Flyer advice for my army ...

Helias_Tancred

I have a lot of jump pack units in my Blood Angels army. I have one flyer currently, a Stormraven (TL multi-melta, TL assault cannon, hurricane bolters, stormstrike missiles).

I'm looking to get one more flier. Which one would be more useful? The Stormtalon Gunship or the Stormhawk Interceptor?

For the record I'm more of a casual/fluff player, not a competitive (tournament) player. I generally play against Dark Eldar, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Khorne Daemons, Khorne Berzerker CSM,  Black Legion, Nurgle Daemons, and Death Guard.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure someone else would have posted them soon enough :)

If FW is open to you, there's always the Xiphon (no article yet) for tank busting.

It's also worth considering going down the Flyer Wing route - Stormraven and two little Flyers should at least be interesting to play.

Thanks for the compliment but I'm sure someone else would have posted them soon enough :)

If FW is open to you, there's always the Xiphon (no article yet) for tank busting.

It's also worth considering going down the Flyer Wing route - Stormraven and two little Flyers should at least be interesting to play.

I really like the xiphon as mentioned before, it brings so much to the table!

Honestly, if I have to choose I'm going to take a Fire Raptor or Storm Eagle over a storm raven first. I've been looking at taking cheaper Storm Ravens also. If I want the extra lascannons I'll take a Storm Eagle because it has the ability to take 4 lascannons and 2D6 S5 Ap -1 D1 weapons over an overcosted storm raven. The twin las cannon + MM with Hurricane bolters is on par points wise.

For the Storm Raven I've been looking at the plasma cannon since it is so cheap. It isn't as powerful but that huge reduction in cost and the ability to have 2d3 shots seems better than two las cannon shots. followed closely by the ability to still take either a MM or Heavy bolter, or if you want to get ballsy take the typhoon missile launcher. Until they greatly reduce the cost of the Storm Raven or bump it up to T8 you want it cheaper and not loaded for bear.

I'm a friend of the Stormraven, but it's very expensive this edition - way over 300 points. It's very versatile, yes, but that's the equivalent of 3 heavy slots for a brigade.

Magnetizing a Stormhawk to outfit both kits could be a good idea. The firepower of the SH is quite impressive and in theory should be enough to severly damage flying units of both infantry and medium vehicles.

The Stormtalon I'm not too fond of myself because it's looks a bit weird, but rules-wise it's decent enough - and yet more expensive than the Stormhawk, so another reason to take it over the Talon. Depending on your friendly shop-owner, you can get two kits for around 60 €.

That's obviously non-FW options. I still find flyers to be not perfectly integrated into "regular" 40k games; they feel awkward. That said, their advantages on the battlefield are undeniable.

Snorri

• 3 weeks later...

I've run two Stormhawks almost every time I run my Blood Angels since I bought the models (sometimes with the Stormraven too if I want to go full aerial theme).

They're great units and very versatile with the loadout options. If you know you're facing an army that will likely have a lot of FLY units (Aeldari for example), you kit them out with Icarus/Skyhammer and they utterly annihilate whatever they shoot at. If you're bringing a more TAC list, swap out the Skyhammer missiles for the Heavy Bolters and you've basically got a flying Baal Predator with an extra gun that's more cost efficient gets a load of benefits at the cost of 1 wound and the inability to hold objectives.

I am a bit of a fan of Storm Talons. The +1 to Hit against ground targets compensates for moving and firing most of the time. Twin Assault Cannons and Typhoon launcher is fantastic for chaff clearing and poses a serious risk to anything up to T7. Alternatively, take the Skyhammer for an even cheaper loadout and some punch against Flying targets too.

From a pure cost POV though, the Stormhawk is hard to argue against. I am not sure why the Storm Talon costs an extra 25 points when the Stormhawk is +1T and can reroll saves of a 1.

Update:

I now have a Stormhawk Interceptor built and base-coated. Icarus stormcannon in the nose.

I now have a second Stormraven as well, built as Captain Karlaen's was in the Sons of Sanguinius painting book (plasma cannons in the turret, heavy bolters in the nose ... I added hurricane bolters on the sides, too good to pass up).

Archived