Furioso Dreadnought

I won't tell you "not" to do that, but I will tell you the furioso dread is in a bad place right now, with pods being both too expensive and also not letting you fire frag cannon/heavy flamers when you get out of them, it's only T7, 3+, and 8 wounds (despite being our venerable equivalent previously) which means running it into range is problematic, and if you decide to skip the frag cannon and go with double fists, a DC dread just does it better for just a few points more, which nets you an extra attack on the charge, a 6+++ save, and a 6" consolidation move over the furioso.

If you were dead set on running one however, I'd recommend running a frag cannon/fist w/heavy flamer, in the back of a stormraven.

Right now the Furioso just feels inferior to the other two unique dreadnoughts. The Librarian Dreadnought is far more durable as it is a character (therefore protected from long-range fire) and can give itself an invulnerable save. It is also much more mobile thanks to the easily cast Wings of Sanguinius. It is better offensively due to it hitting on 2s instead of 3s, and can make up for having one fewer attack through Red Rampage and the Quickening, and the Furioso Halberd is superior to the Furioso Fist. Also can lay down the psychic pain through smite. All in all just vastly superior.

The Death Company Dreadnought meanwhile just has more attacks and is faster, as well as being tougher thanks to the Black Rage. It can also take Blood Talons which are more reliable when taking on hordes. The DC Dread can't take a frag cannon but it can take twin heavy flamers, which can do fine against most infantry for fewer points.

Overall I'd say the Furioso Dreadnought can't take on big targets like the Librarian Dreadnought and it can't take on hordes like the DC Dread. It is also less mobile than either option. There's just no reason to take it over the other two.

Well both the DC and furioso dreads have M8” and IMO talons does not make any of them suited to handle hordes.

If any of them should move near hordes the furioso with frag cannon, heavy flamer and 4 attacks does just as well, if not slightly better.

If I was to run fragiosos it would be 3 or none om foot.

Well both the DC and furioso dreads have M8” and IMO talons does not make any of them suited to handle hordes.

If any of them should move near hordes the furioso with frag cannon, heavy flamer and 4 attacks does just as well, if not slightly better.

I would have to disagree about the Blood Talons. When you consider that the DC Dread, like Furioso, hits on 3s, getting rerolls to ensure every bit lands is imperative. The Blood Talons reroll to hit and wound, ensuring maximum value for each attack. Also the DC Dread is faster - it consolidates 6 inches instead of 3. The Fragioso was excellent last edition but struggles to be relevant in 8th.

I have tried a few times recently to take my dreads but the only reliable way to get them into combat seems to be dropping them from a Storm Raven. Any that try to footslog it seems to get a priority target attached to them and shot off the board very quickly.

I have tried a few times recently to take my dreads but the only reliable way to get them into combat seems to be dropping them from a Storm Raven. Any that try to footslog it seems to get a priority target attached to them and shot off the board very quickly.

Dreadnought drop pod is a second option. Give the Dread a magna grapple, declare a multi charge, but focus on a vehicle since it gives you +3" and you can consolidate an additional 6 with DC dread to be able to fight again, or multi lock shooty units.

With the furious the frag cannon + heavy flamer needs a bird. You can set the bird up at your deployment zone edge and try to get that sweet free 3" movement followed by his solid 8" movement over a juicy target and unload those auto hits. My only complaint is they should've given the furioso a second weapon profile like they did for death watch.

Paired fist and paired talons are both good. Re-rolling to hit is more important since we have access to cheap lieutenants that can pretty much guarantee wounding.

A centerpiece model that was gutted for 8th for no reason. Raven delivery is ok but pound for pound you are better off with vanilla dreds. Makes me mad and sad looking at my pair of furiosos. I will bide my time. One day a furious return of my robots from heaven!

I would have to disagree about the Blood Talons. When you consider that the DC Dread, like Furioso, hits on 3s, getting rerolls to ensure every bit lands is imperative. The Blood Talons reroll to hit and wound, ensuring maximum value for each attack. Also the DC Dread is faster - it consolidates 6 inches instead of 3. The Fragioso was excellent last edition but struggles to be relevant in 8th.

My point is none of them are really good vs hordes.

If they are charged by a mob of boyz the difference between talons and a single fist is roughly 2 kills (4 vs2) so neither dread is getting out of that combat any time soon.

So I would disagree that talons makes a dread more reliable vs a horde in a meaningfull way.

And if I was for, for some strage reason, to use DC dreads or furiosos for anti-horde, then I would prefer fragiosos. (Note I am not claiming the furioso is good in any way, I’m just arguing for the spesific case of DC vs furioso as anti-horde)

And that's why my combat dreads run double heavy flamers, to help prevent getting bogged down by infantry.

It still happens sometimes, but it turns a dread that would be stuck in combat for the rest of the game into something that might just kill the squad fast enough to do something else after.

But the dreads are running straight towards vehicles or important characters, because they turn those to scrap metal/jelly in short order if they make it into combat.

Double heavy flamer barely help you against hordes though. It's on average ~4 damage. 8 if you shoot once in the shooting phase and once in overwatch. Against a unit of 30 where you just kill 4 each turn once you are in melee that still means your Dread is in combat for the rest of the game against that one horde unit unless it gets killed first or gets help from a second unit.

It works better if the opponent is bad at positioning so you can fall back and keep doing damage in overwatch (especially when other units use this opportunity to shoot at the horde unti as well) but one shouldn't rely on bad opponents.

Archived