Dreadnought Missile Launcher

I was looking through some army lists and noticed most of the venerable dreads used them, so I went to my sprues of the ones I have not built yet and couldn't figure out why there wasn't missile launchers on the sprue. Then I did some digging looks like they come on the basic dread, but it's out of stock online (not sure how long that goes for) pretty much every "bits" site is out of stock as well. I found one bit on ebay for like 17$, but wasn't sold on doing that. Then I got the idea to make it from scratch, I'm not amazing at coverting yet...just got back into the hobby after nearly 20 years. But I think I could make a crude one out of plasticard and left over pieces I didn't use from the one I built. Has anyone tried this or know if there are any guides? Cause that would be awesome to look at rather just go all in by myself lol

Consider using either chaos rhino havoc launcher, or land speeder Typhoon missile launchers as a basis for a conversion.

You could use polystyrene tube as a basis for a havoc launcher looka-like assembly and use that as a basis for further build. Choose a tuber diameter so that you can fit 6-8 tubes together. and perhaps build a box out of polystyrene sheet as a housing around it. Attach some bits and bobs (like hoses/cables and scopes etc) on it to look more "realistic" and good.

I've converted 2 for my dreads - both use the assault cannon arm as a base + additional shoulder armour plates mounted so the arm can be put upside down on the other side. One has the tip of a sentinel missile launcher, the other the tip from a dev squad missile launcher (w/firing missile bit). Plus some modelling putty to fill some holes.

Using a havoc launcher seems to be a popular conversion for chaos bots.

I started a missile launcher conversion using the front bit of a landspeeder typhon missile launcher and the extra armour plates that come with the venerable dread kit, but I'm afraid I do not have any pictures nor the dread at hand. I do remember that I still needed to cover gaps with plasticard or styrene sheets, and it would have probably been easier to make first a basic shape out of the sheets and then add the plastuc bits on top.

The old Astra Militarum Imperial Guard vehicle kits had hunter killer missile launchers that were large and boxy - cutting off the shoulder from the close combat arm and adding the launcher box below could work too - but the old imperial HKMs are harder to get nowadays.

Another alternative would be using the hurricane bolter arm from the ironclad dread (without the bolters) and modelling some missiles onto the front of that.

Mhh... one could probably build the hurricane bolters and the missiles on a rectangular piece of plasticard each.

Then put some putty into the arm, put in a magnet, put magnets on the back of the weapon plates et voila: magnetized missile/hurricane arm.

Edited by Exilyth