Frag Assault Launchers: A Revelation

t-dog1996

I never really understood the utility of frag assault launchers, despite many people on here singing their praises. I mean sure, mortal wounds are nice but why would I want my Land Raider Crusader anywhere near combat? Cue my 2000 point game today against a Tau player. His was an intimidating list: 50 Fire Warriors, 20 Pathfinders, a Stormsurge, 3 Broadsides and a Coldstar Commander, plus a few other bits and bobs.

However by turn 3 things were swinging my way. I had managed to clear away most of his infantry, and I was in a good position to take on his Broadsides. The only problem was the Stormsurge. It still had almost half its wounds left, and my opponent kept making his invulnerable save. I needed to get him into close combat to stop his shooting, and for that I needed something tough enough to tank his shooting to act as a screen for the rest of my charging units.

This is when I noticed that my Land Raider was close by and still in possession of a fair chunk of its wounds. I also remembered about the frag assault launchers. I charged, rolled a 4 to hit and got 3 mortal wounds. The Sanguinor and my Termie Librarian bagged 2 more. By this point the Stormsurge was down to 4 wounds. Another turn passed, the Stormsurge fell back and finished off my Sternguards despite its damage, but elsewhere the battle was turning decisively in my favour as my Death Company, screened by an Angel's Wing Chaplain, dealt with his Broadsides.

I decided to go for broke; I charged with the Land Raider again. The Stormsurge's huge gun (I forget the name) hit the Land Raider twice on overwatch, but rolled two 1s to wound (the Land Raider being down to 2 wounds by this point). I got into close combat, rolled a 5 this time, and was then able to bag another 3 mortal wounds. At this point my Death Company Dreadnought had arrived to deliver the killing blow.

Without those frag assault launchers letting me repeatedly ignore the Stormsurge's 4+ invulnerable save (damned shield generator!) I'd almost certainly have lost the match. That thing was just putting out too much firepower. But now I have seen the light. Also on the subject of mortal wounds, using hellfire shells on a Scout Heavy Bolter is awesome. Can't believe I haven't used it more before now.

Archived