Chaos Mastodon

techsoldaten

Are Chaos Mastodons worth it?

Someone is offering to sell me one. I'd like to know if it actually has a place on the tabletop.

Absolutely love the model, figure it's the ultimate delivery system for World Eaters. No way to surround it, can fire in close combat, gets wounds back for everything it kills. Most small arms can barely scratch it, most bigger guns are not killing it in a single turn.

I'm looking at the stats - S9 T9 A8 W30 2+ / 5+ void shield save. Better than a Knight, but not by much.

Would you ever considering using one?

If you want a transport, why not the cheaper spartan with laser destroyers. Less points, 20 man capacity and lighter on the wallet to boot. 

I already have 2 Spartans. The Mastodon would not set me back that much. Even though it's new in the bag, I'm not paying full price.

More what I care about is how to use it. I try not to buy models with no conceivable use in games.

Part of the appeal is the size of the model, it's more than a foot long. Properly positioned, everything in the middle of the table becomes a charge target for disembarking units.

Maybe fill the Mastodon with 3x8 Berzerkers + a Contemptor, advance + Warptime turn one, everything disembarks turn two? Could the 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields reliably survive a couple turns of shooting?

If you want a transport, why not the cheaper spartan with laser destroyers. Less points, 20 man capacity and lighter on the wallet to boot. 

I already have 2 Spartans. The Mastodon would not set me back that much. Even though it's new in the bag, I'm not paying full price.

More what I care about is how to use it. I try not to buy models with no conceivable use in games.

Part of the appeal is the size of the model, it's more than a foot long. Properly positioned, everything in the middle of the table becomes a charge target for disembarking units.

Maybe fill the Mastodon with 3x8 Berzerkers + a Contemptor, advance + Warptime turn one, everything disembarks turn two? Could the 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields reliably survive a couple turns of shooting?

I mean, the Mastodon is an amazing and beautiful kit, and it does have a use (that being a nigh-invulnerable transport that will get your dudes to where they want to be) it's just screwed by it's points cost thanks to Chapter Approved making it over 1k.

And yes, 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields can indeed reliably survive SEVERAL turns of shooting. Not only does it have 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields, it's also TOUGHNESS 9. Lascannons are wounding you on 4s, Volcano are only wounding on 3s! Dedicated anti-tank has a hell of time of killing it :lol:

I mean, the Mastodon is an amazing and beautiful kit, and it does have a use (that being a nigh-invulnerable transport that will get your dudes to where they want to be) it's just screwed by it's points cost thanks to Chapter Approved making it over 1k.

And yes, 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields can indeed reliably survive SEVERAL turns of shooting. Not only does it have 30 W, 2+ Sv and Void Shields, it's also TOUGHNESS 9. Lascannons are wounding you on 4s, Volcano are only wounding on 3s! Dedicated anti-tank has a hell of time of killing it :laugh.:

Yeah, hopefully the GW accountomancers see enough plastic knights sold so we can at least have the old initial points back on super heavies. :rolleyes: