New to 40k

Gaius Julius

I dabbled with Necrons over a decade ago but have recently been getting into the BA fluff and decided to get back into the game. I guess my first question is where should I start? What are good units to build from and more specifically the guy I'll play against most has started playing Mechanicus, so please keep that in mind. Thanks!

Well for the beginning your first goal is to get 2 HQ choices and 3 Troop choices so you can have a Battalion detachment for those sweet Command Points.

We have a "Unit of the week"-series going on that should help you a lot so I'll link those here instead of repeating what's been said there.

For Troops choices you have Tactical Marines, Scouts, Primaris Intercessors and Primaris Infiltrators (currently only from the Shadowspear box).

• Primaris Intercessors
  • Scouts
  • Tacticals. We didn't get around to those yet but while those are the classic Marines everybody knows and loves ... they are definitely the weakest choice currently. Only take them if you really really want them, not because of what they do for you on the table.
  • Primaris Infiltrators. Since they are new we haven't gotten around to those yet either, but there's lots of mixed opinions. Most think that while they are potentially good they are a few points too expensive and what makes them really better than Scouts is rather niche and not of much interest against many armies (against AdMech for example their 12" bubble won't do much)

For HQ choices there are PLENTY options.

After that it's really mostly up to taste. Pick what units you like instead of what units are strong unless you plan to play rather competetively. Read the units fluff, look at the models, think about conversions you could do, read the "Unit of the week" thread. Then decide.

Some people love Primaris, some people hate them. Some people like their tanks, others prefer their heavy weapons on infantry. Some go with Deathcompany for their melee needs, others with Sanguinary Guard, or Terminators, or Vanguard Veterans. Of course they all aren't equal but that shouldn't be the main concern as long as they aren't trash.

Also let me add that the Primaris Marines are GWs new line of Space Marines and it's likely that we'll only see new releases for those until all of the old stuff is gone in the future (who knows in how many years though). However if you don't mind some of the older models or eventually replacing those with some Primaris if we ever get to that point then there's nothing wrong with picking up non-Primaris units as well!

Last but not least let me link the overview for the "Unit of the week" threads so you can look up the units that interest you without having to use the search function (it's unfortunately not a sticky thread for some reason): Unit of the week database

The question that needs to be asked, are you wanting to be more competitive or more fluffy, or some where in between? 

With BA our pendulum can swing in either direction, and we have some outstanding mainstays in older kits that have no replacements in the Primaris range. Some of those being Death Company and Sanguinary Guard, and honorable mention would be our Dreadnoughts (both Furioso and DC Dread). 

I players I mostly play against tend to lean more toward the competitive side, but not quite full on net/tourny lists, so I am playing a modified version of Neonmole's list. It has served me well.

Archived