Hellbrute loadouts?

I hear a lot of love for Hellbrutes because they are cheap but still hard to ignore. I'd like to hear how people equip them. My instinct is to take lascannons and a missile launcher and just use it as a gun platform. Is this wasting potential, should I keep a melee arm?

Also, do you find Hellforged Contemptors useful? It seems they aren't super expensive and have interesting weapons. I'm not overly familiar with the forgeworld stuff but I do know they have the Hellbrute keyword.

Depends on your Legion I'd say. Helbrutes are one of the few non-infantry units we have that benefit from legion traits.

Red Corsairs probably want dual fists, since they will most likely be advancing and charging anyway.
Flawless Host wants as many attacks as possible, so a powerscourge.
A World Eater Helbrute with Dual Fists is outright scary if it reaches melee. 

Generally the other Legions/Renegades (especially Alpha Legion and Scourged) prefers one, if not two ranged weapons.

I'm personally a fan of the Helbrute Plasma Cannon+Fist setup. Super cheap and still a threat in both melee and form afar. 

Thank you. I'm Black Legion so there's not much in the trait to benefit me, unfortunately. It sounds like for general use they work well being flexible, which is nice because I think the Scourge looks fantastic.

For the Contemptor, do they still make butcher cannons for them, I didnt see them on the Forgeworld site. Would you just buy a normal one and try to come up with some kind of kitbashed cannons on the arms?

For the Contemptor, do they still make butcher cannons for them, I didnt see them on the Forgeworld site. Would you just buy a normal one and try to come up with some kind of kitbashed cannons on the arms?

Pretty much. I used Maulerfiend cannons on mine.

Dragonlover

I use to run a twin heavy bolter/scourge helbrute, just keep it nice and cheap, not super threatening but still useful. With chainreapers being just better than a twin-heavy bolter though now, not sure I will keep running that. I'll probably want a dual scourge or dual fist helbrute to run with my red corsairs, just ignore shooting so it can advance and charge. 

I like the Reaper autocannon on mine; cheaper than the twin heavy bolter, basically as effective. Run a fist with it to bust vehicles, or a scourge for chump troops.

The other night i ran dual fist / heavy flamers. The fire twice helbrute strategem butchered an entire squad before the fight phase.

I like the Reaper autocannon on mine; cheaper than the twin heavy bolter, basically as effective. Run a fist with it to bust vehicles, or a scourge for chump troops.

The other night i ran dual fist / heavy flamers. The fire twice helbrute strategem butchered an entire squad before the fight phase.

You can only use it if you did not move. How did your enemy stay in range voluteerely? =D

I use sonic hellbrutes. But OP is not using EC, so i recommend the very cheap double fist brute with combi bolters, to make use of bolter dicipline. I would use a reaper/ rocket launcher brute for using that stratagem. It is a loadout with long range, so it can be parked somewhere and can stand still. and you have to shoot at the closest visible unit. So double las is often wasted here.

I am gling to try a noodle brute soon with flawless host. I am a bit sceptical though because the double scourge does not get any discount..

I've got one that come from dark vengeance that I grabbed from another player. It's kinda easy to build stuff.  But what is its loadout?

From there, what can I do to make this one more efficient? The problem is its positioning especialy the left arm.

I've got one that come from dark vengeance that I grabbed from another player. It's kinda easy to build stuff.  But what is its loadout?

From there, what can I do to make this one more efficient? The problem is its positioning especialy the left arm.

Multi melta, fist 

The DV Helbrute is Multimelter and Fist. Changing that loadout is tricky as you pretty much have to hack it up.

You can only use it if you did not move. How did your enemy stay in range voluteerely? =D

He did not move during my Movement Phase. Warptime moves during Psychic Phase, and 'brutes can move 8".

I love my helbrutes. I use multi melta / fist one from Dark Vengenace who is great at Anti tank and a twin heavy bolter / scourge one who blends infantry. I use the fist helbrute to be aggressive while the scourge helbrute supports my marines and cultists, I enjoy using fire frenzy on the twin heavy bolter BRRRRRRT 12 shots! I've only had a helbrute go crazy once for me but it was glorious when it did as it was in melee. They definitely excel in melee if you can get them there but they can pack a punch at range too.

It's pretty easy to put a combi-bolter or a heavy flamer on the fist - here's a pic of the heavy flamer I converted out of 2 Millitarum flame throwers.

qVZcmFi.jpg

Or, if you have some extra maulerfiend arms (from building that kit as a forgefiend), you can hack off both the DV hellbrutes arms to make a dual fist hellbrute.  It does take a lot of sawing though.  Here's mine.

AntiWdw.jpg

I've got one that come from dark vengeance that I grabbed from another player. It's kinda easy to build stuff. But what is its loadout?

The multimelta slices off easily; I replaced it with the reaper autocannon barrels. And if you want a heavy flamer on the fist, you don't need to convert anything. The palm has that big open mouth in it, which you can claim is a daemonic mouth spitting fire.

Note, if you aren't sure what weapons to put on the hellbrute, and you have the non-DV version with all the options, one option is to magnetize it.

XTN7uy5.jpg

I used this excellent guide in doing so:

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/converting-modelling-green-stuff/171250-tutorial-how-fully-magnetize-helbrute.html

I never even knew there was a guide. It was pretty straightforward to figure out; the most time consuming part was figuring out which hoses i wanted to glue where

Note, if you aren't sure what weapons to put on the hellbrute, and you have the non-DV version with all the options, one option is to magnetize it.

XTN7uy5.jpg

I used this excellent guide in doing so:

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/converting-modelling-green-stuff/171250-tutorial-how-fully-magnetize-helbrute.html

I did that too. I own 4 hellbrutes. 2DV ones which i made magnetizeable with the lefover bits from the standard multipart kit and two of the regular multipart kit. All is magnetized in the same way as above. Exept i only magnetized the hammer / scourge swap only once. Its glorious. =D

My only gripe is that paints starts chipping off a bit.

Most helbrute loadouts have value. Reaper autocannon seems bad compared to twin heavy bolter except against T3 and 6.

I like my plasma cannon/missile launcher helbrute. His all rounder loadout isn't optimal on its own but works well with the limitations on the fire frenzy stratagem. The problem with twin lascannon/missile launcher is that you can't rely on the closest target for fire frenzy being a tank. The other way round this issue is to take 3 las/missile 'brutes, then you don't have to rely on fire frenzy and its more likely that one will be placed to use it.

For Black Legion, Dual Fist/Dual Combi-Bolter isn't bad. You can Advance and still fire 2 shots per arm at something small, then roll in and kill stuff in hand to hand. You can also go with one ranged/one melee arm and run them in the middle of your CSM infantry as combined fire support and countercharge.

I agree with this. Bolter Discipline also makes twin combi-bolter actually really good all round, especially on a cheap model you're paying to use in melee.

I've got one that come from dark vengeance that I grabbed from another player. It's kinda easy to build stuff. But what is its loadout?

The multimelta slices off easily; I replaced it with the reaper autocannon barrels. And if you want a heavy flamer on the fist, you don't need to convert anything. The palm has that big open mouth in it, which you can claim is a daemonic mouth spitting fire.

I can second this, I replaced the melta barrel on mine with magnets.

gallery_85153_13735_991925.png

World Eaters/Renegade Helbrutes with a fist/scourge. The latter hidden inside dreadclaws so they can move + advance + charge when they disembark. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but soon enough, hopefully.

The discount on double fist puts me off scourge/scourge or scourge/fist despite the advantages. Helbrutes die too easily to make them expensive.

Single scourge paired with a gun is good though.

Archived