Car/speed obsessed warband?

Blood Angels rebels? All those marines specialized in driving souped up vehicles and suddenly there are primaris marines that doesn't need their transport services! Bitter they look jealously towards the primaris transport drivers and decide to go where their services are needed...

Yeah warbands are a gang of like-minded hooligans out for a good time. Real "the gangsta, the killa, and the dope deala" type stuff.

Edit: back in the Matt Ward Blood angels days, I came real close to making a Blood Angels army centered around deep striking land raiders that would be painted up like the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard, but with Aquilas instead of stars.

I am both poor at free handing, and squicked by vampires so that didn't happen.

Edited by Trevak Dal

Thanks for the replies guys. Slaanesh seems a cool fit for a speed obsessed warband for sure. Just to be a pain though, I wasn’t really looking for bikes as such as a theme, I was looking for more of a car theme?? So possibly suped up rhinos and land raiders?

I'd say all warbands are fair game for an obsession with car tuning, as long as they're not plague marines. Nurgle embodies entropy, something I do not associate with people I'd expect to line up their slaves against the wall if they as much as saw a single spot of rust on their baby.

The question becomes instead who does the car tuning in the warband. The Imperium rarely understands how its technology works, and what little understanding they do possess is buried beneath millennia of religious mysticism. The Dark Mechanicum rounded that square by forcing daemons to handle all the minute details that make their things work, but I believe regular chaos space marines don't have a much better understanding of their gear than regular loyalists do. Possibly even less, since the warp sometimes means they never have to worry about keeping their belongings in shape.

If you want anyone in the warband to be able to finetune the armory, the canon big name lineages are Iron Warriors, Iron Hands and Salamanders. Perhaps Blood Angels as well, if Matt Ward's 'their techmarines are the cream of the crop of the cream of the crop' from their 5th Edition codex is still canon. Otherwise, the warpsmiths of the warband are going to be a seriously beleaguered, overworked bunch.

edit: the Aurora Chapter is a good source for vehicle-obsessed renegades as well. They're known for their ridiculously oversized armory: three times as many Land Raiders and Predators as a typical chapter. That's owed to a homeworld that can put small forge worlds to shame however, so renegades wouldn't have the same output. This could be used as an opportunity to give them a goal, for example raiding poorly-defended forge worlds in order to build as many tanks as possible before they have to leave when the counter-attack closes in. The chapter also is noted to have a bitter feud with the Knights of the Raven, which can fuel more goals or even some reasons for turning away from the Imperium.

Edited by Knight of the Raven

In my mind, the biggest hurdle to this isn't finding the right group to be speed freaks/demons (as discussed by everyone above, there are many possible choices), but rather that none of the space marine non-demon vehicles look particularly fast.  Really, the only non-demon vehicles we have are the landraider and the various rhino chassis vehicles (the rhino, predator and vindicator) and none of those look (or are) particularly quick - or look anything like cars.

So, if you were to do a car-obsessed theme, I think it would require considerable scratch-building (or at minimum drastic conversions) to sell it.  Otherwise, you just have rhino's with racing stripes, which doesn't really sell the concept.