Akhazriel's 38th Tethoria

Akhazriel

Not sure if this is the right forum or it would better fit into the Astra Militarum forum, since it's not only about Painting/Modelling WIP but also about the unit composition and lore of my regiment. please correct if I'm wrong here.

So, I always had a kind of motivation problem with painting my minis and unfortunately I'm also not really good at it. Since I returned to the hobby after a long break, I decided to finally give my half or less painted Guard models some colours. Most of my army was collected and "painted" 15 years ago, so I will rework most of the existing "paintjobs".

In order to up my motivation, I constructed some lore around my regiment and decided to start a blog here to keep track of my progress.

The thread will be organized according to my regiment organization, which follows below. Each unit will get an "entry" (a section so to speak, not a separate post, don't worry :wink: ), with some fluff thoughts, specs and a picture of the current status.

As I'm a father of a toddler, have a full-time job and other hobbies too, it may take a while between updates on my progress.

Regiment Organization:

AM Organigram

Green: Unit is built and assembled with all necessary wargear
Yellow: Unit has to be built, reorganised or misses wargear
Red: Future expansion, not yet bought.
Edited by Akhazriel

2nd Infantry Company

An Infantry Company of the 38th Tethorian normally comprises at least two Infantry Platoons, one Support Platoon and a small attached Artillery Support Brigade. The platoon is the smallest organizational unit that is fielded.  An Infantry Platoon consists of the Platoon Command (Platoon Commander with Command Squad) and four Infantry Squad, where two are Line Squads and the other two are Assault squads, to ensure that a Platoon can adopt both Defensive and offensive objectives. The Support Platoon consists of the Platoon Command and various Heavy Weapon Squads that support the Infantry Platoons depending on the incoming enemy type.

Company Commander (Oberst Titus Grimm):

• Wargear: Las Pistol, Power Sword, Frag Grenades
  • Options: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
  • Painting next step: Priming

Company Command Squad

• Wargear: Mortar, Regimental Standard, Vox, Caster, Lasguns

Although the Company Commander (usually an “Oberst”) often sets to the field with his troops, he is expected to command and organize the battle and not waste his tactical prowess (which brought him his position) in close combat. Therefore, the Company Command Squad usually is armed with long-range weapons such as Mortars to support their comrades. 

Company Command

(Lord) Commissar (Baleos Geuze)
  • Wargear: Power Axe, Hand Flamer (Counts as Bolt Pistol)

Commissar Baleus

Every Company has a Commissar attached to make sure moral is at its top. For Gameplay Reason, these will be played as Lord Commissar or Commissar, depending on battle size and used detachments.

Company Veterans

Manticore

Chimera

1st Platoon

Led by Feldwebel Aurelian Crotwell, who has an exceptional Ability to form and maintain an effective gun line, the first Platoon excels in defending objectives, using the assault Squads mainly for counter-offensive and to deter enemy units from coming to close to the main line.

Platoon 1

Platoon Commander (Feldwebel Aurelian Crotwell)
  • Wargear: Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
  • Painting next step: Drybrush regimentals

Platoon Command Squad

• Wargear: Plasma Gun x 2, Vox Caster, Medic

Command Squad 1st Platoon

First Assault Squad, First Platoon
  • Wargear: Flamer, Sgt: Chainsword + Laspistol
  • Options: Vox Caster
  • Painting Status: unclear

1st Assault Squad 1st Platoon

Second Assault Squad, First Platoon
  • Wargear: Flamer, Sgt: Chainsword + Laspistol
  • Options: Vox Caster
  • Painting next step: Nuln Oil Wash

2nd Assault Squad 1st Platoon

First Line Squad, First Platoon
  • Wargear: Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter, Sgt: Bolter + Chainsword
  • Options: Autocannon
  • Painting next step: Armor and Weapons drybrush

Platoon 1 Line Squad 1

Second Line Squad, First Platoon
  • Wargear: Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher
  • Painting next step: Drybrush Armor and Weapons

2nd Line Squad 1st Platoon

This Squad are the remnants of a nearly destroyed Steel legion Regiment that was merged with the 38th Tethoria after taking heavy casualties.

2nd Platoon

Led by Thoren Frohwein, the second platoon excels in short range combat and house-to-house fighting, using the line squads mainly as fire support and to suppress enemy infantry while the assault squads take their objectives.

Platoon Commander (Feldwebel Thoren Frohwein)
  • Wargear: Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
  • Options: Power Fist, Las Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Chainsword

Platoon Command Squad

• Wargear: Plasma Gun x 2, Vox Caster, Meltagun

2ndPlatoon Command

Edited by Akhazriel

• 1 month later...

Fresh from the conveyors: my new Tank Commander :D

Company Command: Tank Commander (Boras Lueker):
  • Equipment: Demolisher Cannon, 3 Heavy Flamers
  • Options: Punisher Gatling Gun, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons, Muli-Melta, Laser Cannon

Tank Commander

Edited by Akhazriel

So, I decided to redo my Commander for the second platoon and since I really like flexibility (why should a commander only have access to one and only one weapon option?) I decided to try to magnetize him and I thought I can share this little project here.

So, these are the weapon options. Unfortunately, I can't find an axe or a maul in my bits collection... The plan is the following:

• Use the power fist along with the arm that holds the book/sheets of paper and a pistol in a holster (magnetised to the side), since the holstered pistol can count as every pistol available (las, bolt, plasma).
  • Use the sword arm or the chainsword arm along with one of the three pistol arms.
  • If I get hold of an Arm usable as IG with Axe or Maul see point 2, if I get hold on a single appropriate axe/maul bit, it goes to the side where the holster from point one is and the officer gets one of the three pistol arms plus the arm that holds the book/sheets of paper.

PC Magnetising01

First comes, of course, the most expandable bit, the laser pistol arm:

PC Magnetising02

PC Magnetising03

PC Magnetising04

So, I did the CC arms as well as the las-pistol and Bolter Pistol Arm this Weekend. Plasma Pistol is pending.

It went really smooth and I think the result is quite good.

PC Chainsword LasPistol

PC Chainsword BP

PC Powersword LasPistol

PC Powersword BP

The only problem I encountered is that the holstered pistols of the AM Command Squad Sprue are all right handed, but since the Powerfist ist also right-handed, I'd need a left handed pistol of course. Seems a bit pedantic, but just how should the Commander pull out the gun with his powerfist? :teehee:
So, if anyone has an idea where to get a left handed AM (holstered) pistol, I'd really appreciate it.

PC Powerfist

• 3 weeks later...

So, finally, he has all the options except for the axe and maul (axe coming after I get my Anvil Shipment that was accidently sent to australia instead of austria by royal Mail :facepalm: )

I decided to add the holstered pistol to the back, giving it a somewhat realistic position. 

PC Powerfist

PC Powerfist Pistol

PC Powerfist complete

after that, only the PP was left and here I :cussed up a little. I tested if the hole was big enough for the magnet (like I always do) and somehow got the magnet stuck inside it, but with the wrong polarity, so the body of my poor Commander was repelling his own arm. I really tried t get the magnet out, but wasn't able to:

PP Stuck magnet

I finally decided to drill a hole from the other side to push it out, which worked quite fine. Now I only have to decide if I model the hole as bullet wound or kit it up somehow.

Plasma Pistol hole

PC PPArm hole

So, what do you think about my little magnetising project?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally started to build my "Trapper Squads" as I want to use one of them in the upcoming campaign game this weekend at my local store.

A Trapper Squad in the 38th is a Special Weapons Squad with 2 Flamers and a Demo Charge and they are usually part of a Vanguard Company, but can of course be lent to an Infantry company.

However, I really wondered how to build a demo charge and so I searched the Internet for ideas, when I came across this one: http://commissar.proboards.com/thread/11626/demo-charge-conversion

Apparently the "rings" on the old vox casters where bigger than on the new ones, but I think my version still looks decent. Will search my bits box for an old vox caster (there gotta be one somewhere ^^)

Demo Charge

Demo Charge 2