Hermanista's Sons of the Phoenix

So in an effort to paint something other than my Knights, I've got involved in a tale of many painters via the Ashes of the Imperium podcast on Twitter.

Decided to go with Sons of the Phoenix, as theres the chance to sculpt a few accoutrements on there such as the candles, whilst also doing a white army that I've never done in my 27 years of GW.

Started with the archetypal Primaris Lieutenant, with some troops to follow - although Heat 2 is next weekend so I need to finish some Moirax too for my knight force I'm taking.

Anv0bDL.jpg

OOMMuvU.jpg

The candles were made of pieces of plastruct tube, with paper clips for the wicks and to pin the to the backpack.

The wax run off is made from applications of superglue and toilet paper, which helps embed it all in together.

Nice easy conversion to get me started

And therefore more you shall have!

High Resurrectionist Ardemus, Chaplain Lord of the Sons of the Phoenix; bearer of the Book of Flame.

Loved the original model but wanted something a bit different that hadn't been seen before.

Still work to do on the greenstuff front, but that's the second character mostly done.

CA0qe7p.jpg

VgXxGMV.jpg

oYarlPr.jpg

tQLygda.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am returned!

Having qualified for the final at the GT, I can put the knights back in the cabinet and start again with the Sons.

Over the event weekend I bought the new Kor'sarro Kham model, the pose is great for a character, but even more so I love the fur mantle over his shoulder, more marines should have that, not just the Wolves.

I've filed off almost all of the White Scar iconography, just the chest to do so tonight I started adding on the candles that are a key part of the chapters look. They still need the flames and wax drips adding, but that will come later.

Also need to decide what head I want to use and what weapon to replace the sword with.

Anyway, what do folks think?

bkvaWDo.jpg

jFg2gP5.jpg

KVHVi5s.jpg

I think the head in hand will have to go, doesn't quite match the aesthetic of the Sons of the Phoenix, bit too barbaric. As a suggestion for the sword - possibly the sword from the Vanguard Veterans (the large one with Imperialis on it)? Maybe replace the small rounded armour piece with a tilt shield too.
Also, where in the world did you get those lovely transfers from? I very much would like to know before I splurge on Shapeways for parts.

Edited by Martox

Another night,m another hours work - I dug out a squad of infiltrators from the shadowspear release that I'd previously built - then started implanting what must be infrared #StealthCandles!

It's obviously how their helmets optics can see each other when their squads armour is coated in optical camouflage...

Which does make me think about doing the squad in black, with a purple arm and white shoulder pad - just to make them fit their role better in the force - something to think about.

Anyway, pictures!

HGOLK8g.jpg

h9kYhI2.jpg

g0E0YWu.jpg

t9vT0kJ.jpg

FlYpIHG.jpg

• 2 months later...

Long time no post!

So after a busy summer, I'm back to working on building my force of Sons of the Phoenix. Load of stuff built the latest two being a captain/chapter master conversion that'll all sub in as Tor Garadon if needed, and the start of the first Contemptor dread.

HJbQn1p.jpg

eWbiMVk.jpg

At some point I need to start putting real paint to model, with the idea being to run these at the GT final in January I need to get busy!

Chris

HOW DID I MISS ALL THESE UPDATES ?? 

As applies the Khan conversion - personally, I'd be tempted to swap the sword. It's a legit sword, but it might not mesh ideally with a more European-esque material culture. Obvious sub-ins would include the Dark Angels primaris sprue one ; perhaps a Grey Knight terminator one depending upon hands and suchlike. Although due ot how things are positioned, you may wind up just switching out hte blade rather than the whole thing. 

Stealth Candles are an amusing concept. 

As applies hte character - that's the gravis Iron Father as base miniature, I presume? Goes really nicely with the FW IIIrd upgrade helm - which i've usually been rather unimpressed by on its own. Nice work! 

@Ryltar

The Khan conversion already got changed up, his sword replaced by a templarish club instead (counts as a sword).

lfp3Wky.jpg

rXIpmtl.jpg

Also found a picture of my Executioner - it's not going in the list for the moment but I loved the model so grabbed one to paint up. Only the base layers have been laid out, but it showed the style at least.

WbxwdYz.jpg

0gVJwle.jpg

Packing to go off to a larp event tonight, but hoping I can finally start on the next bit of the force at least.

Some excellent conversions with a lot of character in them. The counts as Khan is very striking. I remember seeing the colour scheme for these a while back I think, and I remember thinking they looked good, although I find white rather an intimidating colour! Good luck with these, I will be interested to see more. 

Wow, a load of replies.

Here we go then -

Astral Panda - cheers! I wanted to go with something a bit different to the normal first founding, that could play as a few different relevant chapters - these would do as Fists or Black Templars having read their background. But it was mainly because of the colours, the chance to try sculpting candles and to get better at painting white mainly.

Techtype - he definitely looks the part, but I'm torn between him and not-Tor Garadon for favourite so far of the character models - the contemptor wins favourite model in the army.

Aarik/TheDuke - transfers come from Scumb4g Kustoms on Facebook, they weren't cheap - about 27 quid for the two including postage from japan the the UK, but they are stunning and well worth it I reckon.

Ryltar - I'd hoped you preferred it, removing the severed head and sword so the club does change the feel. The club came from the deathguard sprue, the head, I'm not actually sure to be honest.

Still not started the centurions, but do have a youtube video to watch about converting them so that might work for it. We shall see

• 2 weeks later...

So Brother ToBeNamed is pretty much done.

JeEDFT4.jpg

He needs a few tweaks but happy enough to move on to the centurions. I did try a primaris one using agr3ssor legs, but wasn't happy in the end and moved back to just regular ones.

With the GT final creeping closer I decided I didnt have enough time to get the army finished if I was heavily converting bits.

As you can see, an earlier copy of the list shows loads to do, but it'll pick up quickly.

HJ0lOWe.jpg

For Dorn!