Space Marine Apocalypse Detachment?

Wassa

Is the Space Marine Apocalypse Detachment worth getting for a new Blood Angels player who only has a Librarian Dreadnought and Death Company?

It's good value, but I wonder whether it's too shooty for a Blood Angel army?

It depends on how you want to play your Blood Angels to be honest. Blood Angels aren't World Eaters or daemons or whatever. They follow the Codex Astartes to a large degree and only make compromises due their Twincurse.

That being said the Apoc box has a LOT of Intercessors. More than you usually need in regular sized 40k games. So unless you want a heavy focus on Troops units or plan to play bigger games/Apoc games it might not be the best option for you. I for one already have 20 Intercessors (so 10 less than you'd get in the box) and don't see myself getting more unless my group starts to get really into Apoc ... and I'm also waiting and hoping for a gravis armour based Troops option eventually. However that's also partly on me because I love toys over boys even when it's not the most ideal approach usually.

P.S. keep in mind that an Intercessor is as good in melee as a regular Assault Marine with Chainsword due the +1A of Primaris and also benefits from the Red Thirst like any other of our infantry units, so it's not like they are completely shooty either. :wink:

EDIT: too many typos. Time to go to bed. :sweat:

However you intend to play, command points are essential. If you're going for a single-battalion setup, intercessors can be useful for staying power. However you would only need 15 of them max, most likely fewer. You would want some Scouts regardless. With a double-battalion setup Scouts are undoubtedly the superior option due to cheapness.

Yeah I'm leaning towards scouts for the forwards deploy and character screening. I'd prefer Infiltrators over Intercessors, but scouts are cheaper.

Guard are my main and original faction, so I'm currently using them to provide the troops, CP, and long range fire power while I focus on signature BA units.

Yeah I'm leaning towards scouts for the forwards deploy and character screening. I'd prefer Infiltrators over Intercessors, but scouts are cheaper.

Guard are my main and original faction, so I'm currently using them to provide the troops, CP, and long range fire power while I focus on signature BA units.

Tbh that's not a bad tactic at all. Most competitive armies are soup of some kind anyway. If you want to go full BA and your focus is on character screening, Infiltrators are good but right now 22 points a model is just way too expensive for a troops choice IMO. If you were looking to go full Primaris then I would take them over Intercessors but since you don't seem to be then Scouts at half the price are just a more cost-effective option.

Eh, I'd never take Infiltrators over Intercessors. They are a mixed bag for how expensive they are and Intercessors are simply solid. Also Infiltrators don't really screen characters better than Intercessors unless you have characters with some form of alternative deployment.

Archived