What to read next

DadJokes

For Dark Angels in the Horus Heresy you've got really three sorta four novels. The first two you read back to back and they are Descent of Angels and then Fallen Angels. After those two you can read Angels of Caliban, which have a lot of DA in them but also a bit of Guiliman/Ultramarines and Sanguinius/Blood Angels too. Ruinstorm has all three legions and their respective primarchs in them. All of the novels mentioned I'd consider good. Descent of Angels starts off slow and can drag a little but overall it picks up and ends well.

Outside of our legion & primarch, other Horus Heresy novels that I found were definitely worth reading are Know No Fear, Scars, Path of Heaven, Deliverance Lost, and Fear to Tread.

Black Library is what originally got me into the hobby and I've read probably 70% of all the Horus Heresy novels, short stories, etc. If you have access to Apple iBooks, or the Android equivalent there are some excellent Dark Angel Horus Heresy short stories such as Savage Weapons, Dreadwing, By The Lion's Command, and The Lion.

Its not Horus Heresy, but I strongly recommend the short story Reparation. It is a very good Dark Angels short story. ;)

Lastly this is of course my opinion but I'd steer clear of that recent 40k War of Secrets novel that dealt with the Dark Angels and their new Primaris. I thought it was utter crap and presents a very strange view of the primaris marines where other novels such as Devastation of Baal showed them much differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't there one told from Leman Russ' point of view, about the events leading up to and including his dustup with Lion El'Jonson?

That would be the Leman Russ Novel in the Primarch Series.

And yes, that should be added to the reading list for any Dark Angel. Tho your Legion doesn't get the main focus, it is portrayed very well and their modus operandi is very evocative.

Also the Lion is very, very well written, as many others have stated elsewhere.

On top of that you get the scene where Russ and the Lion meet on Terra after the Siege - and you get to see how they both deal with the situation. Magnificent.

Archived