Tribute to the "Old Marine"

It's 999.M41.

You just survived long enough to graduate scout training and be selected by a Reserve Company.

Abaddon the Despoiler's legions have broken through the Eye.

Your Chapter answers the call to stand against the archenemy.

Cadia still stands, its defenders readied.

There's not a Primaris in sight.

Life is good.

+++

I knew this would happen sooner, rather than later. I went out on an impulse and picked up the first two series of the glorious SM Heroes sets at the end of last year. From the moment I saw them I knew I had to have them. They embodied everything about the Imperial Space Marine I fell in love with as a kid. Maintaining the classic clean aesthetic, better overall scaling and solid poses. I knew they would be integral to a new project and now seems as good a time as ever to kick that off.

So, where does that leave me now?

I'm devoutly planted in the 30k/Horus Heresy side of the camp. It's just what speaks to me and where I like to spend the majority of my hobby time and effort. We all have our reasons. I usually get deeply involved in the lore side of things. Narrative driven armies and conversions are my jam. I often create mockups of characters and elite showcase units that never see the light of day. I move at a snail's pace. I enjoy it, but it's also not the most productive or fulfilling use of precious hobby time. I'm craving a change of pace. I want to get back to the basics of army building. I want to practice my painting techniques and speed up my completion rate. Model ideas sprout and poses come together naturally. Parts get glued together faster. Paint hits a model within days or weeks, not months or years. These are the tenets of this new project. Exactly which Chapter this army hails from and how many points this will grow to will be decided in the coming weeks.

This will be a venture back into the universe of the 41st Millennium, before the current studio timeline. This is my homage (and farewell tour) to the classic Space Marine strike forces of old. Grab your nostalgia and join me on the ride ahead.

+++

Beginnings of a humble tactical squad:

gallery_25301_10678_256546.jpg

Closer look at the squad's sergeant:

gallery_25301_10678_16483.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know your thoughts!

Even though you might normally move slow with your work, it's always worth the wait, brother.

Thanks, dude. Means a lot coming from a talent of your caliber.

don't forget to shave off that hand under the plasma gun, you probably will need some green stuffing too there.

Keen eyes. I've decided to swap it out for a meltagun since then!

Funny, eventhough I don't really hate the Primaris models, I now look fondly at the normal marines models. Anyways, loving what you have so far!

Appreciate it! You know, I honestly feel like I'm in the same boat. I've actually grown to like the Primaris range since their initial release. In my opinion they just happen to lack some unit options and flexibility at the moment. I've got a small army's worth in boxes and waiting for the right time.

•  

I'm posting these now in this "mockup" stage to get feedback on poses and overall look. Nothing is glued just yet, which is my usual process for every model I make. I've always been the type to try ten different poses and swap all the bits before I get it "right" with the concepts in my head.

Comments most welcome!

I'm not the only one, eh? The care definitely shows. 

The new batch looks great, especially the two in the middle.

I really dig the models you're putting together. I especially like the sergeant. He has the aristocratic bearing of the Emperor's Children. 

One of the details that really stands out to me (on many of the models) is the positioning of the wrist to give the weapon hand a more natural pose of holding the weapon at the ready.

Are you adding spacers to just the thighs and shins? It looks like, on some of the models, you're adding extra height between the belt and groin. Is that spacing done with some sort of putty?

Please keep us updated on the progress of these models.

Looks excellent man! Big fan of the second from the right!

Thanks, Vazzy! He might be favorite of the bunch, too. :D

I'm posting these now in this "mockup" stage to get feedback on poses and overall look. Nothing is glued just yet, which is my usual process for every model I make. I've always been the type to try ten different poses and swap all the bits before I get it "right" with the concepts in my head.

Comments most welcome!

The new batch looks great, especially the two in the middle.

Thanks, bro. It's both a gift and curse, huh? Lol

One of my main goals with this project is letting go of the more OCD tendencies I have when making models. Trying my best to stick to weekly goals. If it isn't perfect, move on. Maybe come back to it for some tweaks, but don't spend too much time trying to make it mistake-free.

Oh this is hot sauce! These are fantastic marines you are creating tyrannicide. They all look great scaled up and that sergeant is jaw dropping!

Thanks, man! Hopefully the next tactical sergeant can evoke the same feelings.

Dang it, I love em!

Thank you, Leviathus!

I really dig the models you're putting together. I especially like the sergeant. He has the aristocratic bearing of the Emperor's Children.

One of the details that really stands out to me (on many of the models) is the positioning of the wrist to give the weapon hand a more natural pose of holding the weapon at the ready.

Are you adding spacers to just the thighs and shins? It looks like, on some of the models, you're adding extra height between the belt and groin. Is that spacing done with some sort of putty?

Please keep us updated on the progress of these models.

Hey there, appreciate the praise! I basically haven't made a Space Marine without inserts for like 5 years now. It's that point of no return. Once you taste that forbidden fruit you won't want to ever turn back. As far as the process goes, it's kind of on an as-needed basis here. The SM Heroes have had about 1.5mm of plasticard added to their shins. The normal grey plastic legs are getting inserts in the thighs and shins to boost their stature, and the DW legs are getting inserts in the thighs only. The putty like material is just sticky tack/mounting putty. I use it to get a good idea of what the end goal is when I'm doing the mockup stage of a model. It will be replaced by glue and in the areas needed, green stuff work will be coming. The join between the waist and legs will get a small half-dome of greenstuff to lengthen the area slightly and increase height. Then pouches and grenades will be added to help "hide" that join. It will roughly be another 1-1.5mm in added height. Let me know if you've got any other questions!

+++

Quick update before I wrap up the weekend. Here is another batch of three that I put together quickly today.

gallery_25301_10678_19818.jpg

Thanks for checking it out! I'm hoping for some exciting updates in the coming weeks!

Thanks, bro. It's both a gift and curse, huh? Lol

One of my main goals with this project is letting go of the more OCD tendencies I have when making models. Trying my best to stick to weekly goals. If it isn't perfect, move on. Maybe come back to it for some tweaks, but don't spend too much time trying to make it mistake-free.

A curse more than a gift for me, it seems and I wish you luck trying to tone down the perfectionism and hit weekly goals. Here's some footage of me in the early stages of assembling my Orlocks while trying to resist the temptation of doing extensive, complicated conversions of every figure and just assemble the damn things. 

x9dKUIy.gif

Archived