Black Legion - Beginner

Keyrl

Hi everyone,

I'm coming back to the hobby after ... 20 years :smile.:

So, in order to start again, I'm beginning with my old love: The Black Legion.

I've done my first 3 marines and ... I'm not that happy with the result and in particular the edge highlight.

For the black armor, I'm using the Thunderawk blue and Fenrisian Grey after that ... and the result is not so good I feel.

So, you'll find the result of my work and I hope you can help me improving this poor work :sad.:

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

Keyrl

If you have a receipe for my Black armor, of course I’m interested !!!

It's more of a "quick and simple" thing, and I came up with it for my Raven Guard, but...

You start with a basecoat of a regular matte black - Abaddon Black is what I use. Simple enough.

Then you drybrush on a medium-light grey - I use Army Painter Uniform Grey at the moment, but anything with a medium-light color works - light grey LEGO blocks are a good example of the color. Drybrush somewhat heavy, but don't drown out the black entirely.

Do all your other details that need a black wash, then apply a black wash over all the armor to darken it back down and you're ready to rock.

As a fellow Black Legionnaire these look great to me, especially if you've been away for that long!

Out of curiosity, what is it about the black you don't like? I've recently started doing mine similar to yours but with Dark Reaper as the first highlight instead.

Thanks for your replies and help !

Out of curiosity, what is it about the black you don't like? I've recently started doing mine similar to yours but with Dark Reaper as the first highlight instead.

It’s more about the edge highlight of the black in fact. Maybe not enough highlighted and too « blueish »

I’ll try another set of 3 Chaos SM and see if I can thin the Thunderawk blue a little bit more maybe