Best loadout for noise marines?

Before the Beta bolter rules, the best loadout was take as many blastmasters as is permitted, and take sonic blasters on everyone else.  Champion should get another weapon of some sort - I recommend a combi-bolter, as they are cheap and match well with the unit's other shooting.  THough, if you intend to keep them moving, a blastmaster might not be worth it if you have a lot of other anti-tank weapons.

If you play with the beta bolter rule, the sonic blaster doesn't so thoroughly outclass the bolter... if you plan for the unit to mostly stay still in the 12" to 24" zone and/or shoot only in the within 12" zone, its whether you think 1 extra shot, assault and ignore cover are worth 4 points.

I have never played them before. Sonic Blasters sound good for a mobile unit since they never have to sacrifice shooting strength, and especially in an Emperor's Children army where they have ObSec and are probably maneuvering to deal with objectives anyway?

Does Music of the Apocalypse let them shoot anything in range with line of sight, not just what killed them? I've also read on another site that if they are killed in anything that isn't a shooting phase, when they get their Music attack they can ignore targeting restrictions on characters due to the wording of the rules...is that true?

As for not having to shoot the unit that killed it, that is correct - that's in the Codex: CSM FAQ.

As for shooting anything, even without LOS - I don't think so.  The FAQ doesn't address this specifically, but does state that you can only shoot your pistols at units within 1", so that strongly suggests the normal shooting rules apply, where able.

One neat thing made clear in the FAQ is that if the model is killed in the fight phase, you get to use DttFE on your shooting attack, even if it is at a unit the model wasn't in melee with.

I'd still say Sonic Blasters are worth the points. They still do more damage overall than Bolter with Bolter discipline and more importantly, they don't suddenly use half their damage output while on the move and >12" away from their target which is kinda important as EC since they are your troops and you want to get them on objectives etc.

Blastmasters are still worth it even if you are moving since hitting on 4+ isn't the worst thing and you could aways just use the Assault profile for 1d6 S4 AP-1 shots if you want to hit on 3+ on the move.

The Champion can actually take a Sonic Blaster, a Doom Siren AND a Combi-Bolter so just give him that and enjoy all the dakka he puts out, or give him a Sonic Blaster, a Doom Siren and a melee weapon of choice if you want to.

If you don't play EC I'd be inclined to say that you are better off with Combi-Bolter + Chainaxe Chosen/Terminators or go all the way into the anti-infantry shooting with Chaincannon/Heavy Bolter Havocs.

Music of the Apocolypse doesn't give any exceptions to the regular shooting rules except that it allows you to shoot while still in combat. So you can't target the unit you are in combat with except for with pistols (since units in combat can't be targeted in general), you can't target characters, you can't target units you can't see, you can't target friendly units, and so on.

Thanks for the clarification on Music of the Apocalypse. Someone mentioned to me that if one dies from, say, a psychic power, it's the psychic phase and the rule protecting characters from shooting only applies to the shooting phase so he can take his death shot at any character in range and line of sight. It sounded strange so I thought I should ask about it :P

That's insane, the Champion can seriously take three guns and fire them all?

Yes he is very faboulus when he is doing that. =D

About shooting out of CC i would not say the rules prohibit from shooting out of cc. They just say you can only shoot at jnits within 1" with a pistol. It has not been 100% clarified yet. There has been a thread about this a looong time ago. =D

But i dont want to go off topic with that issue.

About loadout, i usually play a big blob of 10 for cacophony and put in 2 dudes with bolters as a bullet sponge.

About shooting out of CC i would not say the rules prohibit from shooting out of cc. They just say you can only shoot at jnits within 1" with a pistol. It has not been 100% clarified yet. There has been a thread about this a looong time ago. =D

But i dont want to go off topic with that issue.

The FAQ specifically talks about shooting out of combat with Music of the Appocalypse - its allowed.

You CAN in fact shoot out of combat into an enemy unit that is not in combat with Music of the Apocolypse. People are confused by shooting rules in 8th and add things that aren't there.

Music of the Apocolypse says that you can shoot with it even if you are within 1" of enemy units. The reason you can not use it to shoot pistols at an enemy not within 1" of the unit is the same reason you NORMALLY can shoot pistols while in combat. The special rules for pistols specify that they can be fired by a unit within 1" of an enemy unit, but only at the closest enemy unit. Other weapons have no such restriction.

Some people get confused and say that you can only use pistols with "music" if your unit is within 1" of an enemy unit because the rules for shooting state this and the rules for "music" only state you can shoot while within 1" to remind people they can use pistols.

Reality is:

1) Shooting rules say you can not use shooting weapons for a unit within 1" of an enemy unit. Period. There is no mention of pistols.

2a) Music of the Apocolypse states that you can use it to make a shooting attack even if your unit is within 1" of an enemy unit. This is a specific over-ride of the shooting rules.

2b ) Music of the Apocolypse (MotA) targets must be a valid target per normal shooting rules. This means you can not target an enemy unit that is within 1" of a friendly "model."

2 a+b ) with MotA, you can make a shooting attack with a model who's unit is within 1" of an enemy unit, but can not target a unit within 1" of a friendly model, including the one your unit is in combat with.

3) Pistols can be fired by a model who's unit is within 1" of an enemy unit but it MUST target the closest enemy unit. This is a property specific to pistols in the "Weapons Types" section.

In conclusion, you can use MotA to either:

A) Shoot a non-pistol weapon at a valid target. Enemy units within 1" of any friendly model are not valid targets.

Or,

B ) Shoot a pistol at a valid target. If the shooting model's unit is within 1" of an enemy unit, it MUST target the closest enemy unit, per pistol rules.

Yeah you can shoot OUT of combat just fine, just not INTO combats and since a unit you are in combat with is in a combat (d'uh) you can't shoot at it except for with pistols and have to select a different target if you want to use music of the apocolypse with your Sonic Blasters, Grenades, Bolter or whatever.

Sorry to add to the confusion but can you still throw grenades when Music of the Apocalypse triggers?

I haven't played against Noise Marines since the start of 8th, but when I did assault them my opponent triggered the rule and used 5 to throw Krak grenades at my Crisis suites in a different unit and annihilated them?

Is that still a thing?

Sorry to add to the confusion but can you still throw grenades when Music of the Apocalypse triggers?

I haven't played against Noise Marines since the start of 8th, but when I did assault them my opponent triggered the rule and used 5 to throw Krak grenades at my Crisis suites in a different unit and annihilated them?

Is that still a thing?

Yeah you can use Music of the Apocalypse to throw grenades. You just have to follow the usual shooting rules, so not at a unit that is in combat etc.

Is that still a thing?

Yeah you can use Music of the Apocalypse to throw grenades. You just have to follow the usual shooting rules, so not at a unit that is in combat etc.

Thanks 

In that instance, my opponent threw grenades with all his marines though, can every model throw a grenade?

Is that still a thing?

Thanks 

In that instance, my opponent threw grenades with all his marines though, can every model throw a grenade?

Every model that dies, yeah. Attacks get made one by one so models die one by one so it doesn't violate the rule of only one model per unit throwing a grenade at the same time.

And, for what it’s worth, if your NM get killed in a phase that is not the shooting phase, rules of the shooting phase itself don’t apply.

So yes, NM are hilarious chaos snipers if and ONLY if they die outside the shooting phase. If you get shot to bits, you are out of luck; but if you get stabbed or smited, you can target characters. Please warn your opponent of this before the game begins (don’t be That Guy).

Also, if you die in the fight phase, DTTFE can trigger off your gun.

I used to run 20 NM competitively, but post beta bolters, o switched out of them. They are still pretty fun.

I ran Noise Marines quite extensively and they really never failed me. I often run a single unit of 10 with a single blast master in the unit. 

I give the squad leader the doom siren and a combi bolter for ludicrous excessive shooting from a single model and stick them in a rhino. 

I have had them drown whole units in shooting with their base 32 shots up to 24, and 34 shots at within 12 (this includes the combi). And they are not to shabby in combat and get free shots after being killed (which they will....) in either shooting or melee.  This is also without strategem use which of course makes it a fair bit more in terms of damage. I have in fact used Noise Marines to destroy tanks with sonic weapons (Vets of The Long War helps!). 

Though I get now that they very much overlap with the new chainreapers for volume of fire and beta bolters have closed the gap a fair bit in terms of output I still think Noise Mairnes have their place, they are certainly not a bad unit by any stretch. Fragile with good damage output which will always be solid in an 8th environment. 

Sonic blaster does not take a slot. It an.implant in his throat or something like that. No hands required.

The sonic blaster is a rifle. The doom siren is what you're thinking of.

Agreed on the Sonic Blaster.

But I thought the Doom Siren was the speaker-like apparatuses on the backpack.

Sonic blaster does not take a slot. It an.implant in his throat or something like that. No hands required.

The sonic blaster is a rifle. The doom siren is what you're thinking of.

Agreed on the Sonic Blaster.

But I thought the Doom Siren was the speaker-like apparatuses on the backpack.

The Doom Siren is indeed the speaker things on the backpack from the Noise Marine upgrade kit:

99800102021_NoiseMarinesUpgradePackNEW01

The throat implant Machinentpriester is thinking of is the Sonic SHRIEKER, which is the gas-mask looking thing on the Kakophoni here:

99590102174_EmperorsChildrenLegionKakoph

And is also what those tubes on Eidolon's neck is:

99560102232_LordCommanderEidolon04.jpg

Archived