Theorycrafting - Psychic Storm

Mind Bomb - Psychic Assault

Mortal wounds are key component of many armies - what happens if you max out guard mortal wound offensive potential in psychic phase?

3x 46pts Primaris Pysker (3 powers of your choice)

1x 26 pts Astropath.(Psychic Maelstrom - astropath casts powers without penalty)

164pts for mortal wound mayhem.

3x Smite

1x Pyschic Maelstrom (not limited to nearest model). Casting Power 7

NO negative to hit modifiers!!

Even 3rd smite has more chance of hitting that a guardsman and is considerably better once wounding and save are taken into account

On 2D6:

5+ 83%

6+ 72%

7+ 58%

Classic guard approach of cheap and lots of them as way to go.

Remember they can advance and cast so can be mobile too.

Downside - they die in a stiff breeze..........

In addition this is 4 denies per enemy phase.

SO... why don't we see more psykers

army5.jpeg

I think it’s probably because smite isn’t particularly great. Many armies do use lots of mortal wounds but in my experience they don’t rely on smite to do it. It’s too situational and easily screened against, most of the time you’ll be wasting your smites on large, regular units, against whom you’d probably be better off with 164 points of regular guardsmen.

You do raise a good point and it's also the basis of the malefic Lord spam we saw early in 8 th.

I found when I was running a psyker with my bullgryns I got more use out of smite from them than buffing the bullgryns.

I think its crazy enough to work. :tu:

Hey GuardDaddy,

I mean, how many smite-like psychic powers are available to Imperium players? Not just from the guard, but across the whole faction? Librarians and inquisitors come to mind, but I don't know what they have in their bag of tricks. It could be a psychic soup list, of sorts. Throw a Culexus in there for ultimate lulz, and baby, you've got a stew going.

Cheers,

~MinoanFresco

How about a second astropath with gaze of the emperor?

I have struggled to get this to have an impact, but that's probably my poor model positioning.

The times when I have had most success with this has been against Eldar (all flavours). They often turn one have a very aggressive move forward with something, normally a flyer. Sometimes its a plane, sometimes a transport. These are often not screened, relying instead on negative to hit modifiers. A big zap of smites has really helped with this.

Archived