Mephiston, Lemartes, Astorath Leaks

Chronos1985

What was expected for the two chaplains, but very disappointed in the changes for Mephiston; he really only got the bare minimum of there Primaris upgrade.

One detail of note is that the Red Thirst and Black Rage rules are no longer listed, but instead the Angels of Death rule is. I'm guessing Black Rage will be dependent on the Death Company keyword now, and perhaps our chapter tactic had been reworked somewhat.

The addition of litanies is huge. The +2" to charge litany is nutso for us. That's just great.

Mephiston's change is the most boring way they could have gone, but his PL didn't change, so maybe his points didn't? In which case, it is still a strict upgrade. Boring, but homie will have 6 attacks on the charge, before psychic powers.

Is the PRIEST keyword on our Chaplains ringing any bells for anyone?

It was added to SM chaplains in their codex, so I assume we're getting it for consistency. I don't know if anything keys off of it or not.

Thx Toaae!
Reading through the net, I got that PRIEST is unlocking Litanies of Battle. Since those are mentioned on the datasheets as well, would this mean we would be getting the generic Litanies the C:SMs got? 

That would would make GW's earlier exception that we cannot use those, only to give it to us after all few month later, pretty lame...

Something to consider: the rules for angels of death keyword are on page 34, with litanies on page 58. That's at least 24 pages of rules/datasheets etc.

If we compare that to the Templars in faith and fury, there were only 9 pages of rules between the start of their section of the book and litanies, with strats,warlord traits, relics etc coming after the litanies. Assuming Blood of Baal follows this layout, it looks like the sons  of Sanguinuis could be in for a bit a bumper set of new rules.

Something to consider: the rules for angels of death keyword are on page 34, with litanies on page 58. That's at least 24 pages of rules/datasheets etc.

If we compare that to the Templars in faith and fury, there were only 9 pages of rules between the start of their section of the book and litanies, with strats,warlord traits, relics etc coming after the litanies. Assuming Blood of Baal follows this layout, it looks like the sons  of Sanguinuis could be in for a bit a bumper set of new rules.

no... no please dont... dont make me hope. i cant take another heartbreak. :cry: :cry: :cry:

So, super underwhelming for Mephiston himself, but a few interesting things to note.

• Angels of Death instead of the Errata'd Shock Assault.
  • No Black Rage for Lemartes (likely/hopefully a missprint).
  • Litanies.
  • General reroll charges aura for Lemartes instead of just reroll failed charges.
  • Astorath' aura affecting non-BA DC as well (so it makes sense to have him visit successor chapters as in the lore).
Edited by sfPanzer

Interesting, both our chaplains got a lateral shift in power, while Mephiston only got the primaris upgrade.

Not sure I like the litanies that have to roll at the beginning to see if they work, the general aura was a lot better in that regards. Let’s see if the other litanies available to us are worth it then.

And I beleive the new Litanies don't work if you just arrived from reserves, because you need to do it at the start of the battle round. Considering most of our chaplains come with jump packs that's a definite downside; makes keeping them in reserve even less appealing.

That's why I said to UWoF the Chaplain. He starts on the table.

Did anyone notice the Master of Sanctity keyword on Astorath and chief Librarian on Mephiston? Astorath had nothing of the short and Mephiston used to have Chief Librarian Mephiston, now its Chief Librarian, Mephiston.

Yeah so it's in line with the other Space Marines and so they can reference it if we get similar Stratagems to turn noname characters into chief librarians or such.

And I beleive the new Litanies don't work if you just arrived from reserves, because you need to do it at the start of the battle round. Considering most of our chaplains come with jump packs that's a definite downside; makes keeping them in reserve even less appealing.

Oh yeah, I know, but that's 2 CP you didn't have to spend before for the always-on aura.

Oh yeah, I know, but that's 2 CP you didn't have to spend before for the always-on aura.

The always-on aura is only a minor effect anyway. Just take a Captain if you want re-rolls. The other litanies are much more interesting.

Yea, thats were I was going with it, strategems. I doubt we will get the stratagems to upgrade no-name characters since BA have most of the positions filled with named characters already. Maybe the successors. But, there might be strategems that work only on the Master of Sanctitiy, Chief Librarian etc.

The always-on aura is only a minor effect anyway. Just take a Captain if you want re-rolls. The other litanies are much more interesting.

Oh I just noticed Lemartes still has his always-on full re-roll to hit aura for Death Company. I figured he would lose that. That makes him even better!

Edited by RedemptionNL

I can grudgingly accept the limited upgrade on Mephiston on the grounds that even though he's probably more powerful than Tigurius (who is strong enough to probe the Hive Mind) and fluff-wise he may be getting stronger by the minute, he is trying to contain it so he doesn't let his powers loose. 

Astorath and Lemartes works on successor chapter death company now, that's nice to see. Knowing three litanies is also really useful.

One detail of note is that the Red Thirst and Black Rage rules are no longer listed, but instead the Angels of Death rule is.

Red Thirst has never been a datasheet rule.

Edited by Closet Skeleton