White Scars and BA

Morticon

I'm late to this party because I have only recently seen WS info dripping out.  

But WOW.  How BEAUTIFULLY designed is this codex?! It's EVERYTHING I want my BA to be.  If they ported all the strats and doctrines as is, to BA with BAs current "chapter tactics" - id be done. I'd be like...never change a thing again.

Lightning Debarkation, the keep in combat ability, the fight fleeing units in combat, the ignore overwatch......its just perfect, perfect.

I am now holding out, hope among hope that they put this much thought and effort into our codex. 

I'm also definitely going to give the scars a run - because they fit our playstyle so damned well. 

What do you guys think?

I have played 2 games with BA WS AM soup. Absolutely love it! Taking it to a tournament in 10 days. Lacking to many models to go pure for this tournament. But they seem really strong as a standalone chapter too.

The Libby powers have so much utility, turning off overwatch giving a unit +2 to charge or slowing down enemy units. My favorite mechanic has been the fallback and charge, it opens up so many new spots in the fight phase.

IMO i think both options seem viable. My list uses a ton of CP pregame (5-9), but i think in a more balanced list would benefit greatly from staying pure space marines. Taking this:

Blood Angels Batallion
Captain, jump pack, thunderhammer, stormshield
Libby Dread - Warlord
5 Infiltrators
5 scouts
5 scouts
Sanguinary Ancient, FNP banner, powerfist
5 bikes, stormbolter
5 bikes, stormbolter
5 bikes, stormbolter

White Scar Supreme
Captain on bike - Stormshield, thunderhammer - Master of snares, flying bike
Captain on bike - Stormshield, thunderhammer
Captain on bike - Teeth of Terra, stormshield - Chogorian Storm
Libby, jump pack -    +1 to cast relic

Valhallen brigade
3 x Company Commander
6 x 10 Infantry Squads
2 x Platoon Commanders
1 Comissar
3 x 3 Mortar teams
3 x scout sentinel, multi laser

Some interesting combos:

Chaplain with +1 to advance and change relic and the litany for 2" charge and 6" consolidate. When litany goes off the chaplain will have a +3 to charge aura and you can improve a unit with additional +2 for a +5. Dropping in 10 assault termies that ignore overwatch (psychic buff) and having a 4" charge. With the 6" consolidate it will open up for clearing multiple units and wrapping something you did not declare.

Reivers are cheaper than intercessors. With phobos powers you can move and advance two times, if you set this up with white scars powers + advance aura rellic you are looking at 6 + 3 + d6 + 6 + 3 + d6 you are looking at a movement of around 25 inches avg. before charging.

- Intercessors with the assault bolter (3 shots) moving and advancing every turn kinda like orks.

- You can put units into outflank for 1 cp

- You can fallback and still shoot with one unit (1cp), making land raiders and similar stuff not terrible.

- Company Champion with master crafted powersword is less than 60 points and 5 attacks on the charge re-rolling hit/wound vs chars.

- White Scar power to stop a unit from advancing and removing 1 dice on charge

I love that you can amplify whichever unit you enjoy playing with instead of looking for the most point effcient unit in the book and taking that.

I have a bunch of old bikes I've been stripping and rebuilding ready for a repaint. I was tempted to make them White Scars before for a small pure bike detachment, not really for any power reasons but more for fluff and to paint something up a little different.

I might have to go down that route.

IMO i think both options seem viable. My list uses a ton of CP pregame (5-9), but i think in a more balanced list would benefit greatly from staying pure space marines. Taking this:

Blood Angels Batallion

Libby Dread - Warlord

5 Infiltrators

5 scouts

5 scouts

5 bikes, stormbolter

5 bikes, stormbolter

5 bikes, stormbolter

White Scar Supreme

Libby, jump pack - +1 to cast relic

Valhallen brigade

3 x Company Commander

6 x 10 Infantry Squads

2 x Platoon Commanders

1 Comissar

3 x 3 Mortar teams

I don’t want to derail Mort’s thread, but this looks scary as hell!!

That list would be almost a «hardcounter» to my list. Hope I won’t get paired up against that list game 1.... or perhaps I’ll be a real masochist and ask the TO if I can grudge you game 1 ^^

Edit: grammar

Blood Angels Batallion

Libby Dread - Warlord

5 Infiltrators

5 scouts

5 scouts

5 bikes, stormbolter

5 bikes, stormbolter

5 bikes, stormbolter

White Scar Supreme

Libby, jump pack - +1 to cast relic

Valhallen brigade

3 x Company Commander

6 x 10 Infantry Squads

2 x Platoon Commanders

1 Comissar

3 x 3 Mortar teams

Cool list!

What are the powers for the WS Libby?

IIRC you can't give the 2 WS Capt. a Warlord Traits, only 1.

I see and retead it. “Hero of the Chapter“ is only “once per Battle“, so only 1 additional Trait.

Good catch! I totally missed that. Only the relics can be purchased multiple times. Thanks!

The libby will be taking ignore overwatch / +2 to charge or the movement debuff. Or vanilla powers, nullzone and might of heroes depending on matchup.

Archived