What should we put in pods now?

The Unseen

Well, if anything.

What can we bring in a pod down turn 1 that's actually useful, that we can't easily acquire through other means.

I'm thinking 9 sternguard vets with Mephiston might be worth looking at.

Or even 8 and a cheap captain too.

My list runs a bunch of turn 1 threats though.

I don't think the dev grav bomb is worth it for us since we don't have the grav strategem that makes it bonkers, nore easy access to chapter master rerolls in the pod.

Of course plasma is always good, but I think Inceptors are better than company vets in a pod, just thanks to cost, durability, and the FLY keyword.

I've had some trouble recently killing marines in cover, either because theyre in it or I'm going first and they use prepared positions, and I pack a lot of storm bolters, but they struggle to get through 2+ saves if my opponents dice roll even slightly above average, and think the -2 AP +1 to wound sternguard might be useful, since I don't do plasma at all.

(I know it's the best option, but I have the absolute worst luck with it)

But getting Mephiston (basically the only melee character worth working around his lack of jump pack) in an aggressive spot early sounds interesting.

Thinking he drops down and throws unleash rage on a squad of DC I forlorned up the board, or casting shield on his tag along unit, and then quickening, he's likely to make the 9" charge thanks to his +3 from quickening.

Could even then combine him with a libby dread, since Mephy won't need wings often between his 7" move and 2d6+3 charge distance afterwards.

considering the strength of BA jump pack units for assault, pods seem best suited for dropping in board control and close support for the assault.

Depends what your DC outfit is but there's less need for unleash rage now we have shock assault. Mephy with wings could be awesome for jumping over screens and taking down key units.

There's a lot of stuff to watch out for. I ran 9 pods in 6th Ed but it wouldn't work so well now against Marines with infiltrators, Tau and eldar with full BS auspex starts, GSC, etc. Lots of pods would eat the points but there's certainly a place for a few of them to be very useful.

Even something like company vets and a host of support characters can be a decent idea. You get them where you want turn one, maybe just in time for the DC to be lined up.

Another point is remember that pods can also play the unique role of coming in from reserve AFTER turn 3. A tac Squad coming in late could potentially clear and contest and objective.

Finally don't forget Assault Squads, we are unique in that we can take two special weapons and something on the sarge. Two of these in a pod is decent shooting.

Even something like company vets and a host of support characters can be a decent idea. You get them where you want turn one, maybe just in time for the DC to be lined up.

Another point is remember that pods can also play the unique role of coming in from reserve AFTER turn 3. A tac Squad coming in late could potentially clear and contest and objective.

Finally don't forget Assault Squads, we are unique in that we can take two special weapons and something on the sarge. Two of these in a pod is decent shooting.

2x5 man ASM Squads with dual plasma and plasma pistol(s) on the sarge could be an interesting distraction.

2x5 man ASM Squads with dual plasma and plasma pistol(s) on the sarge could be an interesting distraction.

Or Melta, sure you won't be in optimum range but you can slag some heavy targets. I'm still incredibly miffed that they got rid of dual Inferno Pistols though, two of those squads was my go to AV Busters.

I remember someone bought a load of RAS with Plasma in tight bubbles and a captain to DS and gun things down to great effect. It was early 8th though so YMMV. Again though it may be one of those things where you just bring company vets instead for maximum special weapons.

Archived