee bit on the glossy side in order to increase the light reflections on the overwhelming metallic surface. Thin this mixture down 1:1 before airbrushing it in two thin layers. If there are any surfaces in this case that you don't what to have a slight glossy satin finish then you can go in with paintbrush and brush on a thinned coat of matt varnish.
  • If you paint the model with a flat non-metallic paint scheme, then I suggest you to varnish using a 3:1 mix of matt varnish and gloss varnish. This will be a bit more like a satin varnish. Thin this mixture down 1:1 before airbrushing it in two thin layers.

The varnishing after the paint job will render the washing/inking and other paint layers' matteness/glossness irrelevant, since the final varnish coat will govern whether the model's final surface will be matt or glossy.

I read that the Eavy Metal team like a 50:50 mix of Matt and gloss nuln oil, especially over metallics.

To finish the model I just go for two thin coats of Vallejo satin varnish, through an airbrush. The slight sheen works well for power armour I think and helps make the colours more vibrant. If I then want any of my metallics to be a bit glossier I’ll brush or spray on a thin gloss varnish.

I used to do matte varnish from a spray can and then picked out lenses, gems and Power weapons, marvel and so on with brush on gloss varnish.

I went with citadel matte varnish first, which I loved because dull, matte cream Black armour just looks awesome. Be aware that you need to highlight brighter than expected as your Highlights will be dulled. Shading on Red robds and cloaks looks amplified like this.

Then I tried liquitex matt spray on which is smell neutral and almost doesnt alter the colors of the Mini. Especially it leaves your metallics intact. Also its smell neutral and available for 10€ a can on Amazon prime.

I do own an airbrush now and will switch to ak interaktive ultra matte varnish which is supposed to be the mattest matte varnish in town.

Archived