Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Guest Triszin

Remember that time we were getting Primaris Telion?

Just saying, don't get your hopes (or fears) up over a new Tigurius.

Yeah, and he was actually designed as Telion before GW decided to make him a generic character.

We don't need ANOTHER generic Librarian.

Speaking as a Blood Ravens player, I respectfully disagree. :tongue.:

Yeah, and he was actually designed as Telion before GW decided to make him a generic character.

I've never heard that before and I'm not sure I believe it. Not that it matters. It doesn't change what I said, which is that people expcted Primaris Telion and it wasn't Primaris Telion. Now people are getting their panties in a twist (more so in other threads than this one) over Primaris Tigurius when all we have is a blurry shape.

I’d also say we don’t need another Primaris LT, yet here we are.

Honestly it’s like Primaris designers are trying to have the HQ slot outnumber every other slot combined.

I'm sure someone said that. I don't recall who. I think it was an individual from GW.

If you look at the model he has a lot of direct call backs to Telion so I can believe it. Literally the same face, cape, etc.

Yeah, he is similar., whether he was intended to be Telion or not. They've been on a bit of a bald head + beard kick over the last few years so another Marine with that combo isn't surprising.

They should have just built a Command sprue multi kit and have been done with it. Instead GW has poured resources into a few repeat HQ models that, for the majority, are surplus to requirements.

Sure there are some folk who'll buy every model GW puts out, but most people collect an army and might need say 2 Lieutenant models at the most so that's all they buy.

The resources spent designing and producing 12+ Lieutenants and a new Captain every time you want a different weapon could have been so better spent. Necrons are crying out for new Destroyers, Warriors and some new units, have few choices for HQ etc.

It's just over saturation and the fatigue has reached a point in me (likely other people) that I'm just not interested in new 40K releases for Marines any more.

We don't need another ultramarines character even less. If it's a gravis librarian thatd be great, if it's just a generic staff option ill be less interested.

Please, just stop with the anti Ultras bias.

Yes, we absolutely do need a Primaris Tigurius, he is an iconic character. Just as we need Primaris version of characters from other chapters.

An Ultramarines character is not taking anything away from other chapters.

I want everyone to have a wealth of options. Complaining about another chapter indicates you want them to be poor.

Really? Where was that announced?

Really glad they didn't make him chapter locked. As far as a generic librarian...what if it's a new chief librarian unit that gives everyone a Tiggy like equivalent?

We don't need another ultramarines character even less. If it's a gravis librarian thatd be great, if it's just a generic staff option ill be less interested.

Please, just stop with the anti Ultras bias.

Yes, we absolutely do need a Primaris Tigurius, he is an iconic character. Just as we need Primaris version of characters from other chapters.

An Ultramarines character is not taking anything away from other chapters.

I want everyone to have a wealth of options. Complaining about another chapter indicates you want them to be poor.

I want them to be on equal footing and this idea that denying a Primaris upgrade to a special chapter locked character is somehow making Ultras poor sounds childish and ridiculous. I'm attacking the argument here, not you personally because I have come to expect better from you.

I'm not denying anything at all. I'm arguing for exactly the opposite. I want everyone to get releases and upgrades, I've never once said I don't want to see any more BA, SW or DA units - and they have a lot more than the Ultras.

One way for chapters to be distinct is to have unique units and characters.

They should have just built a Command sprue multi kit and have been done with it. Instead GW has poured resources into a few repeat HQ models that, for the majority, are surplus to requirements.

Sure there are some folk who'll buy every model GW puts out, but most people collect an army and might need say 2 Lieutenant models at the most so that's all they buy.

The resources spent designing and producing 12+ Lieutenants and a new Captain every time you want a different weapon could have been so better spent. Necrons are crying out for new Destroyers, Warriors and some new units, have few choices for HQ etc.

It's just over saturation and the fatigue has reached a point in me (likely other people) that I'm just not interested in new 40K releases for Marines any more.

This! Absolutely this! Just think what other things we could’ve had instead of all these different captains and Lts. Each one takes up the same sprue space as the Imperial Fists upgrade kit. Think how many chapters could’ve had an upgrade kit by now instead of several versions of the same HQ. And that’s just for marines, think what other factions could’ve had.

Every character they make is a more generic and useful unit that they haven’t made. It’s time to focus on stuff besides characters.

Ish, you need to look up the definition of "need" . The guys with the most characters don't need a rerelease of a character while most of the other chapters have 1 character. Let them catch up so they all have their chapter command and then primaritise more ultras.

Ultramarines getting 2 out of 3 named characters this year absolutely takes away from another chapter to have gotten them. Because I hate to break it to you, but only so many things get released at once. After that, we get to wait another two years for the next main release. I don't ultramarines to be poor, I want there to be parity; they're already far ahead of any other codex chapter.

Some fallacious arguments here.

The resources spent designing and producing 12+ Lieutenants and a new Captain every time you want a different weapon could have been so better spent. 

I'd say that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Almost all of the lieutenants have only come with weapons that they either had access to in the DI box (Power Sword, Auto Bolt Rifle) or a weapon the Intercessors had in their multi-part kit for over a year (Stalker Bolt Rifle). There have been lieutenants with different weapons, but to date it's been a total of only three (DA, SW and Vanguard). Hardly 12+.

I hadn't heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised. It seems like GW's insistence on always painting their Ultramarine models in 2nd Company colors may have been the tail wagging the dog in the Shadowspear campaign. The mini-codex mentions that codex-compliant chapters should have a hundred Vanguard marines in their 10th Company and that marines in Reserve Companies may be seconded to Battle Companies in a Vanguard role. It doesn't say anything about the actual members of Battle Companies like the Ultramarines 2nd (including their commanding officer) being wholly transitioned to Vanguard duties. But when you're insisting on presenting all of your units in 2nd Company colors and you're introducing a Vanguard version of company command, then necessarily the command of your 2nd Company must become Vanguard marines.

That being the case, I could see how a narrative of Telion having crossed the Primaris Rubicon and continuing to serve in the 10th Company was originally planned and then scrapped once the insistence that Shadowspear would focus on 2nd Company was made clear. Of course by that time it would have been too late to re-design the model.

If we're talking about "need", then as long as you pick your army from Codex Space Marines you don't "need" anything. Armies that need stuff are Necrons and Craftworlds, who are still running sculpts that are over 2 decades old. Marines are in a good place and yes, the Ultramarines might have more than anyone else, but aside from named characters we're all very well treated. I think all of us should take a step back and look beyond the borders of our Codex at the bigger picture.

If we're talking about "need", then as long as you pick your army from Codex Space Marines you don't "need" anything. Armies that need stuff are Necrons and Craftworlds, who are still running sculpts that are over 2 decades old. Marines are in a good place and yes, the Ultramarines might have more than anyone else, but aside from named characters we're all very well treated. I think all of us should take a step back and look beyond the borders of our Codex at the bigger picture.

Not likely to happen in a thread about the next Marine codex, mate ;)

Not likely to happen in a thread about the next Marine codex, mate :wink:

It goes beyond this thread though, doesn't it. Marine players "need" things in various threads all the time.

Well, even though some ranges are much older and require a visual refresh, it can be argued that the Primaris range is incomplete and needs additional releases just to function as a well rounded army. That's more important.

Just compare the functionality, variety and performance of an Eldar army right now against a Primaris army. Eldar need a lot less support.

The resources spent designing and producing 12+ Lieutenants and a new Captain every time you want a different weapon could have been so better spent.

I'd say that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Almost all of the lieutenants have only come with weapons that they either had access to in the DI box (Power Sword, Auto Bolt Rifle) or a weapon the Intercessors had in their multi-part kit for over a year (Stalker Bolt Rifle). There have been lieutenants with different weapons, but to date it's been a total of only three (DA, SW and Vanguard). Hardly 12+.

Sadly it's not. Someone did the count before in another thread and maybe even this one.

Regardless it doesn't detract from my point - a single hero kit would cover Captains, Lieutenants and if inventive enough even Librarians and Chaplains. 1 kit. Then resources could go elsewhere.

Alas, GW is milking a single product line in both AoS and 40K to almost the exclusion of other stuff. This isn't really an exaggeration because if you look at say the Whalers on the Moon Dwarves in AoS, or Fyreslayers (They slay fire, Avi), the releases are meagre and left as if completed. Then take a look at 40K - Primaris get stuff, then we get some token models for something else, then more Primaris stuff, then an Ork Buggy etc, then more Primaris stuff.

GW likes small splash releases now. No more dedication to a faction. Except the 2 lead factions in the main to games.

It's being milked and I think people will get tired of this business model.

Archived