Aquilon Terminators- Conversion

Playing with kitbashing Aquilon terminators using allarus bodies.

Question is, these guys normally have half-capes, which bulk up their midsection. Does he look too narrow in the waist without it? (I could miliput up a cape if needed... whether it would look good is another question!)

1028731_sm-.jpeg

1028730_sm-.jpeg

Do you have thigh plates you could add? That may help a bit. I think that specific leg pose isn’t doing you any favors. Paint makes most things look better too.

Edit: And bam, you did my suggestion while I thought about it and typed it. Looks great.

Edited by Frostbit3

Otherwise very nice work, but damn if those poses aren't screaming "I need a toilet break NOW". Their stature looks somewhat... I don't know, stunted? Like their arms hang too low (over the knee like gorillas, versus humans who normally go halfway to their thighs).

Otherwise very nice work, but damn if those poses aren't screaming "I need a toilet break NOW". Their stature looks somewhat... I don't know, stunted? Like their arms hang too low (over the knee like gorillas, versus humans who normally go halfway to their thighs).

Ha - now you’ve said that, I see it!

Hmmm, it’s odd. Before making these, I was worried about the arms being too short (using space marine arms on Custodes).

Maybe it’s just the GW heroic scale, long arms and truncated legs?

I think there are two factors that might be throwing us off:

- Although normal marine terminators are smaller than custodes, the fists you've used look oddly big on them. Maybe you could try with a closed fist bit, to see if it looks a tad more proportional?

- The base size might be playing tricks with our perception here. As we're so used to 28-40mm bases, we tend to judge the bulk and height of a miniature comparing it to the base it is standing on, especially when there are no other clear references around (such as a well known miniature ie: classic monopose marine in squat pose). Maybe if you could take a picture of them next to another miniature, or on a 40mm base, we might be able to better grasp their actual size.

At any rate, the conversion looks really nice, and I like the clever use of the orlock shoulderpads, they fit surprisingly well (I would have suggested the hip plates from other custodes kits, but I'm not sure they would fit very well there).

Edit: there is another thing I realised. Checking some pictures of the allarus terminators kit, the legs have a tense stance, and together with the standard arms they make the custodes look mid-action. I have the feeling that in your minis, the arms are in a bit more relaxed position, and thus "hide" the motion of the legs, making them look a bit shorter. Maybe if you repose the arms to look a bit more dynamic, the stance will be clearer the movement of the legs will become apparent.

Edited by Elzender

Hmm, while the poses still see just a little clunky, I love the fact that someone has come up with what seems like a pretty viable way of making those (pretty terrible) plastic Custodes Terminators look more like the (classic HH-artwork inspired) resin ones. On that note, though, how about adding the characteristic "topknots" on top of the armour?

Hmm, while the poses still see just a little clunky, I love the fact that someone has come up with what seems like a pretty viable way of making those (pretty terrible) plastic Custodes Terminators look more like the (classic HH-artwork inspired) resin ones. On that note, though, how about adding the characteristic "topknots" on top of the armour?

That would look good - unfortunately I’m missing the top knots!

• 3 weeks later...

The body looks great, but I'm not sure the heads work? They feel like very BIG heads.

They should work - they are Custodes heads on Custodian bodies!

The black space around the heads has done trick; the heads look more appropriate now.