Blood Angels Red Contrast hacks.

Morticon

So...there's a chance this has already been chatted about in depth - I tend to miss some of the more model/painting based stuff - so...if it happens that there's already a thread discussing this, I'll merge it.

Long story short is this.  My "Painting BA" life has just been changed.  

So, for many of you when you picked up BA Contrast (the red contrast paint) you would have noticed that white, grey and black base coats all just didn't have the desired effect.  Black was too dark and really didnt work, grey was okay, but looked off and white had a weird pink effect. 

Now forgive my excitement if this is laughably obvious.......but this blew my mind....

Want to know the magic colour?! 

YELLOW!!!!

I cannot explain how EASY, how AWESOME and how much the models POP with a simple yellow foundation and a layer of BA Contrast.  The highlights are perfect. 

Want to know what else?  If you want a metallic red, you can use "Retributor Armour" - AMAZING look. 

For richer, deeper reds, go "Iyanden Darksun" - the foundation paint - perfect look. 

OR ...if you want even lighter, more "traditional" BA - you can go "Sunburst Yellow" 

But, Iyanden or Retributor - absolute magic.

If you guys haven't tried it and have those paints- PLEASE post your trials here...would love to see!!

Again.....i'll skulk off into the corner if this is old news.  I just had to share the discovery. 

So...there's a chance this has already been chatted about in depth - I tend to miss some of the more model/painting based stuff - so...if it happens that there's already a thread discussing this, I'll merge it.

Long story short is this.  My "Painting BA" life has just been changed.  

So, for many of you when you picked up BA Contrast (the red contrast paint) you would have noticed that white, grey and black base coats all just didn't have the desired effect.  Black was too dark and really didnt work, grey was okay, but looked off and white had a weird pink effect. 

Now forgive my excitement if this is laughably obvious.......but this blew my mind....

Want to know the magic colour?! 

YELLOW!!!!

I cannot explain how EASY, how AWESOME and how much the models POP with a simple yellow foundation and a layer of BA Contrast.  The highlights are perfect. 

Want to know what else?  If you want a metallic red, you can use "Retributor Armour" - AMAZING look. 

For richer, deeper reds, go "Iyanden Darksun" - the foundation paint - perfect look. 

OR ...if you want even lighter, more "traditional" BA - you can go "Sunburst Yellow" 

But, Iyanden or Retributor - absolute magic.

If you guys haven't tried it and have those paints- PLEASE post your trials here...would love to see!!

Again.....i'll skulk off into the corner if this is old news.  I just had to share the discovery. 

First time hearing that, however to be honest some example pictures would have been a great addition to your post. ;) 

Haha good on you mort! So I hadn’t heard about it for contrast - but as I follow the Luther max method of painting blood angels, with some small tweaks, I’ve always used yellow as a filter layer before I apply red. So from a color theory perspective it makes sense. But good on you for spreading the news!!!

Mh really hard to tell. Depending on the angle and the area I like either Iyanden or Sunburst better but neither I think are better than classic layering or glazing. Too spotty. :sweat:

Edited by sfPanzer

Mh really hard to tell. Depending on the angle and the area I like either Iyanden or Sunburst better but neither I think are better than classic layering or glazing. Too spotty. :sweat:

You're right in the spotty regard- keep in mind this was a 5min slapdash job with a dollop of contrast on the brush just to get it done. I think with a little more finesse, you can remove the pools a lot better. 

I believe that the yellow foundation gives a really nice orange highlight. The red itself is nice and vibrant. Might be better visible after reducing some of the shininess with a varnish.

For a quick tabletop effect with the warm orange highlight - I'd say it's infinitely better than the grey/white foundation.

Do show us a finished model which matches your expectations Mort! :smile.:

Edited by Majkhel

Hey Mort, after reading your post regarding BA-Red, I’ve tried it out on a spare JP I had lying around. The effect is not bad, quite decent actually, using Yriel yellow as a foundation. :)

As you and others have already recognized, pooling is something that needs to be taken care of if you’re looking for a clean finish.

My main gripe with the method is that priming with yellow is a massive pain in the rear armour. Even over a white foundation, by the time you’ve applied 2-3 yellow coats over the actual primer, other methods are already finished highlighting the red.

That said, if you have a well-covering sprayable yellow paint, I could see this work. Retributor armour Spray would work as well, seeing as the finish of the spray is much smoother than brushwork if you’re in a hurry.

Myself, I’ve been using the BA contrast paint to shade my models in a blending-esque method, mostly towards recesses. Looks better than using browns!

Hey Mort, after reading your post regarding BA-Red, I’ve tried it out on a spare JP I had lying around. The effect is not bad, quite decent actually, using Yriel yellow as a foundation. :smile.:

As you and others have already recognized, pooling is something that needs to be taken care of if you’re looking for a clean finish.

My main gripe with the method is that priming with yellow is a massive pain in the rear armour. Even over a white foundation, by the time you’ve applied 2-3 yellow coats over the actual primer, other methods are already finished highlighting the red.

Consider straight Iyanden foundation on grey plastic- that's what the example was.  Two coats and you're done! 

Holy cow! The red over the Retributor Armour gives it a candy apple look! That is awesome! I had never thought of using glazes over a metallic color to get this type of look. Man I'm dumb. Thank you for sharing this!

4edcadf9526fac30acb7ede390162d9d--candy-

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: 

I may be having a small redesign of my colours.

Hey Mort, after reading your post regarding BA-Red, I’ve tried it out on a spare JP I had lying around. The effect is not bad, quite decent actually, using Yriel yellow as a foundation. :smile.:

Consider straight Iyanden foundation on grey plastic- that's what the example was. Two coats and you're done!

Huh, not a bad idea! I don’t have that paint anymore and I think it’s no longer being manufactured, right?

Foundation paints went away 7½ years ago when they launched the new paint range; base paints are their nominal replacement, though the coverage is definitely not the same.

In the absence of an airbrush, Army Painter daemonic yellow spray primer will do the job - it's close to the classic sunburst yellow or very close to yriel yellow layer according to my equivalence app (I don't have any yriel). For an equivalent to iyanden darksun I think army painter desert yellow spray would be fairly close, I can dig out my old pot from storage if anyone is that interested in a comparison.

For true matches to the old colours there's instar vintage paints who've matched them exactly, though their paints are much thinner than the old foundations.

In pot form, your best bet is probably averland sunset from the current range; in theory the base paints can be used as their own primer on plastic, though I personally wouldn't do it.

Edited by Arkhanist