new Codex, new Ideas

Medjugorje

I know brothers, its a bit early but there are a few things i noticed which could be a thing.

- With Honor guard and Company Veterans (this unit must be played^^)  we have the best bodyguards for our Characters. Even Vindicare Assasines should be no problem. After we get the nromal wound number, it come to mortal wounds. If this should fail we can give it up and then have a 5+++ on our bodyguards too^^.

- a lot of Terminators could be a thing now. +1 attack and -4 ap and still reroll charges. Its my most beloved unit.

There is just one army i would fear at the moment: other marines^^

Its worth noting that Assault Marines are now 3A each and Reivers are 4A, so while they arent that good they are now very disruptive and very cheap. They may at least get some use or an effective role.

Personally the army that Im thinking of right now is just a horde of Astartes, an all Primaris force thats nothing but bodies all swarming up the board. Asssuming Incursors are a troop choice then my army would look like

Helbrecht+Grimaldus/Chaplain+Marshall Law+Lieutenant

3x10 Intercessors

3x5 Infiltrators or Incursors

Venerable Dreadnoughts for anti-tank

Warsuits as distractions

Thats probably more than 2000pts and lacking in anti-tank but all of these things just call to me to make a double battallion and the idea of triple layer of marines up the board sounds really cool. There's just so many good things I want to add, new combos we have yet to see! Like the +1 to hit Warlord Trait would be awesome somewhere in a defensive gunline as would the +1" to charge in some sort of all infiltrating/deep strike list.

Where are you getting the -4 AP?

The New Combat Doctrine for Space Marines that was previewed basically equates to situational -1AP to different weapon types depending on the doctrine.

I am actually thinking about getting some more intercessors in here. 2 times msu with rapid fire, 1 msu with Stalker.

Leaving a lot of the melee burden to more elite units like vanguard vets, company vets and terminators.

One or two ironclads could also be really cool

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

I mean really this makes what was already good even better. Sword brethren with power fists and Helbrecht, goes from 2 attacks -> 3 attacks -> 4 attacks with our stratagem from vigilus. 

If the cost for storm shield thunder hammer terminators goes down then they might be worth it with 3 attacks each now, plus potential buffs from Chaplains. 

With the advent of the new BT Chapter Tactics and the Shock Assault rule, plus the new rules we got from Shadowspear, I think the days of a BT Sword Brethren assault from Deep Strike may have been "reborn," so to speak.

Consider the following Vanguard Detachment:

-Chaplain in Terminator Armor
-Lieutenant in Phobos Armor (WL, with "Master of the Vanguard" WL Trait)
-5 Sword Brethren (Assault Terminators), all with TH/SS

Place everyone in Reserve, Turn 2 drop in 9" away from your primary target (let's just say a Chaos Knight, for this example). With the +1" to their charge from "Master of the Vanguard" WL Trait, plus reroll of one or both dice thanks to BT Chapter Tactics, you should be able to quite reliably get in at least two of the Sword Brethren squads and hopefully both the characters. That gives you 30 x S8 AP-3 D3 attacks (thanks to Shock Attack, with about 20 hitting, 11-12 wounding, and 9-10 getting through the Knight's armor. At D3 each, that's 27-30 wounds, which can kill any of the major Knights in a single round (even without having to spend 3CP on "Honour the Chapter" to fight a second time with one of the squads).

Alternately, say you targeted a squad of 15 Genestealers. Using the same averages, that is 30 attacks, 20 hits, 19-20 wounds, and 13-14 dead Tyranids after 5++ Invul saves, so pretty much the entire squad destroyed. Finally, say the target is a squad of Custodes Bikers. With the same averages, you have 30 attacks, 20 hits, 16-17 wounds, 8-9 unsaved wounds, and about 4 dead Vertus Praetors in a single set of attacks.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Do we think the reiver lt will get Master of the vanguard as well? I didnt know about the shadowspear wl traits before.

I simply prefer that Model tbh.

Thinking about this some more:

Man I hope they do something for warlord traits. Oathkeeper is so bad.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Assault Terminators look good. I feel like the new codex and supplement will gives us a lot of options. If we want to go for an elite build Helbrecht with his sword brethren and a bunch of deep striking terminators will kill pretty much any big target imaginable. But if we want to go for a black tide list full size shooting and melee squads can take advantage of the combat doctrines and threaten the enemy while swarming objectives, and for primaris lovers intercessors can really pull their weight. I wonder if drop pod rules will change any? I've always wanted to do a steel rain list.