Help with the lore behind "The Dead Man's Hand"

Tycho's Dead Man's Hand was only around during the tenure of the WH40K 5th edition Codex: Blood Angels. In 2nd edition (Codex: Angels of Death) and 3rd edition (Codex: Blood Angels) he had digital weapons. When the 4th edition "codex" (first released as a series of two White Dwarf articles and later released as a single .pdf), he didn't have the digital weapons. No lore for the Dead Man's Hand was given - it was just the following rules:

The Dead Man's Hand: Tycho's close combat attacks ignore armour saves and roll an additional D6 for armour penetration. The Dead Man's Hand also includes a set of digital weapons, allowing Tycho to re-roll a single failed roll to wound in each Assault phase.

The Dead Man's Hand disappeared when the 7th edition Codex: Blood Angels was released, reverting to digital weapons.

Note that I've only researched the codices, so there may be more/other information in other sources.

In the short story Word of the Silent King...

Dante, Tycho, and one other (can't recall his name) go to meet the Necrons' Silent King (who is pretty much The Emperor of the Necrons, both in stature and inaccessibility) and they have dead-man-switchs in their gauntlets that will release Exterminatus x 100 on the planet where the meeting takes place (because to off a being of the Silent King's status is worth any price). I don't remember the exact phrasing, but there's a line about Tycho's hand holding the dead-man-switch. Don't know if that's supposed to somehow represent what Tycho's ability is about or if it was just a clever and/or misguided extrapolation to a previous blurb about him.

...not quite what you are looking for, but I post it to add credence to the idea that perhaps there's not as much to the idea as originally thought.

As per BT, it did't exist before the 5th ed BA codex where Mat Ward came up with the name to justify giving Tycho a power weapon despite none appearing on the model, something people had been asking for for a long time. 

Say what you like about Mat Ward, he wrote solid, fun, largely balanced rules. 

In seeding edition digital weapons were a type of relic I guess, that were essentially rings (hence digit...digital) that would shoot lasers. From my understanding tycho was crafted into being as one of the BA creators and players chose him as a Ames captain. He was based on a captain with a combi melta and then , if you look closely on the globe, you can see the holes on the knuckles, I believe. The same may be the case for Tychos model as that gear combo became known as captain tycho.

This is literally decades of hearsay, so tell if I'm wrong about any of this.

A great picture of digiweapons is in the Space Crusade board game. They have a card that shows it nicely. Try and get some kind member to grab a screen shot of that

He was based on the old ba captain with a bolter. Used in a white dwarf battle report where he got his head popped by a wierdboy (brain bursta if i recall) and thus was born the legend as they had a little flavour text at the end saying how he actually survived.

Digital weapons were a wargear card in 2nd ed, and detailed in the wargear book. They are also on an inquisitor in terminator armour from early 2nd edition and the terminator captain with an aux grenade launcher on the back of his power fist (because there was no such thing as too many guns in 2nd ed!). I'll try and source some pictures in an hour or so when im back with my books.

Characters could have up to 3 wargear cards and you could only use each card once unless you had multiples of it. Special characters had set wargear.

Basic weapons werent wargear cards (ie plasma pistol/power fist or chainsword) but things like bionic eye/arm/leg, jump pack or master-crafted plasma pistol were. All wargear had set points for it. My old favourites included a techpriest with graviton gun, jump pack and bionic eye or the long lamented virus grenade or vortex grenade...

Couldnt find the puc i was thinking of, now windering if it was from original space hulk or deathwing but i did find this little gem. And beside it the origunal reason i started playing blood angels... (mod change linky please as im on mobile)

gallery_19254_10628_180267.jpeg

He was based on the old ba captain with a bolter. Used in a white dwarf battle report where he got his head popped by a wierdboy (brain bursta if i recall) and thus was born the legend as they had a little flavour text at the end saying how he actually survived.

I'll take any excuse to post this guy :biggrin.: I miss the old wargear stuff sometimes, might have to find the old book and have a flick through again.

med_gallery_27469_12034_984914.jpg

Archived