Old/OOP models better than their updates

Evil Eye

I'd second the mentions of the old death company. The plastics are decent models but they really do have a lot of bling. Good for a chaplain or a character or dliuted across a few models but my mental image of the DC is still simply black-painted armour and simple red saltires.

To be fair, you can take a squad of Assault Marines and a squad of Death Company to make 10 diluted Death Company, and it isn't even hard.

the Dark Vengeance Dark Apostle

I may be having a brain fart, but there wasn't a Dark Apostle in Dark Vengeance, only the Chaos Lord with the big cloak and sword, and a squad of Chosen. Do you mean the Chosen Champion that came with a power maul?

Edited by Leif Bearclaw

I dunno, the special edition I got back in the day had a DA Chaplain, not a Chaos Marine.

That said, I would actually agree that the DV Maul Champion makes a better Apostle than either of the produced Apostle minis.

Edited by Leif Bearclaw

The current Apostle is nasty, looks like the books a toastie maker leaking cheese. The previous one was far better. 

The old Blood Angels Captain above is another mini that still looks good even now, may be a bit small but still a timeless classic. As was the Dark Angel and Space Wolf Captains from the same era. The 'Gigeresque' Chaos Dreadnought from 1st ed looks much better than the Helbrute, and I think the RTB01 kit is better than the Primaris stuff, but thats more down to aesthetics than actual detail of sculpt.

Some of the RoC era Marines imho are better than the Chaos stuff, they looked chaotic, not just spiky boys, like the Tzeentch renegade with fungus body, most of the Plague Marines and a fair few of the Slaaneshi sculpts. 

I dunno, the special edition I got back in the day had a DA Chaplain, not a Chaos Marine.

That said, I would actually agree that the DV Maul Champion makes a better Apostle than either of the produced Apostle minis.

Hmmm, I wonder what I'm thinking of then. Oh well, not a big issue.

Hmmm, I wonder what I'm thinking of then. Oh well, not a big issue.

I think the 7th ed reissue of the Dark Vengeance box came with the aspiring champion previously released as a clampack (the one that was also released with a few cultists in a box). Maybe you're thinking about that?

the Dark Vengeance Dark Apostle

I may be having a brain fart, but there wasn't a Dark Apostle in Dark Vengeance, only the Chaos Lord with the big cloak and sword, and a squad of Chosen. Do you mean the Chosen Champion that came with a power maul?

Yeah. I could have sworn he is a Dark Apostle but I just looked in the Crimson Slaughter Codex and he is just listed as a champion. It is still possible that fluff wise he did fulfill that roll but I don't care enough to reread it.

The metal Power Armour Chaplains which made it to finecast (*spits*) were all better than any of the current plastic Chaplains. Better skull masks and less covered in robes/scrolls/stuff. Some of the new ones have cool design elements, but as a whole don't really really work for me.

Old:
99800101069_ChaplainSkullHelmetNEW01_50099800101072_ChaplainCroziusPowerFistNEW0metal-models-space-marine-chaplain-with-99800101004_ChaplainJumpPackNEW01.jpg?14
99800101006_TerminatorChaplainNEW01.jpg

New
http://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/500185.3.jpgLimited-Edition-Space-Marine-Terminator-games-workshop-warhammer-40k-space-marin

The Primaris one doesn't even have a proper Crozius!

Ksarkin are better than scions IMHO.

Yep, the previous spec-ops-ish ones too. Really liked their masks and the way they had loads of gar hanging off them

m1251710.jpg

Those Chaplains are alright but I really dislike how the Crozius each one of them carries is so thick they can't even hold them properly. That old Terminator Chaplain is gorgeous. I have one of them on my computer desk here now. Great sculpt.

I like the old Terminator Chaplain and Jump Pack Chaplain but the rest are a no-go for me and I really don't mind the Primaris one. Would be nice if he had a proper Crozius but eh there are worse things out there. An easy fix if you really care about it.

The newer Terminator Chaplain is one of the models where GW admitted that they overdid it with bling and one of the reasons why Primaris are starting out so clean looking so they can add bling to characters without them looking like this guy. ^^