Status of Venus in M41/M42?

They probably wouldn't even have to terraform it, with technology that isn't even a huge stretch in the modern day zeppelin or blimp like crafts could be built to float on the super dense atmosphere at a level where the temperature is comfortable and solar power is abundant, and above the acid rain. I personally think this concept seems way more unique than another random terraformed world, with massive floating continents roaming between spires that connect to mines and harvesters on the surface.

They probably wouldn't even have to terraform it, with technology that isn't even a huge stretch in the modern day zeppelin or blimp like crafts could be built to float on the super dense atmosphere at a level where the temperature is comfortable and solar power is abundant, and above the acid rain. I personally think this concept seems way more unique than another random terraformed world, with massive floating continents roaming between spires that connect to mines and harvesters on the surface.

That's pretty much the homeworld of the Vespid just artificially created. :D

Mars' terraforming partially failed/regressed. No reason Venus' wouldn't either. The mines and harvesters on the surface could be there from the earlier, more functioning terraforming, while the upper-atmosphere hives were developed as the terraforming began to fail.

A different historic path to the same cool and flavorful result.

Yep same as what would be done on Jupiter & Saturn, would be easier to as far less gravity.

Anyone familiar with the old buck rogers PC games, countdown to doomsday etc, I want Venusian lowland Jungles populated with Abhumans & giant frogs!!

Edited by The God Empress Of Mankind

I'm thinking a 40k version of Cloud City.

Energy does not seem to be an issue in 40k, but if it was it could be turned into a massive refinery for asteroid mining and such.
Large installations floating on the dense atmosphere, with big tubes hanging down far into the atmosphere. These can supply heat to massive generators, and solar panels on the tops of the facilities can supply energy too if we wanna reduce the grimdark.
The atmosphere is essentially CO2, and with the energy available this means they have unlimited amounts of carbon and oxygen, so oxidizing and reducing agents for all manner of metallurgical processes. They don't even need to care about pollution. :tongue.:
They would need to import hydrogen though, so you could have some really disturbing Hive city-like recycling of water, waste and bodies.

Ship all the ore you want there for processing, they have unlimited amounts of energy.

This would also mesh well with what is already written about Venus, as it could qualify as an Industrial world.

Making Venus into a jungle world or something feels a bit boring, and also requires a retcon.

Edited by totgeboren

Don't forget that the Imperium doesn't need to have done any terraforming work of Venus - who knows what was done during the Dark Age of Technology? Perhaps there was a solar shield/mirror of some sort deployed to change the amount of light Venus receives...

It’s actually too hot, surface temperature is hotter than Mercury due to a combination of extreme acid rain and greenhouse effect caused by clouds.

As mentioned before, it’s an absolute hell hole. All probes sent there melted/ dissolved within hours

DM

Yeah human terraforming tech is pretty awesome in 40k but it's not Star Trek Genesis Device or Destiny Traveler levels of space magic...especially in the 30th Millennium.

totgeborn, I was thinking of that installation where you first okay as the Arbiter in Halo 2 (I think it was a gas mine in the atmosphere of the gas giant that the Halo 04 ring orbited in the first game)

Edited by Trevak Dal

Yeah human terraforming tech is pretty awesome in 40k but it's not Star Trek Genesis Device or Destiny Traveler levels of space magic...especially in the 30th Millennium.

totgeborn, I was thinking of that installation where you first okay as the Arbiter in Halo 2 (I think it was a gas mine in the atmosphere of the gas giant that the Halo 04 ring orbited in the first game)

Do you watch the expanse that has a cool sequence of what a floating installation on Venus would look like.

On the grounds that it's the case in almost every sci-fi where humanity has populated the solar system, I would guess that there are shipyards in proximity to Jupiter. So the phrase 'Jovian fleets' (which sounds quite cool) can be used.

Also am ultra secret research base on Titan, where something will accidentally be released/unleashed at some point. :)

Yep, Jupiter's hugely important in shipyard terms.

Heres a related question.... WHERE is titan?

If you look at the Sol system map (https://siegeofterra.com/) and look at Saturn you'll see it says FORMER POSITION OF TITAN

Edit - used the wrong word to whats on the map....

Didn’t Malcador hide it somehow? I’m pretty sure it’s still around Saturn somewhere, but cannot easily be accessed or seen. Though I might also be misremembering something here.

[snip]

It’s actually too hot, surface temperature is hotter than Mercury due to a combination of extreme acid rain and greenhouse effect caused by clouds.

As mentioned before, it’s an absolute hell hole. All probes sent there melted/ dissolved within hours

DM

Aye, which is why I suggested a solar mirror/shield to reduce the amount of incoming light Venus receives. Give it a few centuries, and maybe the surface temperature will have come down to something a bit more reasonable. Who knows what humanity was capable of in the DAoT? I'll wager they were able to look at the long view - they terraformed Mars at least once.

Edited to add: I know I said "change the amount of light" before, that was imprecise of me, sorry.

Edited by Brother Casman
Clarifications

Heres a related question.... WHERE is titan?

If you look at the Sol system map (https://siegeofterra.com/) and look at Saturn you'll see it says FORMER POSITION OF TITAN

Edit - used the wrong word to whats on the map....

Didn’t Malcador hide it somehow? I’m pretty sure it’s still around Saturn somewhere, but cannot easily be accessed or seen. Though I might also be misremembering something here.

Yes. Lore from Codex: Grey Knights - Malcador managed to hide Titan in the warp with the proto-GKs on board. It returned to real-space at some point after the Heresy with the fully fledged GK chapter (in time to be recorded as Chapter 666 in the 2nd Founding).

Thanks for the info Brother Casman, never heard of it till now. I get my HB copy of solar war at the end of the month, already have the second one pre-ordered on Amazon so I hope we will get 8 books based in Sol.

I want to know how they'll work in the massive trans neptunium object that some are predicting, if it's found while the SoT is being written :biggrin.:

On the other end of the solar system during it's extremely long orbit, non factor.

So, the map bothers me.  It looks to me that it implies that Horus is going to have fight through multiple orbital layers to get to Earth.  The planets very rarely line up like that.  It's why conjunctions are so interesting to watch.  If you look at where the planets are at in their orbit today (https://www.theplanetstoday.com/the_planets.html) you could basically make a straight run for Earth from the 10 o'clock position unopposed.  I know it's science fantasy and all but still.  Have black library give David Weber a call for some quick help in the story framework.

Indeed, the only logical reason for fortifying Pluto as the linchpin of the outermost circle of defence for the Solar System, that I can think of, is if the Mandeville Point (the usual entry to a star system for voidcraft translating from the Warp) is somehow tied to its orbit.

So, the map bothers me. It looks to me that it implies that Horus is going to have fight through multiple orbital layers to get to Earth. The planets very rarely line up like that. It's why conjunctions are so interesting to watch. If you look at where the planets are at in their orbit today (https://www.theplanetstoday.com/the_planets.html) you could basically make a straight run for Earth from the 10 o'clock position unopposed. I know it's science fantasy and all but still. Have black library give David Weber a call for some quick help in the story framework.

LG mentioned they plugged the date into a planetary position calculator to get the location of the planets on January 1st, 30,014.

Its no coincidence the planets are lined up like that when horus attacks ;)

Pluto and Uranus both have warp gates nearby allowing limited transit inside the system closer than the actual mandeville point which is why they are fortified but for example the major fleet bases on Saturn are out of the way of a direct thrust at Terra at the time.

Solar war has a lot of detail on the outer planets and Luna, nothing on Venus or Mercury though :(   

I want to know how they'll work in the massive trans neptunium object that some are predicting, if it's found while the SoT is being written :D

On the other end of the solar system during it's extremely long orbit, non factor.

If all you want to do is strike at earth, you can say the same about every else besides the moon. Fixed defenses mean nothing in space. It's more about what forces they have stationed there that can be sent to harass you. Not that I actually care, I just think it's funny that GW might have a new planet thrust into the solar system as they're writing and see how they adjust to it having been known about for all this time in the setting.

I want to know how they'll work in the massive trans neptunium object that some are predicting, if it's found while the SoT is being written :biggrin.:

If all you want to do is strike at earth, you can say the same about every else besides the moon. Fixed defenses mean nothing in space. It's more about what forces they have stationed there that can be sent to harass you. Not that I actually care, I just think it's funny that GW might have a new planet thrust into the solar system as they're writing and see how they adjust to it having been known about for all this time in the setting.

It's easy, they'll just say that it was used to make Planet Killers in the Men of Iron Wars.