Thoughts on the Master of Executions?

Kaldoth

So, hands down my favorite new model to be released is the Master of Executions. If I'm being honest with myself, I really have no idea why I like him so much. I guess hacking off important people's heads with a giant axe just speaks to me on an emotional level :P

So, I was wondering if anyone has played one of these guys yet? They don't seem bad for what they cost. They have an exalted champ's statline with an extra attack, some pretty cool movement bonuses to get them in the thick of it, choice of rerolls, and a free power fist that deals mortal wounds on 6s and no negatives to hit. Pretty sweet package for only 70 points. Throw the MoK on him so he can fight twice and he could get pretty nasty. I guess my biggest concern for him would be keeping him alive/getting him up the board.

Have any of you played one yet as a proxy? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Aside from the model's Ribwich Flintstone pauldron I kinda totally love the notion and for his price point I'm gonna be using him more. 

Alright, I used one proxied with my old Reaver Champion model (which just so happens to have a big blasted axe) and he did pretty adequately.  Admittedly, he got dropped by a lone wolf with thunderhammer/shield but I rolled poor for the damage output. The MoK and particularly a decent roll with First Among Traitors for my Black Legion makes him a pretty big threat thanks to not taking that -1 to hit for Death to the False Emperor. 

Honestly, I'm impressed, he does what I need him to do, even if he is a supplementary character that wants to hang around the Warlord most of the time.  I guess he's a nice intercessor bodyguard (Pun not exactly intended). 

I am eager to try one as a Flawless Host Warlord with Intoxicating Elixir. 6 attacks hitting on 2+ while wounding infantry on a 2+ and pretty much everything else on 3+ from S10 feels right. Turning those extra hits from +2 with DttFE and Death to the Imperfect to +4 from the Warlord trait looks like a great way to stack those mortal wounds. It’s all theory now, but hopefully I can get some games in soon.

How do we think it compares to the Exalted Champion? That has to use a powerfist instead of the nice axe and so costs a bit more, but it has full re-roll wounds aura and re-rolls hits vs characters. The Executioner just gets 1 re-roll of hits, wounds, or dmg, and only against characters. It seems like the Champion is better here despite 1 less attack? Or do the Executioners pile in mechanics make up the difference?

My thoughts on him are solely on Natfka's post from yesterday... where he shows a picture from the codex, points out this guy, and said paragraphs on how this is another unit no one knew about. It was quickly deleted...

On an actually on point statement, his reliable damage at a cheap cost, and his lack of demand to actually be part of the same legion as everyone around him, make him an excellent hq slot filler.

How do we think it compares to the Exalted Champion? That has to use a powerfist instead of the nice axe and so costs a bit more, but it has full re-roll wounds aura and re-rolls hits vs characters. The Executioner just gets 1 re-roll of hits, wounds, or dmg, and only against characters. It seems like the Champion is better here despite 1 less attack? Or do the Executioners pile in mechanics make up the difference?

I still think the Executioner fits the bill (almost literally) just by being a few points cheaper with the imbued weapon option.  The ability to get the Death to the False Emperor on multi-wound imperias and the one-shot free reroll for the damage characteristics is a nice healthy perk.  I do think the Exalted Champion isn't just a lateral upgrade, but a fairly clear one that does more for a force, but in conjunction with other factors such as MoK, a warlord reroll, and the free reroll on that inevitable dmg roll is pretty fancy for a secondary HQ.  So he plays a part and in some legions he could be pretty big. 

I mean, I like him, though with the sneaky inclusion of Thunderhammers slotted in the chaos melee weapons list for characters and non characters alike actually robbed some of his thunder for me.

I'm struggling to find a point to him. Yes, he kills characters good. But that's all he does. (Edit: to be fair, he also does work against non-characters as well. 5 attacks at WS2+ that can still DttFE isn't half bad.)

Exalted Champions also kill characters (rerolls to hit on top of their native rerolls to wound), but also provide an aura of rerolls to wound.

You could hit him with the +1 to wound prayer from a Dark Apostle and VotLW to cause mortal wounds on a 4+ to wound, but I'd rather use those on a Berzerker squad. And it's going to be hard to get the Dark Apostle into a position where this can be used offensively.

Best I can think of is as a cheap-ish HQ (only 10pts more than a Warpsmith) to fill out a detachment. Run him with a melee-oriented unit so that unit doesn't have to take a power fist on their champion to bust big things (or take both, just to be sure). Hell, combo with an Exalted Champion to increase your chances of rolling those 6s to wound.

I feel like (in theory) the Master of Executions has the edge over the Exalted Champion when it comes to tackling harder to kill units/characters from a purely stat and gear standpoint.  Given that a fist reduces your hit rolls down to hitting on a 3+ with the champ, a 2+ power fist at strength 8 makes me feel like, on average, you're going to be using that reroll for the D3 damage more than anything.  You also don't get the DTFE procs on an exalted champ with a fist unless he's buffed by Presience/some other buff source.  The fact you do get those DTFE rolls (which can then proc more mortal wounds if you're lucky) seems pretty nasty, especially if you use the fight twice stratagem with him. Plus his ability to heroically intervene at double range is nothing to sniff at. 

I definitely give it to the Exalted Champ for buffing nearby close combat units, but I think the Master of Executions is better suited to tackling Characters for the reasons above. Now, having the two of them in close proximity to eachother... makes me wonder if taking a Supreme Command Detachment with 2 Executioners and a Champ might be effective, especially if backed by some berzerkers or cheap chainaxe/chainsword chosen...

I think a MoE and The Scourged's warlord trait makes for a interesting counter-charger.

Other than that, I feel that an Exalted will give the bigger payoff most of the time. That aura is just so good if you build around it.

I feel like (in theory) the Master of Executions has the edge over the Exalted Champion when it comes to tackling harder to kill units/characters from a purely stat and gear standpoint.  Given that a fist reduces your hit rolls down to hitting on a 3+ with the champ, a 2+ power fist at strength 8 makes me feel like, on average, you're going to be using that reroll for the D3 damage more than anything.  You also don't get the DTFE procs on an exalted champ with a fist unless he's buffed by Presience/some other buff source.  The fact you do get those DTFE rolls (which can then proc more mortal wounds if you're lucky) seems pretty nasty, especially if you use the fight twice stratagem with him. Plus his ability to heroically intervene at double range is nothing to sniff at. 

I definitely give it to the Exalted Champ for buffing nearby close combat units, but I think the Master of Executions is better suited to tackling Characters for the reasons above. Now, having the two of them in close proximity to eachother... makes me wonder if taking a Supreme Command Detachment with 2 Executioners and a Champ might be effective, especially if backed by some berzerkers or cheap chainaxe/chainsword chosen...

Hmmm. As others have said, the thunder hammer on the Champ makes a big difference. Always having D3 is a big deal.

Hmmm. As others have said, the thunder hammer on the Champ makes a big difference. Always having D3 is a big deal.

No disagreement here! Having Thunder Hammers is awesome. 3 flat damage is boss. It's far too late for me to do the mathhammer right now, but I feel like the access to mortal wounds and DTFE when it comes specifically to character hunting is what is going to edge out the MoE over a Smash Champ when it comes to Character killing.  Those pesky invul saves are, well, pesky.  But again, that's Character killing only. If I had to pick one or the other for elite troop killing, or characters without invul saves, I'd definitely take the Smash Champ for the extra 21 points.  Any other situation, I'd probably lean towards the MoE.  All purely 2 AM conjecture of course :smile.:

He's a slow and rather squishy beatstick with no other use. So the question is, how badly do you need such a unit if you already have a Lord and/or Daemon prince in your army which are also great beaststicks, potentially more mobile, more durable and offer more utility by having auras and in case of the daemon prince also psychic powers?

I like the concept of him but I'm not really seeing a way to squeeze him into my army over my usual staples, he's so situational that I don't feel he is going to do much for me most of the game and I'd rather have a character with an aura, or Sorceror or Dark Apostle with prayers etc etc. My only use for him would be to babysit my gunline or chuck him in a Rhino with some chosen.

My battalion usually has a Jump pack Lord and Sorceror for the 2 HQ choices, if I take another detachment then I'm still leaning towards an Exalted Champ or Dark Apostle for that 3rd HQ. 

What is the best miniature contender to build an exalted champ?

No wrong way to do it. My current Khornate Exalted Champion is made with two shoulder plates for the Khorne Champion, the Khorne Champion helmet (both from the old CSM kit), and dual chainswords from Raptor kits. He looks very set apart, more like a knight than the Berzerkers he accompanies. I haven't picked up a new CSM kit yet, but Raptors and possessed have good parts for upgrades. Dark Vengeance Chosen might be good too. Just make him look distinct.

He's a slow and rather squishy beatstick with no other use. So the question is, how badly do you need such a unit if you already have a Lord and/or Daemon prince in your army which are also great beaststicks, potentially more mobile, more durable and offer more utility by having auras and in case of the daemon prince also psychic powers?

This, pretty much.

I'll still opt for a Renegade Chaos Lord on bike with a Murder Sword if I want to hunt someone, or a MoK DP if it's a more of a "to whom it may concern" kind of deal.

Not a fan. Lacks an invuln save (of course), so his ability to duel worthwhile characters is somewhat dead in the water unless he gets the charge and fights first. This means the opponent is free to interrupt berzerkers, who are also good at killing anything/everything.

Don’t like the model, either.

So I’ll be sticking with my reliable exalted champion.

Ill get 1 for dang sure. He is great fodder to stick into a Red Corsair "heretical 17" detachment. Also Run+Charge is ace for his statline. 

He is very much a "fire and forget" character and could even feasibly kill a tank or walker on his own with his 5 base attacks hitting on a 2+. 

I think having 1 is a good idea, has his uses for sure though I do agree he fights a cavalcade of other Chaos HQ slots of which we as a faction are spoiled for choice! 

I dont think this guy is all that good.  He is not all that threatening to really nasty stuff like custodes biker captains, abaddon, or the swarmlord so i dont see him offering much over a murdersword exalted champ.

The types of characters he threatens are just as vulnerable to an exalted champ with the murder sword.  Seems like a sidegrade at best.  

Exalted Champion is better, either as a specific character assassin (MURDERSWORD) or just being a better force multiplier who has access to S8 (exalted champion). That being said I like the model other than the hood which is easily fixed with a head swap.

I personally feel like he’s an okay choice in a category that Chaos really didn’t need more of. I won’t pick one up because I bet he shows up in a Kill Team character box in the near future.

Archived