Reasons to use Crimson Slaughter rules?

I switched over to playing CSM after grabbing a a copy of the first Crimson Slaughter supplement on clearence and thinking i really liked the DV models. I've played since then through the ups and downs of Crimson Slaughter, but always found a way to make it fun and worth playing. 8th came out and I was not big on the Renegade rules in the Codex and so had been using Night Lord's rules to imitate 6th & 7th Crimson Slaughter. Terror Tactics represented the army wide fear rule CS had. In Midnight Clad represented the rule Kranon's Helguard had that made them harder to hit. Curse of the Night Haunter worked as a precognitive aspect that a few CS dettachments and rules gave.

When the rules for CS were announced I was excited, but I just can't seem to find a reason to use them in place of Night Lords. The trait makes them immune to morale on a turn they kill an enemy unit and generate 1CP on a 5+ under the same conditions. This sounds ok, not as good as other Renegades but ok, until you consider that if an enemy unit dies to morale, you don't get any of these benefits and with new Big Faq rules, you can only gain 1CP per turn. Further, the CS Warlord Trait is a penalty to enemy Ld, which makes it counter productive to the Warband Trait. The relic is decent, though not outstanding, as is the stratagem. All things considered, they aren't bad, just not as good as most, or maybe any, other options.

I suppose Night Lord's aren't all that much better, though they do get access to Veterans of the Long War and their strat is cheaper. Is there some way to use them that really makes them worth it that I can't see? I've considered using them in one detachment with Night Lords in an other but that takes away from the number of dettachments I can have and localy 1000pt games are generally what's played. This would mean no Knights or Daemons for allies.

This last part is just a bit of a gripe, but it seems like they are definitely the worst of the Renegades and given they can't use VotLW to make up for it, it seems like they are easily the worst <LEGION>.

Edited by Doom Herald