Havoc Kit PSA

Wayniac

(reposted from the CSM Facebook group if you've already seen it there)

PSA: The Pop Goes the Monkey "Rip Cannon" (Not-Chaincannon) is designed similar to the normal way a gun is held, not the way the Havoc Kit holds it.

The Autocannon and Heavy Bolter arms require conversion work to remove the hand so you can place the Rip Cannon's hand on them. They seem to work better on regular CSM where the hand is separate from the arm, so if you have spare arms that's better to use than the actual Havoc arms which are arm + at least part of the weapon, not two separate pieces.

Looking closer it would be almost impossible to use the Autocannon arm because of the way it's held (the wrist part sits flush against the autocannon). The heavy bolter arm could be done with some conversion work.

Basically, the Havoc kit has the arm and gun as one (at least one) piece, while the "normal" arm has the arm and hand separate so you can place a weapon in the hand.

This is why I want to have the kits in hand before I invest time modelling solutions; not that it's a fault on the producers of the other kits that existed before this release. Even if I'm not doing the entire weapon I want the components to fit/scale correctly, and if I am doing something more elaborate I'll want to test fit so I'm positive it's 100% compatible. Right now I'm about to start work on modelling a set of articulated hands that I should be able to adjust to suit any pose and/or scale I might need. If I do them right I should only need to make them once and then they can be inserted into future builds in the required poses that can be changed as needed. I can see how they'll work in my mind, now I need to make them real.

Can't be coincidence, the way they design kits to fit together nowadays, and the proliferation of 3rd party bits in the past couple of years.

Oh yeah, it's obviously intended to limit the number of 3rd party bits you can use with their kits.  same reason most of the bodies now have part of the legs/torso together, so you can't get 3rd party legs or torsos and use them on GW kits.  It's 100% intentionally.

I guess I don't blame them, as lame as it ends up being for us at times. Can't outfox China, though. 

At any rate, thanks for the heads up regarding the PSA. I know lots of people are seeking alternatives right now, given how good the chainreaper is and how few there are to go around.

Just a heads up.  I bought the Pop Goes the Monkey "Rip Cannon" bits.  As far as I can tell after about 30 minutes of trying they are NOT compatible with the new CSM kit.  The only two arms that have hands separate are the Heavy Bolter and special weapon arms.  However, if you attach the arms to the chaincannon there will be a large gap between them and the body of the marine.  If you attach the arms to the body, the gun will not sit properly.  It would require extensive conversion work to try and reposition the arms somehow to fit both.

Overall this kit is clearly intended to not be compatible with 3rd party bits.  I can't speak to Kromlech or any of the other chaincannon-like bits floating about, but the "Rip Cannon" seems to be a wash and won't work.

Overall this kit is clearly intended to not be compatible with 3rd party bits. 

Alternative outlook, the third party bits were designed to be compatible with a different, older kit. It's not really GW's business to consider the likes of PGTM when designing new products.

Use the rip barrels on a heavy bolter or reaper cannon

That is currently my idea.  Or run only 2 squads with them (I bought 2 Havoc squads) and 2 with Plasma or something else rather than 4 with chaincannons.

So overall consensus is drop £130 on 4 havoc kits or get some instamould and greenstuff a few :teehee:

Basically.  Or not run many Chaincannons.

So overall consensus is drop £130 on 4 havoc kits or get some instamould and greenstuff a few :teehee:

Not really? Overall consensus is to get some gatling rifles you fancy from wherever and attach them to the Heavy Bolter and Autocannon cases in the Havoc box.

Overall this kit is clearly intended to not be compatible with 3rd party bits.

Alternative outlook, the third party bits were designed to be compatible with a different, older kit. It's not really GW's business to consider the likes of PGTM when designing new products.

Yeah, totally shocking, that.

Also its all but confirmed the new Havoc bases are 40mm base size? Seems like what base size models come with isn't in the item description anymore for some kits. 

Not "all but confirmed", they ARE on 40mm bases. Someone at my local GW was building them when I stopped by for paint and the Night Lords omnibus, and they're on 40mm bases.

Also its all but confirmed the new Havoc bases are 40mm base size? Seems like what base size models come with isn't in the item description anymore for some kits. 

They are indeed on 40mm bases, to accommodate the very wide "bracing" stances they have.

Interesting to see if third-party suppliers start making arms for the new kits, or if we just start seeing chaincannon barrel swaps for the abundance of heavy bolters.

That does seem like the cost-effective solution that will still maintain the right scale and aesthetic. I hope so! I have yet to see one that fits well with the warp-touched style GW is emphasizing, but it’s only been a few weeks.

Anyone that has this kit, do you think they will fit ok on 32mm bases? Want to be able to use them in CSM and vice versa if i need to

Imagine putting the Ork Flash Gitz on 32s, or most Ork Boyz on 25s.

It's the same issue. You CAN, but their stances are so wide the only part of their feet that's solidly on their base is the heel.

Interesting to see if third-party suppliers start making arms for the new kits, or if we just start seeing chaincannon barrel swaps for the abundance of heavy bolters.

That does seem like the cost-effective solution that will still maintain the right scale and aesthetic. I hope so! I have yet to see one that fits well with the warp-touched style GW is emphasizing, but it’s only been a few weeks.

My next round of GW kits have arrived today and I'll be looking at them in the near future. In my case, yes, I will be making kits that have these models in mind. Will that mean they will be tailor fit parts or components that are modular enough to accommodate the parts to the base model? Still not sure until I can see how involved each option will be. Easier stuff should be able to come first once I've figured out their new wrist attachment, but then I'll consider how to pull off more elaborate hand, arm, weapon, combinations. I'm all about fit and finish, so I actually enjoy the challenge of making components that are as seamless as possible. Just needed to get them in-hand so I can get the scale, detailing, and fit, just right to match as close as possible. Combi-Weapons, Chain Axes, Daemon Weapons, Reaper Cannons, oh my! I just need to cast right now, and then I'll be sitting down and seeing what Dark ideas I can make real.

Got my Havocs today, can confirm OP. Also, they are noticeably bigger than the new CSMs and are on 40mm bases.

They are also mono-pose for the most part. Havoc 1 is only the champion. Havoc 2 can only make the chaincannon, heavy bolter, or autocannon. Havoc 3 can make heavy bolter or autocannon. Havocs 4 and 5 can make either missile launcher or lascannon each.

Can't be coincidence, the way they design kits to fit together nowadays, and the proliferation of 3rd party bits in the past couple of years.

Not to mention thwart people magnetizing their kits. Much better to have multiples of the same guys to have all the options.

Archived