Snoipin's A Good Job, M8.

Hello Brethren and Sister...en,

Tired of enemy super heavies and monster characters punching your army in the face?

STAHP!

So, the other day I was a-theory-crafting. And I happened upon this little interaction. Cadian or Vostroyan snipers + Old Grudges. Use Cadians for better rerolls to hit, Vostroyan for greater threat range. Take max Company Commanders, and Command Squads equipped with sniper rifles. Pick the greatest aforementioned threat to your army and slap Old Grudges on it. (It's time to settle this once and for all, giant robot...) If it has toughness 8 or higher, which it likely will, rejoice! You're wounding on 6's rerolling. With 12 Cadian snipers you're averaging 10-ish hits with Take Aim and 3-ish mortal wounds with all those rerolls.

And that's every single Shooting Phase. With Vostroyan snipers, yes, it's less, but you have longer range to plink, plink, plink away. Either way you go, if you get lucky that can be a nasty amount of mortal wounds.

On a related topic, enemy characters (like those pesky Chaos psykers) will be forced to pass several armor saves each turn with a combination of Take Aim and Bring It Down. A feat made possible by The Laurels of Command Heirloom.

And if taken with Master of command and Inspired Tactics, ('cause everyone uses those :P) suddenly that's the potential for four units of snipers (3 command, and 1 vet squad w/ 3 snipers) rerolling hits AND wounds of 1. Just piiiiiiiiiiiile on those wounds, guardsmen. Watch'em stack waayyyy up.

So, is this really worth the points in a competitive match up?

...um....... sure?

Well, you heard it here first, folks! Snoipah no snoipin' is the new meta to be had.

Happy hunting!

~MinoanFresco

Hooooooooooh, I've been wanting to make a sneaky snipey army since I got into the hobby, but Heretic and Adeptus Astartes just don't have it. Adeptus Astartes got a sniper recently in Shadowspear, but it's sorta meh. I refuse to play Tau or Necrons to get a ranged army, but that could work.

Sniper rifles are nice and cheap (good job too...), I'm not sure about stacking up on them - but it'd hardly break the bank even if the squads are easy to remove. It'd definitely be an amusing way to help take down something like a Knight :P

I use 3x sniper command squads in my competitive pure infantry army. They are very good at putting mortal wounds on things, which then allows me to play Overlapping Fields of Fire :smile.:

Hey Mordian Glory!

Also gives you a reason to convert some lovely sniper teams, eh?

I like the idea of Imperial sniper schools tracking down their quarry from theater to theater, war-zone to war-zone; like big game hunters in Africa, tracking game. Just a bit of home brew lore I cooked up fer y'all.

~MinoanFresco

Archived