Legal loadouts after GW's putting limited options in kits?

Another option would be to Mk III or IV marines and just use Heresy schemes and Loyalist weaponry.

It's not as affected by the warp as 'proper' Chaos models, but it might put an interesting spin on things. Of course, it'll prevent you from having a homogenous looking army if you ever stray from what can be easily proxied...

Or just mix the two kits

I'm not convinced that there has ever been a chaos terminator kit that actually allowed for the default build of the unit.

There definitely was not. At least in the times of metal blisters you could buy individual terminators, and see what weapons they came with. It was kind of a lottery though - unless you bitz-ordered them!

I think I must have used my last Tartaros combi bolter to make an extra combi bolter for my Rhino as I couldn't find it in my bits box. I did few combi bolter 'halves' from my defiler and Helbrute though so I might try and service them into a combi bolter for my champion. Waiting for the new CSM box to arrive today so that I can compare the scale first.

Archived