Converting Valdor

gil galed

Constantin Valdor conversion coming along nicely.

Loved the underlying model but wasn’t a huge fan of various bits and pieces. Thought the raven and the monster head really threw the balance of the model off. Also not a huge fan of the super tube-y head.

I removed the beast head and over the raven. Tried to save the tilting shield and did a bit of sculpting. Still not super good at this super it's probably the weakest part of the model. Any suggestions for cover up? Maybe get a new tilt shield.

Also now has hand on misericordia as I wasn't sure what was going on with the rod thing.

Always thought Valdor needed a helmet to balance out the height of the model. Kit bashed storm cast and custodes.

Thoughts or changes?

lKeAlAt.png

SUUWEEET:thumbsup: That is going to be one awesome piece when you're done.

Just one humble observation.... the right fist looks a little awkward sticking out with nothing to do:tongue.: Probably the simplest fix would be to add another weapon, but I think that would make the model look too busy. Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head:

• Repositioned to the chest in a Unification salute
  • Arm slightly raised with the fist replaced with a palm out hand, signaling a command to halt
  • Arm raised high with fist signaling defiance or a troop signal (might ruin the balanced look of the model though)
  • Arm raised high with open palm out (same balance problem)

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will look great.... I'm looking forward to the end result:yes: 

I like this one - Brother Lunkhead's suggestions about the right hand are good. One idea from me is whether, instead of a weapon, he has a scroll or parchment in that hand? Basically he has arrived with an ancient writ from the emperor - and his enemies can either read and obey it, or they get the halberd.

I think that it is a matter of perception, since as gil galed says, Valdor is resting his hand on the pommel of the misericordia, the ceremonial dagger all Custodes have, it's just difficult to see.

The conversion is great, brother, and I really like the helmet with the mask, it is very well done and fits for the Head of the Custodes to have an even more embellished helmet.

My only concern now is painting-wise, the chest and face are look a bit too homogenous as they are all gold, and blends in everything a bit too much. I think that some accent on either Aquila on the helmet or the gorget would help the head pop out and make it a focal point, and make the final result even better!

SUUWEEET:thumbsup: That is going to be one awesome piece when you're done.

Just one humble observation.... the right fist looks a little awkward sticking out with nothing to do:tongue.: Probably the simplest fix would be to add another weapon, but I think that would make the model look too busy. Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head:

• Repositioned to the chest in a Unification salute
  • Arm slightly raised with the fist replaced with a palm out hand, signaling a command to halt
  • Arm raised high with fist signaling defiance or a troop signal (might ruin the balanced look of the model though)
  • Arm raised high with open palm out (same balance problem)

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will look great.... I'm looking forward to the end result:yes:

Thanks Brother, i've added the below pic, shows his hand position, makes a lot more sense in the flesh!

Side Of Valdor

I think that it is a matter of perception, since as gil galed says, Valdor is resting his hand on the pommel of the misericordia, the ceremonial dagger all Custodes have, it's just difficult to see.

The conversion is great, brother, and I really like the helmet with the mask, it is very well done and fits for the Head of the Custodes to have an even more embellished helmet.

My only concern now is painting-wise, the chest and face are look a bit too homogenous as they are all gold, and blends in everything a bit too much. I think that some accent on either Aquila on the helmet or the gorget would help the head pop out and make it a focal point, and make the final result even better!

I've highlighted it up a bit, hopefully that will help, although still needs more!

valdor front

Edited by gil galed